Wednesday, September 25, 2019

A Basket, a Tree, Two Letters, and a Star

There's nothing like knowing four little grands, their mom, and their aunt are coming to visit to get me on track to a quick finish.  Well, the finish of five blocks -- not a whole quilt finished.  These are my Cheddarback blocks for September and also my One Monthly Goal for this month.

Block 32
Cheddarback Block 32, 5" basket with fussy cut flowers
I auditioned six or eight fabrics but none seemed quit right for this block.  I dug deeper and found a 6" wide strip of fabric with bouquets of roses.  I would have shifted this fabric a little so the width of the bouquet was a little more centered but the fabric wasn't large enough.   This is a 5" block.

Block 33
Cheddarback Block 33, 12" Tree
One thing about making such a variety of blocks for Cheddarback is that you learn which ones you might like to make again -- or not.  This is one I doubt I'll make more again, though you can never tell for sure.  It was very time-consuming.  This is a 12" block.

Two Letters
Letter N for Cheddarback, 5" blockLetter D for Cheddarback, 5" block Cheddarback has five letters, two near the top and three toward the bottom.  Of the original letters, H, D, P, M, and another D, only the two Ds and the M work for my initials or for anyone else's in my family.  The D was easy, the N a little more challenging because I didn't have a pattern.  These are 5" blocks.

Block 31
Cheddarback Block 31, 5" pieced star
I posted about this 5" star a week or so ago.  You can read more about it here.

These are all of this month's blocks together.

I thought I had all the fabric I needed for the sashing and cornerstones but when I read the directions again, I realized that I don't have enough red.  Well, I have some red Moda Bella but it's a little on the rough side so I don't want to use it.  I don't know when I can get to the fabric store but soon, I hope.  (After family is gone.)

I laid out all the blocks just to have a look.  It's a poor photo but in real life it gives me an idea of what I might like to change.  I don't think I will change any of the little blocks.  Most are harder to make than the big ones--so much detail crammed into so few inches.  Of the big blocks, though, I question whether the Lily quilt block on the lower left is a little too blue.  I debated about using blue or brown and finally decided on the blue.  I might make a light/medium brown one, too.  I love that block pattern!


I'm linking this post to One Monthly Goal - September Finish Link-up at Elm Street Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Patty.
I'm also linking to BOMs Away at What a Hoot Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Lynette.

--Nancy.
.

27 comments:

  1. Love your Cheddarback blocks. I made a tree of life block once years ago for a sampler and I thought the same thing.... didn't think I would make a whole quilt of that block... although it's so pretty. I keep seeing Cheddarback on blogs....and I'm so tempted to jump in!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments about my blocks, Cynthia.  I haven't seen Cheddarback on many blogs, mostly on Facebook (where I don't think many participants have blogs).  You could join in.  Some of the blocks are challenging, some are easier.  The patterns from past months are $5.00/month now, but all the current and upcoming ones are free during the month they're published.

      Delete
  2. Your blocks are so lovely, a nd a good find with the rose floral for your basket block. Like Cynthia I've made only one Tree of Life block, mine was 24 inches, the center medallion block for my Biblical Blocks quilt. Have not been inspired to make another! Enjoy your time with the grands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat.  Wow, a 24" Tree of Life" is huge, but of course it's a wonderful size for the center of a medallion quilt.
      Sadly, my grands didn't come after all.  My daughter was sick.  They don't get up often but I hope we'll go down for a visit this month or early next month.

      Delete
  3. First of all, your little basket block is too cute for words. Second, if you do not have enough red for cornerstones, maybe you could eliminate them from the outside border and just do a plain sashing strip there. Finally, you could add more of the blue in a couple of other blocks. Just some thoughts from someone who hasn't even started the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris.  Great suggestions about the cornerstones and the blues.  I noticed that one of this month's blocks for Cheddarback is very close to the blue on I have been thinking about changing, and it's blue, too!  They are not close to each other in the quilt the eye might jump from one to the other.  I'll do this month's blue one in blue and then decide what to do about the earlier one I made. 

      Delete
  4. Nice collection of blocks. Lots of difficulty there, too. Congrats on getting them all done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennie.  I'm so grateful we have a mix of hard and easy blocks each month.  If they were all hard, I'm not sure I would keep going!

      Delete
  5. Your blocks are looking lovely! Enjoy your visit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanne. Sadly, my daughter and grands didn't come after all. My daughter was sick. I hope we'll see them later this month or early next months.

      Delete
  6. The pink basket and flowers are so cute. Look at all those rosebuds! So sweet. I wouldn't change a thing about the blue block. It's so pretty. You could just use another splash of blue in the upper right section of the quilt to balance it. It's going to be along quilt, isn't it? What kind of red are you using for the cornerstones? Maybe I have some I could share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin.  That blue block!  Did you see this month's blue block?  They are almost identical!  I don't know how I didn't notice that.  They won't be close together but I'm not sure about using the one from September.  I'll wait another few months to see how they look laying out and then decide what to do.
      I think the quilt is going to be about 84" or 86" long.  I queen bed is 80" long and after washing and drying mine usually shrink.  On the other hand, it might be about right for a single bed.  I think it will finish at about 72 inches.  Will that work for a single bed?
      I haven't given much thought to red fabric.  Thank you for offering.   I've been reconsidering the blue I bought for the outside sashing pieces (reconsidering after I saw your wonderful pink!).  I can't find a blue better than I have unless I see one at the quilt shop when I get there.

      Thanks, too, for your comment on the letters. They look better than I thought they would.  I don't know what I'll do about the last letter, either.  If I use my husband's first initial I'll have one N, two Ds, and two Ms.  Maybe I could just do an O so it looks like a letter or a quilt block.

      Delete
  7. Oh, and the initials turned out great. I didn't realize there were 5 initials in the whole quilt. Not sure what I'm going to do with that 5th letter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the fabric you found for your basket---beautiful and perfect! I think all your blocks are going to look great together once it's all sashed. I like Chris's idea for eliminating the outer corner stones to save fabric. Or you could just make-do like the original quiltmaker. It seems she didn't worry too much about things matching--lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen.  I wasn't sure about the blue block for September and now I'm even less sure after seeing a very similar blue block for this month!  They are almost the same.  I'm not going to change anything yet, but I may later.  It may work to eliminate the outer red cornerstones and let the sashing go to the edge.  Mrs. Cheddarback was a very make-do quilter but I noticed that it's the blocks where she made-do and not so much in the sashings and cornerstones.  All of her center blocks have the same sashing, the ones around the edge, another, and I think all the cornerstones are the same.  I'm trying to follow her lead but my efforts may just all fall apart soon.  Hard as the blocks are sometimes I am loving this challenge!

      Delete
  9. great block collection! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Nancy, how satisfying to see all those lovely blocks laid out. I know what you mean about liking a block enough to want to make it again. I remember when I did Farmer's Wife there were several I really liked but I've forgotten now. Have fun now with the family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Jocelyn, it is fun to see all the blocks together.  I'm hoping that if I sew them together I can resist the urge to remake or change them! 

      Delete
  11. The rose bouquet is really cute! Great find!
    Good job on the letters.
    I think when it is all together, that blue block will not stand out. But if you don't love it, now is definitely the best time to make a change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet.
      I love the blue block but one of the blocks for this month is very, very similar to this blue block, and it's blue, too!  I don't know how I missed that, except that they are not near each other and are on the diagonal.  No changes yet but I'll be considering as we make more blocks.

      Delete
  12. Love your Cheddarback blocks,. The rose bouquet is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karrin.  Finding the fabric with the roses amongst other flower fabric was such a nice surprise.

      Delete
  13. Oh, wow! I really love the effect of the floral fabric on the basket blocks. Also, you did a marvelous job of keeping the stripes directional on the tree block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynette.  It's easy to keep strips in the same direction when they woven:  you can just turn the piece over if it's going in the wrong direction.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...