Thursday, September 12, 2019

The Making of a Star

This is my imperfect version of Cheddarback Block 31, a five-inch star.

Cheddarback Block 31

As I was choosing and cutting fabric I wondered of Mrs. Cheddarback had second thoughts about her fabric choices after she finished the block.  (You can see her original block here.)  My fabrics are similar to hers though my plaid might be a tad darker.  I think the full effect of the star disappears because the plaid is so close in color to the background fabric.  I can't help but imagine how delightful this star would look with stripes instead of plaid with the stripes running perpendicular to the center seams on each point.  Not Cheddarback style but much fun, I think.

Blocks like this intimidate me.  Such tiny pieces, so many seams, so many points, must measure 5½" after sewn, etc., etc.  For this block I needed 4 of each pattern piece.  I start by cutting out all the pieces and pinning them in stacks behind the pattern piece.


Then I lay out all the pieces just exactly as they will go in the block.  I used the section below as a trial to see if it would come out the correct size.  It did!


It's on the right, below.  Then I lay out all the other pieces.  This block was easier than I expected because each quadrant is the same.  I pin the pieces of each section just as they will be sewn, stitch all that are pinned, then press.  Next, I pin subsequent pieces together, sew, press, and lay out again, until all the pieces of each quadrant are sewn.  The only thing left to pin and stitch are the two upper and lower quadrants, then the center seam. 


And there's a quilt block.  Not a perfect one, mind you, but close enough for me not to remake it.

Cheddarback Block 31

Had I thought a little more about the plaid I would have cut the center edge of each star point on the same line of the plaid, as in the upper center and the upper left points.  It would have added a little continuity to the block.

Now that September  is nearly half over -- how time flies! -- I'm grateful I chose just the five Cheddarback blocks for my monthly goal.  Since Pathway is beginning again that's taken lots of time meeting, greeting, and helping students understand the program.  And we were out of town visiting my daughters and attending grandparents day lunch at school with two of our grands last week.  How fun to spend time with them!

While there we had an abbreviated tour of the Jack Jouett House.  Captain Jack Jouett is a relatively unknown Revolutionary War hero who rode 40 miles through the night forest to warn Thomas Jefferson of British Capt. Tarleton's approach.  His action helped saved Jefferson from capture.  Jouett is sometimes called the Paul Revere of the South.

The house was oh-so-charming, though it is hard to imagine living there with more than one or two children.  Jouett had 12!  I was sad the summer kitchen (used all year, from what I could tell) was closed for renovation.  We'll have to see that another time.

I love the silhouette logo with rider and horse dashing to Monticello.

I hope whatever you're doing brings you joy!

--Nancy.

10 comments:

  1. I think your star looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris.  I think this just goes to show that photographs lie!  ;-) 

      Delete
  2. I love your star. I wouldn't change a thing. I've been working on Cheddarback letters today. I made the "R". It was quite tricky but then, I haven't done paper piecing for a long time

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK that is some seriously advanced piecing. Beautiful star. Working with Pathway students sounds awesome - something I'd love to do someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL.  Thank you, Cynthia.  Advanced, perhaps, but one block of it is enough for me.  Never a whole quilt!

      Delete
  4. Well if blocks like this intimidate you Nancy, imagine what they do to me. Though I love them and want badly to make them! You've done an awesome job with this one and I like your fabric choices very much. Happy Stitching, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jocelyn.  When I broke the block into sections it wasn't as awful as I thought it would be.  I'm sure you could do it!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...