Saturday, December 7, 2019

Auditioning Borders for Maple Leaves

I found just enough time to sew the maple leaf blocks together--after Thanksgiving, I think.

I forgot to take a photo before auditioning border fabrics.  The first photo is without a flash, the second with a flash.  They look like different quilts!  I think the true colors are somewhere between the two photos. 

maple leaf quilt in autumn colors

maple leaf quilt in autumn colors

It seems I make most quilts one step at a time.  Choose a block, choose fabrics.  Make a few blocks to see how they look.  Make a few more and lay them out together.  Keep adding.  Decide on sashing or not.  Rearrange till satisfied.  Sew blocks together.  Then consider a border.  That's just where I am now.  Considering a border.

I always thought an autumn-colored border would be good for the maple leaves, but when I placed these first two fabrics around the edges, they seemed to drag the whole quilt down.  (I've always had the impression of seeing the autumn leaves as they just begin floating gently to the ground.)



Then I thought maybe light blues similar to some of the ones used as backgrounds in the blocks might work for a border.  Like these two.  I hoped the blues would help the leaves continue to float.  And in the very last photo I added some dark blues.



And then I remembered this brown/black/gold print that I thought might be great.


Here are a few more photos with some fabrics placed around the edges.

maple leaf quilt in autumn colors

I don't suppose short strips of fabric give a true indication of how a complete border would look, do they?  But I don't want to cut the fabric in strips to go around the quilt only to decide not to use that particular fabric.  How do you audition border fabrics?

maple leaf quilt in autumn colors

Below you can see the two different darker blues I auditioned.  I tried a red/orange fabric but wasn't impressed (and didn't take a photo).

maple leaf quilt in autumn colors

Possible border options include
  • a narrow one-inch, dark border next to the leaves with a wider, light/medium border around the edge, and a dark binding
  • a border the color of one of the backgrounds.
  • a dark border
  • a light border
  • or...?
I don't have too much time to devote to this quilt just now, and it can't stay on the floor too long with family coming again soon for Christmas.  I thought if I could just decide on the border fabric I'd know the next step to take when I have time to work on it again.  But then again, rushing through a decision on a quilt is never a good idea (at least for me).

--Nancy.
.

20 comments:

  1. I second that. I think the effect of the leaves floating is really nice with that blue you have on the bottom--or something close to it. Much as I love fall colors (and believe me, I do), I think the leaves sparkle like on a sunny autumn day with the blue border. I wouldn't use any brown in the border if it was mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts about the colors for the border, Janet.  I need to open out some of the fabrics and look at them for a day or two.  I agree about not using a brown border.  No more floating leaves with brown!

      Delete
  2. I have an 8 foot design wall and I open up the potential border fabric and put it on the wall then arrange the blocks on top. I usually have sashing between the blocks and I can move blocks around to see how it looks at different widths. I leave it up for a while before making a final decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful that you have a huge design wall, Chris!  It is one of my hopes for the future.  I think I would use one just as you do!  I considered sashing between these blocks but decided it would make them more static when I wanted the impression of leaves floating.  Thanks for sharing  your thoughts.

      Delete
  3. I really like the deeper blue shown toward the back of your last photo. I'm sure you'll get 10 different opinions from 10 commenters though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Pat.  We just all see so differently and have different preferences.  I decided against the browns but haven't decided for any of the other fabrics yet.  I need to lay each fabric as a border to get a better idea.  And I think I need to make sure I have enough of any one of the fabrics before choosing!  Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the border fabric.

      Delete
  4. if it were mine, i'd choose a single border about 3-4 inches to 'corral' the leaves and frame it...and use the darker of the blue or brown....anyway just my preference...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts about the border, Grace.  I've pulled away several of the fabrics and will spread out the ones that are left so they look more like a border on at least two sides and then decide.  A photograph is so helpful sometimes!

      Delete
  5. Oh! I thought you were doing a chunky border of ALL the fabrics. I actually like it like that! Maybe not the most popular option, but it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about border options for this quilt, Joyful.  The idea of a scrappy border crossed my mind but didn't hang around very long.  To my eye, the quilt needs a solid border. 

      Delete
  6. I like all the choicse, you have such a great eye for color. Maybe my fave is the blue in the front and the orangey brown front right. I audition like you do, the I usually unfold the tryout choice as much as possible and lay the top on top. I too often wait for a few days to be sure I am happy with my choices. PS I think a single 6" border will focus on the swirling leaves, no inner borders b=needed. Ruins the natural organic effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind, Lizzy!  I decided against the narrow, inner border.  And I was thinking a 5" border (about half as wide as a block -- they're 9").  I may go wider but it will depend on how much fabric I have.  Several colors are shirts and one or two of the pieces are about a yard long.  But I haven't decided on which fabric yet.  Like  you, I usually lay the fabric options under the quilt so they extend as wide as a border.  I just haven't gotten that far yet.  I'll have to do it in the next few days or I'll have to wait until January, which may happen anyway.
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Lizzy.

      Delete
  7. I agree with Janet. I love the look of the blue. I also liked the Joyful Quilters comment about it being a chunky border. You have to admit that makes the quilt quite playful looking. It also gives movement which autumn leaves need to sparkle. I don't think you can go wrong whatever you choose, it's a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Robin, and for your encouragement.  I'm thinking not the chunky, multi-colored border.  I don't think it will add enough to the quilt considering how much movement is already going on with the leaves.  I hope to lay the fabrics under the quilts to create the look of a border around parts of two sides, and then I'll decide.

      Delete
  8. I think somehow the blue is picking up and echoing the pretty blues in the leaves, maybe that’s why folks seem to be favouring it. It seems to be doing that with my eyes. Nancy, another thoughtful, interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, Jocelyn, most everyone who left a comment thought one of the blues would be the best choice.  Looking at the photos again I'm leaning toward one of the blues but I want to lay them out so they go around parts of at least two sides before I decide.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

      Delete
  9. I liked option 1 - a narrow dark border, then a wider lighter/mediumish one. Or maybe a narrow bright border instead of the dark one...
    You'll find a good solution that makes your heart sing. No hurry for this process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the colors, Gayle.  And I try to go with "no hurry" when choosing fabricss.  In fact, I sometimes think that may be why I get so little done.  I spend too long choosing!  Ha!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...