Friday, April 17, 2020

Staying Home to Sew on Friday Night

There's no question about the staying home part during these cornavirus days.  The only question on a Friday night is to sew or not to sew.  This week I'm sewing.


This is what I'll be working on/playing around with.  This block is just so quirky and unusual, what's not to love about it?

This is Cheddarback Block 62.  I've been cutting pieces for the last of the blocks for that sew-along and when I came to this one it drew me in.  Gay gave us a variation of this pattern but I really want to reproduce the original if I can manage it.  So, based on her pattern, with a few alterations, I'm giving it a try.

I printed the photo hoping the block would measure 5" because that would make it really easy to calculate the measurements.  But no, my printer didn't offer the option to choose that particular finished size.  So I'm experimenting, hoping that 1½" stripes will be the right size.

I'll let you know how it goes.

And I have a little joke for you.
     I ordered a chicken and an egg from Amazon.
     I'll let you know.

Okay, I'm off to cut and sew.  I'll update this post when the block is finished!
Edit:  Instead of updating this post I wrote a new post (because it wasn't just another photo but a more detailed post) which you can read here.

I'm linking this post to Friday Night Sew In (F.N.S.I.) at Sugarlane Designs.  Thanks for hosting, Wendy.

--Nancy.
.

16 comments:

  1. What a complicated looking block! I hope the sewing went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyful.  It was a complicated block but it came together really well.  Unfortunately, it was too large by at least half an inch so I remade in to Saturday.  And now it's DONE!

      Delete
  2. Love the weaved look. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen.  It was an interesting block to make those strips look like they were woven. 

      Delete
  3. Challenging block...good luck;)))
    ~ ~ ~ waves from Rain soaked CT Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julierose.  The block came out great (though it was time-consuming) but it was the wrong size.  I remade it on Saturday.

      Delete
  4. Well, you are braver than I am Nancy--I took a look at that block and didn't even print it out! I know you will nail it! I'm dying to know more about the chicken and egg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I cannot be braver than you.  I've seen some of the finely detailed work you do. 
      This particular block was a little intimidating to me when I first looked at it.  Then when I picked apart the photo I realized that the only hard part would be the partial seams in the center section. 

      About the chicken and the egg....  The ages old question is, which came first:  the chicken or the egg?  I know, it's a corny joke but it made me chuckle.

      Delete
  5. I love your block so far. I wish I'd tried to figure out the weaving but I just made up the block Gay provided. The important part is that it gets done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and you're right, Robin.  Having it finished is the most important thing!  I liked the pattern Gay provided (and it was the same pattern just with different color placement) but I liked the quirkiness of the original block.  I guess, since this is my first time trying to "reproduce" an old quilt, I'm trying to stay as true to the original as I can -- which, I'm finding, isn't really very true as far as fabrics go.

      Delete
  6. That's a tricky block you are working on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Maria, it was tricky.  I had to pay close attention to the photo!

      Delete
  7. it does look a bit challenging - bit it seems you have it sorted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was challenging, Susan.  I had to pay close attention to the photo but it worked.  Unfortunately, it was a little too large so I made another the next day with narrow strips and it worked.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...