Saturday, April 18, 2020

The Outcome of My Friday Night Sew-In and Saturday's Sewing

Not that there's a whole lot of interest in this particular Cheddarback block but I thought I'd share the results of my Friday Night Sew-In.  You can read last night's post and see photos of the original block here.

The original block and the pattern Gay gave us did not look the same to me.  I see now that it was just the change of color placement that was so different.  Anyway, instead of 1 3/8" strips and squares in her pattern, I cut them at 1 1/2" last night.

The block was too big!

The masking tape around the edge shows the cutting line.  The stitching line would be 1/4" inside that.  The corners would disappear and there are definitely corners on the original block.  Back to the cutting mat.

But before cutting I asked one of the Cheddarback members on Facebook who'd made the block which looks like the original if she cut to Gay's pattern and, indeed, she did cut the pieces at 1 3/8".  So I set to work again this morning.

Better but now the block is just a tad too small, no matter that I cut on the outside of the 1 3/8" mark and stitched a just-barely 1/4" seam.


On the lower right side you can see a jagged edge....  There will be enough fabric on the outside of the seam line but it will be close.

For me it was a Friday Night Sew In and a Saturday Afternoon Sew In, too.  But it's done!

On to cutting out the rest of the Cheddarback blocks.  Maybe I'll get some pinned and one or two sewn today, too.

I hope you're having a great day today.  We have sun, a beautiful sight after so many rainy and cloudy days.

--Nancy.
.

13 comments:

  1. WOW that is one tough block--you are a brave lady to re-do it...I don't like any "1/8ths" cutting measurements...I have more than enough troubles with scant 1/4" myself ;000But I think it came out beautifully--good for you...nice work ~ ~ ~ waves from the masked sewist-- Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Julierose.  It was a challenging block, for sure.  Worth it, though I see a spot or two I would change if I could do it easily.  Since I can't, I'll leave it as is.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, Julierose.  It was a challenging block, for sure.  Worth it, though I see a spot or two I would change if I could do it easily.  Since I can't, I'll leave it as is.

      Delete
  2. Good Save! I like that block and the way you arranged the stripes is very effective! take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire!  I like the stripes going across, too, but I was just copying the arrangement in the original block. 

      Delete
  3. Both versions look great. I d have used the first block and just chopped off the points, as probably would have been donne ''back in the day". Good for you to try again, such patience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy.  I thought about chopping the first one to the correct size but I would have lost the white corners and I thought the block needed them.  I don't know about patience, maybe just persistence.

      Delete
  4. Everyone is talking about what a great experience it has been to make this quilt. I have the first five blocks done. I found it very hard. I am not a newbie. But I am going forward. I will probably have the distinction of being the last one to finish! I really love this quilt. Your post has given me inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Joan.  I thought several of the first five blocks were hard too, especially that little 5" knot block.  We who say this quilt has been a great experience may be referring to the challenge of it and the satisfaction of successfully completing the really hard blocks. For me part of the fun was choosing fabrics as close to the original ones as I could find.  The other thing was the new techniques I learned.  I had never foundation paper-pieced before (and probably won't again) or sewn Y-seams. 

      I hope you'll find some enjoyment in doing it.  Are you a member of the Facebook group for this quilt.  You'll get some support there, too, if you post photos and ask questions when you have a challenge.

      Delete
  5. It turned out great. Persistence is always rewarded. You're almost finished. What a great quilt it will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin.  I still see some problems with that little block but I'm not going to remake it a third time!  Yes, I think this quilt will be great, too.  I hope to choose backing fabric for it soon.  I can't remember if you chose a cheddar fabric or something else.  And remind me, please, how did you decide to quilt it?

      Delete
  6. You were very persistent with that block and the outcome is very nice! I like the woven effect. I'd really like to make this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia.  Someone said she though I was patient but I told her I was just persistent.  I was more than ready for that block to be finished!  Did you download the patterns each month when they were free?  The blocks are fun but challenging.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...