Friday, May 8, 2020

Little Rubies, A Finish

Little Rubies is my first complete finish of 2020!  I'm so happy that it's quilted and bound, washed and dried.  Completely finished.  This was a scrappy quilt from the start and it looks scrappy at it's finish.  It was a hard quilt to photograph.  The first and last photos were taken outside, the middle one was inside.

Little Rubies made of triple four-patch quilt blocks

The blocks in this quilt are double and triple-four-patch blocks. The small rubies which create the diagonals finish at 3/4", the large rubies creating the circlets finish at 1 1/2", all sewn with brown to make 12" blocks.

I have some ambivalence about this quilt.  I'm not thrilled about how the browns look so chunky and uneven.  Blocks of dark brown next to blocks of medium brown next to prints.  No blending at all.  Had I had a plan from the beginning I could have used the various shades of brown to create an additional pattern.  It is as it is because I began with scraps and as the blocks evolved I chose to focus on the rubies -- the strands and the circlets. 

Little Rubies made of triple four-patch quilt blocks

My biggest regret about this quilt is that I used Moda Bella on the back.  I wish I'd chosen some other fabric.  The word "bella" in Spanish and Italian means "beautiful" but Moda Bella is anything but.  It gets such good ratings but I found that it's scruffy, almost like woven polyester after it's been washed a few times, and uncomfortable against the skin.  I'll never buy it again.

Little Rubies made of triple four-patch quilt blocks

On the plus side, I love red and brown together.  I love the layout of the blocks.  And I love how the small rubies trail across the quilt, some bright, some dark, and some sparkling.

I am trusting that someone will love this quilt and enjoy its warmth on a cold winter night or for an afternoon nap.  And I'm so glad it's finished!

I'm linking this post to
> Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday (TGIFF) at Pretty Piney
> Brag about Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
> Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
> Finished or Not Finished at Alycia Quilts
> Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More 
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

 -Nancy.
.

22 comments:

  1. You finished it? Hooray!!! I've been waiting patiently for this moment . I adore this quilt! Sorry that you are unhappy with some of your choices. I'd be thrilled to give it a home! :o))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyful.  I'm so glad you like it.  I just may box it up and send it to you!

      Delete
  2. It's is very beautiful! I love the browns , how the random placements give texture and movement. The rubies are glowing and perfect. Too bad about the Bella backing, it is so hard to find good quality cotton nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy.  You, and others, are seeing what I can't seem to see about this quilt.  Maybe one of these days I'll appreciate how the browns play.
      There are two solid fabrics that I've found and love -- soft, durable, with a great hand.  One is Riley Blake's Confetti Cottons and the other is Michael Miller's Cotton Couture.  Sadly, the two quilt shops I can get to by car do not sell either one of them.  How I wish they did (instead of Bella).

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with Lizzy! The "chunkiness" as you refer to it, in my mind gives depth and dimension to the quilt. That is what working with scraps is all about. If you have planned a secondary design with the shades of brown I feel you would have lost some scrappy charm in the process.
    Like you, I am not impressed with the feel of the Moda Bella solids. Actually, I haven't found a line of solids that really feels nice to the touch. But I love the plain Moda Muslin, NOT to be confused with the Moda Bella Muslin. They are two totally different animals (or fabrics). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank  you for your kind words about this quilt, Janet.  I hope to some day see in it what you see!
      Thanks, too, for the information about Moda muslin.  I'll have to keep an eye out for it. 

      Delete
  4. Beautiful finish on this--I love those tiny diagonal blocks...that is very tiny!! I think that the darker browns move your eye around to find others of the same depth of color--its scrappy feel is wonderful...great job
    ~ ~ ~ waving with mittens on again Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose.  What kind comments about this quilt!

      Delete
  5. I think what I love most about this quilt is the random scrappiness of your background squares. They're the backup chorus behind the stars of the show, like a delicate chocolate cake with fresh raspberry topping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat.  You have a great way with words.  I'll try to keep the backup chorus in mind when I look at this quilt.

      Delete
  6. I was so dazzled by the lovely rubies sparkling throughout the quilt that the brown background never seemed chunky to me. I love the scrappiness of it. Quilting Babcia's comment about it being, "like a delicate chocolate cake with fresh raspberry topping," captures the look of the quilt perfectly. I think trying to create a secondary pattern with the brown might have distracted from the beauty of the red. I am jealous of anyone who can work with such tiny squares. It will be a great quilt to cuddle under.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind, Katie, to say such sweet things about this quilt.  I would not have begun with the tiny blocks but ended up doing so because I worked backward.  I made the medium squares first (2" squares that finished at 1 1/2"), then some larger ones (that finished at 3"), and finally realized that I needed the tiny ones, too.

      Delete
  7. I agree with the comments above. It's a great looking dazzling quilt and the randomness of the brown is nothing but charming. Interesting about the moda bella. I need to keep better track of the solids I buy. Some are soft, some aren't, and I just haven't paid attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia.  I'm going to hold onto "charming." 
      I don't mind less than soft and smooth on the front of a quilt but I really want soft on the back.  If it's not on a bed but on me or somebody else when napping, I think soft and smooth feels much better.

      Delete
  8. You are too hard on yourself. This a wonderful quilt. It is going to have quite a story to tell someday as it get inherited and passed down. I've always loved the name you gave it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin.  You're so kind.  I do wonder if this will stay in the family or get passed on sooner than later.  My older daughter may like to have it!

      Delete
  9. I really like that pattern! I am so sorry about the backing - but thank you for letting us all know! It will be loved and it will definitely keep someone warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alycia.  I know lots of people like Bella and may you have used it and do like it -- it's just not the fabric for me.  I hope someone loves this quilt!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful quilt, and great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful! Love the colors

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...