Thursday, May 7, 2020

Last of the Cheddarback Blocks

For you who may not know, Cheddarback is a block of the month sew-along offered by Gay Bomers of Sentimental Stitches.  We began making the blocks last March and when so many of us were asked to stay at home because of the pandemic, Gay gave us the last ten blocks together instead of over several months' time.  These first two blocks are remakes.  The last ten in this post will allow me to sew together the rest of the quilt.  There's a quilt top finish coming soon!

Block 26
Cheddarback Block 26
This is a 12" block which will go on the bottom left corner.  This row of blocks was not in the original quilt.  Gay gave us a Barrister's Block pattern and also suggested we could choose a different pattern.  I made a block I thought was perfect but found it too similar to another block in the quilt. Then I chose this pattern and made it with blues and a creamy print.  When I placed it with the rest of the blocks I realized that using a print background was very unlike the choices the original Cheddarback creator made.  She most often used plaids, stripes, or ginghams with darker prints.  So I remade the block.  Perhaps it's not really the way the creator would have used these stripes (if she would have used these stripes at all) but I like it better than the first two blocks.  So this one will get stitched into the quilt.  (If you've been counting you'll realize that I now have two 12" blue orphan blocks.)

Block 35
Cheddarback Block 35
This is a 12" block and also a second version.  The first one I made had a fabric with very light stripes and much darker blues.  I like this version better.  I don't know if you can tell but the flowers in the lighter blue fabric are yellow/orange.  I colored them so they would be just slightly closer to the fabric in the original quilt.  (And remaking this block means I now have three 12" blue orphan blocks.)

Block 59
Cheddarback Block 59
This is a 12" block.  The original had a tan paisley fabric but I had nothing similar.  This light print was the closest I could find.  This was a simple block to make.

Block 60
Cheddarback Block 60
This is a 5" block.  This was a paper-pieced pattern.  If you've been reading my progress on this quilt you'll know I don't like that method of creating blocks.  So I paper pieced only the geese then cut out the rest of the blocks using the paper pattern, leaving 1/4" on all sides, and stitched the rest of the block.  I'll do almost anything to avoid paper piecing.

Block 61
Cheddarback Block 61
This is a 5" block.  This block was cut using paper templates.  My colors are similar to hers and I find them unusual.  From a distance the star in the center disappears completely and this block looks like a large X.

Block 62
Cheddarback Block 62
This is a 5" block.  I wrote about this block here and here.  It was a bit of a challenge and it's obvious there are some glitches in the striped fabric where the seams create a little too much white or red.  The original fabric was a wavy red and white stripe and her seams barely showed.  Oh, to have had some of her original fabric for this block!

Block 63
Cheddarback Block 63
This is a 5" block.  This was a letter block in the original quilt this but since I didn't want to more letters, I made this block.  It was simple to create since each square finishes at an inch -- five across for a 5" block.

Block 64
Cheddarback Block 64
This is a 12" block.  When I've substituted or added blocks I've chosen ones that were created/published about the time the original Cheddarback quilt was made, probably 1890-1910.  But when I saw the black and white pattern for this 2014 block, called Aunt Dinah, I thought it looked liked it could have been made earlier and I saw the potential to use striped fabric as the Cheddarback creator did.  I think the stripes could have been put to better use but I'm not going to remake it.

Block 65
Cheddarback Block 65
This is a 5" block.  This was one of the easiest of these last blocks to make.  It is a substitute for a letter block.

Block 66
Cheddarback Block 66
This is a 5" block.  This was another paper-pieced pattern, necessitated by the fact that 5 divided by 3 does not come out to a number we have on our quilting rulers.  To avoid paper piecing, I did the division and found that 2 3/16" x 3 comes out to 5 9/16" (after sewing the center seams).  I decided to cut on the narrow side of 2 3/16" (yes, I had to consistently estimate just where that was on the ruler) and sew on the wide side of 1/4".  It worked just fine.  Another success avoiding paper piecing!

Block 67
Cheddarback Block 67
This is a 5" block.  This was another paper pieced block which I didn't paper piece.

Block 68
Cheddarback Block 68
This is a 5" block.  The original has dark green checked fabric.  The best I could come up with was this black plaid.  It works for me.

And that's the end of the Cheddarback blocks, though probably not the end of posts about the blocks.  It's been a fun sew-along and I'm grateful to Gay Bomers for recreating the patterns and making them available to us.

I hope you're staying safe and enjoying the change of seasons.

I'm linking this post to
> Needle and Thread Thursday (NTT) at My Quilt Infatuation
> Off the Wall at Nina Marie Sayre's blog
> Put Your Foot Down at For the love of geese
> Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
> Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
> Can I get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.
.

16 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo! That has got to feel good to have all of the blocks made! Congrats, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed seeing your finished basket block, Nancy as well as these wonderful ones as well. Well done, my friend. I do enjoy reading all about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all your blocks look great and there's no need to remake any of them to my eyes. You will have a wonderful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen.  In fact, I did need to remake one.  That little double 4-patch block with sashing was almost identical to a block that was two over from it on the same row!  I made a little basket.  But the rest are staying!

      Delete
  4. Your quilt will be wonderful. So glad she gave the rest of the block patterns. So many are really struggling with how to spend all their extra time. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down. Please come back and share your finish. Well not just to share your finish on this one, other projects as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise.  I often forget to link up my posts but I'll try to remember to come back to yours!  Do you want us to post only complete finishes?  I wasn't sure when I liked up.

      Delete
  5. Wow! You've been busy. The blocks look great, especially that blue and tan one, nice pattern. It will be fun to see it all together. Do you have any plans for your orphan blocks or do you do what I do. . . toss them in the orphan box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin.  It feels like I am often working on something but not accomplishing a lot, but looking back over the past few weeks, I guess I've finished more than I realized.  I like that blue and tan block, too.  I put the final stitches in the quilt this afternoon.  There are sections of the edge that are a little wavy.  I'm going to have to figure out what the problem is and whether I can do something about it.  I wonder if some of my blocks are a hair too small, or too large.
      About those three blue orphans.  I can put one in a box, I can even put two in a box, but three is a collection -- enough to begin another quilt.  I'm trying to stay committed to finishing for now instead of starting.  It's been hard!  Of course, that doesn't stop me from looking through Judy Hopkins's 501 Rotary Cut Quilt Blocks for blocks to go with those three.  Maybe making a blue and light quilt will help cure me of my lack of enthusiasm for blue.  Haha.

      Delete
  6. These blocks are all so beautifully made and so authentic. You should be so very proud of what you've accomplished with this project. I m looking forward to the finishes of the setting and quilting too.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy.  They're not perfect but they're good enough for now. I was thinking today about why I feel so triumphant about finishing these blocks and sewing them into a quilt.  It's just a quilt, just a bunch of blocks, really.  But it's probably one of the hardest quilts I've ever made.  I finished sewing the blocks together and adding the sashing today but I have a few ruffles around an edge or two.  I need to figure out what the problem is and whether I can/need to correct it. 

      Delete
  7. Those are all lovely blocks. It's going to be a gorgeous quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are so pretty! and what a great thing to work on during a stay at home!!! Much more fun than being bored!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alycia.  Oh, for sure, much better than doing nothing! 

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...