Sunday, February 14, 2021

Happy Valentine's Day, Friends

Years ago, perhaps 30, I saw an article in a magazine showing woven hearts-and-hands. 



Being a weaver at heart at the time, I made some for Valentine's Day that year.  These are leftovers from the ones I gave away.


A Little of the History of Hearts-and-Hands
Hearts-and-hands were created and given as early as the late 1600s as tokens of affection on any day of the year.  By the 1700s they began to be adopted as expressions of affection on Valentine's Day.  By the mid-1800s Godey's Lady's Book and Harper's Weekly include Valentine's verses and cut paper projects.  Read more here, at the American Folk Art Museum website

I wish you and yours a Happy Valentine's Day, friends.

--Nancy.

8 comments:

  1. Your heart-and-hands are so charming. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia.  We had a quiet day.  I hope yours was great!  (It seems like ages ago now.)

      Delete
  2. I would never attempt anything like these woven hands and hearts. You are so amazing. I love that you have kept these magazine pages. As I am going through my family history in boxes, it makes me remember my past as well. These are something meaningful from your past and I'm grateful you shared them with us today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hearts and hands were challenging to make, Robin, but really very doable with care.  I'm sure you could manage it.  It was a surprise that I remembered them, especially the day before Valentine's Day.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed the history here; both your history with the woven hearts, and the history of these "love tokens".
    Not sure I would have had the courage to try making these, but yours are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet.  I have no doubt that you could make them, especially since you make those tiny quilts.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...