Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Border Questions

Let me tell you, there is nothing like a quilt made from blocks with many small pieces to let you know how you're managing your quarter-inch seams!  A block with 97 pieces has a lot of room for error.  
Burgoyne Surrounded
I'm still considering an applique border of oak leaves and acorns for this quilt and thinking about how to do the border.  I have a question for you with experience.  Is it better to applique the border before sewing it to the quilt or better to sew the border to the quilt and then applique the pieces?  I know it would be easier to handle just a strip of fabric when appliqueing but isn't there a good chance of stretching it out of shape?  What say you dear quilters?  What are your experiences?

I have another question about a border for this little quilt which will finish at about 18" x 23".
Dear Prudence
I have a fat quarter of fabric which is definitely large enough to cut the border, but it's not long enough, going with the grain, without piecing.  Because it's a small quilt will it work to cut the fabric cross-grain for the border?  I know cross-grain stretches.  I would never do that for a large quilt but I thought maybe I could get by with it for this little one.  Does anyone have experience with cross-grain borders on small quilts??  Thanks so much!

Whether or not I have to sew strips to make borders, I think I'm still on track to get this little quilt layered and pin-basted by the end of the month.

I hope you're having a good week.

--Nancy.

13 comments:

  1. For the applique borders, I would do the applique, then attach. Cut them a little bigger so you can trim off any frayed edges that happen in the process of handling. I've done it that way and it worked nicely. As for the littler quilt and bias borders, I say go for it. If you're quilting it yourself, you'll know about it. If you're sending it out, warn your longarmer - they'll appreciate the warning! Good luck and I look forward to seeing both come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the appliqued border, Katie.  I like the idea of an appliqued border but I'm not sure how much I'll like the process!  And for sharing  your thoughts about the border on the little quilt.  I don't want to piece so I'll use fabric cut cross-grain.  I'll be quilting it myself and will be careful so I think it will work.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Katy, above, do the borders separately. Are you needleturning the applique? Whatever method you do, handling the entire border and the quilt is just to much, plus it wears on your main quilt.

    I would piece the borders length of grain. The quilting will hide the seam, or insert a contrast square on each center side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I was rushed---the second comment refers to your small quilt. And *too* typo.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Lizzy. I will do the applique borders separately. It makes sense to do them that way, it just makes me a little apprehensive. Heck, I'm starting to chicken out on the applique altogether.
      For the little quilt I chose to cut cross-grain pieces. I think they will work if I'm really careful. Sadly, I'm not sure I'll be keeping the outside pink border, though. Too much pink!

      Delete
  3. I always do the border applique separately and then cut them to size when it's time to sew them to the quilt. Sometimes the applique merges into the corner and you will have to handle the whole quilt to applique it together. This quilt will look wonderful with an oakleaf border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input, Robin. When appliqueing the borders first how do you make sure everything's centered or spaced just as it should be? I appreciate the tip about the corners. I'll try to plan for that.

      Delete
  4. You have received good counsel from people who know what they are talking about.
    As to the little quilt, I use cross grain cuts for borders on my little quilts quite often. I use lengthwise grain for bed quilts, but have never had a problem with the cross grain on my little quilts.
    Your little quilt turned out very well, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet.  I cut and stitched cross-grain borders and I think they will work okay if I'm careful.  Sadly, I'm not in love with that outer pink border and will probably change it. 

      Delete
  5. I would definitely have to handle the border pieces separately just because I'm not good with larger pieces of fabric. You have good advice in the comments, Nancy. Enjoyed seeing both these quilt tops...so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about how to do the borders with applique, Jocelyn.  I'm planning to applique first.

      Delete
  6. There are those who do each way on appliqué borders, but you can tell that most of us prefer border first, then attach. On the small quilt, again, you can do either one, if you are careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. Appliqueing borders first it will be. And I cut cross-grain and will be careful!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...