Monday, November 15, 2021

Oh, Ugh!

It's just too much pink!  I cannot keep this border.  Okay, granted, it may look fine in the photo, but in person--ugh. 
What happened between seeing the quilt below, the original quilt for Pam Buda's Dear Prudence sew-along, and making the quilt above.  What did my eyes not see?  Maybe I focused on those tiny Birds in the Air blocks made in those awesome colors?  I don't know, but somehow I missed the mark--the likeability mark for my own eyes.
Of course the border is already sewn on.  I'm grateful it's a small quilt and won't take too long to unstitch.

Now I'm auditioning fabrics.  The four fabrics around around the edges in the two photos below are the ones I'm considering.  They were options for the blocks that I didn't think were close enough to the fabrics in the original quilt to use.
The fabrics on right and left are reproductions; the other two are not but I thought the colors worked well.  Below is a different view that shows the fabrics better.  It would be good if I could manage at least a hint of contrast between the inner and outer borders.
It is a sad fact that I have impaired vision when it comes to imagining what fabrics will look like in a finished quilt, or anything else for that matter.  Somehow my brain doesn't register the full effect until I see the finished product.  Thank goodness we live in a brick house!

I hope whatever you're sewing or quilting or otherwise working on is going great!

I'm linking this post to
> Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts and
> Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.

22 comments:

  1. I thought you had captured the essence of the original just beautifully, Nancy. But if you don't like it, you have to do what works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. I thought the fabrics captured the original pretty well, too, really, but in person there was just too much pink. I hope I like the second version better than the first!

      Delete
  2. The biggest difference I can see between your version and Pam's is that her border is a deeper double pink than yours. Of course the actual color is probably different than my monitor. At the end of the day you're the only one who has to be happy with the end result and it will be a lovely quilt whatever you decide. Your blocks are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think you're right, Pat, that the original has a darker pink. Looking at the original now, I wonder if I would have liked it in person or not. Maybe I would have realized that so much pink was too much for me. I'm hoping the color I've chosen works well!

      Delete
  3. I really like that bottom brown fabric a lot--it seems to have the same
    vibe as the triangles...such a lovely quilt
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like that fabric a lot, too, Julierose. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. The pink borders look wonderful, really captures the feeling and look of the original. That said, I love the brown. You'll figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lizzy. I'm working on the border now and hope I like the results.

      Delete
  5. i agree with julierose - that brown at the bottom looks great to me. relates back to the tris and makes the pink background pop. but it is your quilt...do what you wish and like. patti in florida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti in Florida. I did choose that brown--and hope I like it when it's finished.

      Delete
  6. I like your pink border better than the original but that's not the point of your post. I'm not sure which brown I like best because it's hard to get the true color on my monitor. It's just a thought but, have you considered a CW floral for a border?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Robin, colors are so hard to tell from a monitor, from a photo, from any digital image, really. 
      I would try a C.W. border but don't have any that I think might work.  (Well, really don't have any at all, I think.)  Thank you for the suggestion.

      Delete
  7. I suffer from the same vision defect, so I know what you’re talking about. Although I think your border looks fine, maybe a different pink? Or consider tea dyeing it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I'm not the only quilter in the world who has this particular vision problem, Sandy. It makes the going a little slow sometimes, don't you think?
      I wish I had more pinks to try but they are hard to come by around here.

      Delete
  8. Love the pink border, but like said, it is your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the pink, but I think the brown looks good, too. Especially the top or left one. The problem for you may be that the original had the same pink in the border and inside, and yours didn't?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan.  I've gone with one of the browns.
      If you enlarge the photo of the original the pink in the border and the pink in the blocks are definitely two different prints but they are exactly the same color.  But if I'd had a darker pink I might have like a pink border....

      Delete
  10. I like the brown . What about a small pink border between the green and brown to set it apart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion, Sewyouquilt2.  Maybe....

      Delete
  11. While I thought the pink looked perfectly pleasant, I like the lighter of the two repro fabrics just as well. Good luck making your final choice!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...