Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Little Blue Folly Finished

Edited to add the photo directly below of the quilt after washing and drying.  It now measures 13 1/4" x 16 3/4".   It's far out of kilter and has bowed sides.
Original Post:

I can hardly believe tomorrow is the first day of June!  Wasn't it January just a few weeks ago?

This is Little Blue Folly, my One Monthly Goal for May.  Specifically, the goal was to finish the top, which I did on the 24th but I forgot to take photos then.  I kept going and layered, basted, and began quilting it.  Below is a photo of it with the quilting finished.  More than half the border is stitched down on the back.  I expect to finish it tonight.
miniature improv quilt in blues, greens, teals with red triangles
It is a different quilt than I thought it would be when I started.  After playing around with sashing of different sizes, and then circles of different sizes, I finally decided that the red triangles were the best choice.  They are small and subtle but I "enhanced" them by quilting around them with red thread.  Really very subtle. 
I used two strands of embroidery floss to quilt lines, mostly vertically but sometimes on the horizontal.

The quilt measures 14 1/8" x 17 1/4".  The batting is one layer of flannel for batting and I'm sure it will shrink after it's washed and dried.  I cut the single-fold binding at 1".  For this particular quilt I think a 1 1/4" strip would have been better, simply because there are a lot of seams on the edges.  That 1" strip was a tight fit.

This is not a quilt I love.  I like it and I enjoyed making it but I probably won't make another like it.

As I was playing with options I realized many ideas would have worked, maybe even better, and that if I wanted to try out the other options I could always make more blocks and play again.  Sometimes I have the mindset that there's only one best way for a particular quilt to be made and that I must find it.  Definitely not so!

After this is washed and dried I'll probably post another photo and its measurements.

This month I'm also participating in The Constant Quilter Wendy's Monthly Mini link-up.  Visit her blog for links to other quilters who have made miniature quilts.

As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, this was my One Monthly Goal for May so I'm linking this post to One Monthly Goal May Finishes at Elm Street Quilts where you can find finishes to goal others have set.

Thank you both, Wendy and Patty, for hosting the link-ups.

--Nancy.

17 comments:

  1. I like this, Nancy. The little pops of red, and more subtle highlights of medium blues and greens give it just enough contrast. Your quilting adds some nice detail, too.
    I agree--there is never one best way to finish a quilt, and the best way to finish your quilts is the way you want to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. With everything that may be good about it, it's still a folly. ;-)
      Sometimes I wish I could finish a quilt several ways and then decide which I like best. If only.

      Delete
  2. I love that red stitching on this little mini...really adds a lot to those richly colored fabrics hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose. I knew it needed more than just the red triangles. I'm glad the stitching helps.

      Delete
  3. very nice indeed....my computer refuses to load the elm street page so i had to drop out of OMG....your little blue is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Grace. I'm so sorry you had to drop out of OMG. That's so sad. Maybe it was a one-time thing and it will work if you try again?

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely finish Nancy, your stitching is beautiful. I agree with you about this year going fast, I can't believe we're in June already, time is going faster and faster!
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tazzie.
      About the speed of time -- I suppose it will be 2023 in a month or so! Crazy.

      Delete
  5. I loved the addition of red and the unique way you quilted around it. It's terrific. I always end up just quilting in the ditch even though I want to embellish something. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin.  Making this little quilt was pretty far out of my comfort zone, especially when it came to putting the blocks together and quilting it.  I'm glad it's done.  The next time I'll probably try for a more traditional quilt with scraps.

      Delete
  6. I love this result. My perspective of this project is so different now that I understand how tiny it it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy. Knowing the size of a quilt, which we can't usually tell in photos on blogs, can change our perceptions. Now that I see it finished I wish I'd gone with the circles. But I guess I could always make another if I really wanted one with circles. I don't think I will, though.

      Delete
  7. I love the red accents, especially the red quilting, on the ocean of blue-green. My quilts are often bowed and distorted. Let’s just say it adds to the charm,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy. I think the quilt needed the red. I like the idea that the curves and distortion add charm. We'll go with that!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...