Friday, December 8, 2023

It's Mostly (But Not All) about Bramble Blooms

If you're here for Bramble Blooms, scroll down a ways.  The first part of this post is about other than BB1.

There was a visit to the main library during the Trolley Hop last Saturday. 
Columbus Metropolitan Library front staircase
The library building is a beautiful structure that was funded by Andrew Carnegie in the early 1900s.  A number of years ago, after the library leaders decided the interior needed updating, they tore out almost everything, including a beautiful marble staircase in the center of the building.  Much of the inner beauty was replaced with metal and glass.  I was grateful to see they left the staircase (above) and the arches and skylights (below).  Can you tell I love historic more than modern?
Columbus Metropolitan Library upstairs arches and hallway
At one of historic homes on the hop route, Sweet Autumn Clematis furled around the fence.
Sweet Autumn Clematis seed pods
Seed pods always fascinate me.
Sweet Autumn Clematis seed pods
These ones delighted me with their little white fronds that look like feathers.  Too fun!
Sweet Autumn Clematis seed pods And then there is this adorable Airedale, Nona, who, I have found,
Airedale Nona in the leaves
has become a thief!  And possibly a spy, as well.  She was sleeping on her bed while I auditioned.  I cut out a bunch of pieces for several parts of Bramble Blooms 1.  As I took each off to try another, I placed it on a chair in front of the board I'm using to hold the background fabric.  There must have been a dozen small pieces.  In front of the board, on top of the pieces, was a small stack of fabric so the small pieces were not visible.  I walked to the kitchen, a short 15 steps away.  When I came back a few minutes later, there was Nona in the doorway licking her lips.  And then I realized that the stack of fabric had been moved and all my sample pieces for auditioning were gone!  How did she know they were there and why, oh why, does she like to eat fabric?!  This is a habit that must be broken, and it would be a lot easier if she weren't so cute and I could catch her in the act!  In so many ways she's so very good....

And, of course, there was, and continues to be, Bramble Blooms.  I'm sorry Audrey's husband is ill yet thankful for the extra time to make decisions and stitch.  I hope he's improving and beginning to feel better.  I used to make quick decisions and usually regretted them.  Now I'm slow and careful with decisions, hence my gratitude for the delay.
Bramble Blooms Quilt-along, auditioning center block
This is my most recent iteration of BB1 and what I'm currently auditioning.  I tried a dozen colors/fabrics at the base of the flowers.  I'm still not sure which of these is better, or if some other color would still be better.  I didn't have a green that worked and I chose against gold thinking that it might be more cohesive to use a narrower range of colors--red to coral/pink--for the flowers since I'm keeping the little circles under the flowers.  It's interesting how different lighting changes what looks good/better/best.   

I chose the crock shape for the container.  The flower stems needed a wider opening than in my original ideas.  This crock is reminiscent of one we own which has an Albany Slip glaze.  It needs an embellishment.  My ideas went to the dog when she ate what I'd doodled on a piece of paper.  I tried several colors for the pot and liked this best, but only if it has an embellishment on it.  I'm still playing with that.  One shape, two shapes?  Blue and gold?  A brighter blue?  Light brown and ???  Or ?????

My last consideration is this.  Is this busy enough already or do the flowers need leaves?  Is that one long stem in the middle lonely?  Are the other stems lonely?  If leaves, what shape?  I think it would need to be one that doesn't overtake everything else.

I'm eager to begin stitching but won't until all the decisions have been made.  The last thing I want to do is unstitch!

As always, I'm grateful to read your thoughts on what you see and any changes you think might improve this center block.  Thanks so much for taking the time.

I'm linking this post to
Finished (or not) Friday at Alycia Quilts
Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Thank you for hosting, ladies.  I appreciate it.

--Nancy.

18 comments:

  1. I love BBI so far, looks great. I am a little concerned about Nona's digestion, having eaten the fabrics. I know you're an experienced dog owner so I 'm sure you are keeping a close eye.

    The library interior is so beautiful, I'm glad it wasn t entirely lost to modernization.

    And, like you , i love pods and pine cones and nature finds. I have never seen clematis pods with the feathered bit. Really interesting. I know a neighbor who has managed to grow a clematis in a sheltered spot. Mo and I will try to walk over soon to see if she has seeds and we can pick a few before the currently looming storm arrives.

    such a good post, thanks!

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy.  I'm concerned about Nona eating fabric, too.  I need to figure out why she does it -- is she bored, is she hungry, is it because she's an Airedale -- and deal with the cause.  When she was pregnant with her second litter (at the breeder's) she was near the end of the pregnancy but she wasn't growing much.  The breeder wondered what the problem was and took her to the vet.  They found that she had just one puppy AND a ring of wire in her stomach.  That should have alerted me to her tendency to eat non-food items.  So far I see the remnants of the cloth when I pick up her poop.  But I do need to be more vigilant.  Thanks for your concern for her.
      I don't think regular clematis has the feathery pods, just Sweet Autumn Clematis, but I'm not sure.  I always recognize SAC because of its viney nature and the wonderful white, fragrant flowers in the fall.

      Delete
  2. Why not put a number on the crock? Many had them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A number is a possibility. I have seen them on old crocks. I think the idea came and went because I'm not sure I have the skill to make such a small number. Thanks for the suggestion, Anonymous. I'll think about it a little more.

      Delete
  3. I like everything you've done so far! I wouldn't change anything except maybe doing the final stitching! Maybe a couple smallish leaves would add interest, maybe put a couple scraps up and see what you think. I'm very thankful that our dog only eats real food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat.  I haven't been able to resist playing around some more, auditioning a few leaves.  Oh, the possibilities.  But I do need to get stitching soon!
      It's wonderful your dog eats only real food.  Fewer reasons for concern!

      Delete
  4. I love the remaining historic elements in the library. Sorry that much of it was removed.
    Those seed pods put out such dainty fronds. Fascinating!
    I love your Bramble Blooms block so far. I'd leave the crock as you have it. Looks great! But I do think I'd audition a leaf here and there to add some visual stimulation along those long stems. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that part of the library, too, Janet.
      Thanks for your comments about my Bramble Blooms center block. I haven't had much time to spend with BB1 this week but I cut out some leaves this evening and am auditioning them. I think I'll probably add them.

      Delete
  5. I am still laughing about your fabric eater. That has to be frustrating and comical at the same time. The crock shape is a good choice. Your flowers are so charming, I like the shape more and more each time I see them. No suggestions, I'll just sit back and admire what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad Nona and I could give you a laugh, Robin.  If Nona weren't such a dear girl (and an Airedale, most of which are clowns on purpose) I might lose my patience with her and feel angry.  Having her eat quilt pieces for a block is frustrating but I can also laugh about it.  I need to figure out why she eats cloth and fabric, though.
      Thank you for your encouraging comments about my block and the flowers.  I appreciate them.

      Delete
  6. I would leave your piece just as is--I think it is lovely--great color choices and shapes...Yikes, a fabric eating Nona!! Hoping she will be okay...
    [I guess she didn't want you to use that one ;)))]
    Those seed pods, pinecones and Nature bits are fascinating. Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments about the block, Julierose.
      Nona is okay so far and hasn't eaten fabric for a few days. I'm being more careful and watchful of her when around fabric. Yes, she probably has opinions about the fabrics I use. Airedales often do, they're such characters.

      Delete
  7. i think it looks great - you could always Quilt leaf designs on after wards?
    Your dog is very cute - but... NO more fabric Nona!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alycia.  Quilting leaf designs is a good idea.  I'll keep that in mind as an alternative to the fabric leaves I'm auditioning. 
      Yes, Nona is very cute.  I'm more careful with my fabric now, though. 

      Delete
  8. Naughty little Nona! I can't believe the fabric tasted good, but there is no accounting for taste. We used to have Rottweiler that ate rocks. I love your flowers and the crock they are in! You could try some leaves and see how you like them. If you don't Nona might! So glad they did not destroy everything from the original architecture of the library. New is not always better in my opinion. Or maybe some feathery fronds with your flowers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nona is a dear girl. I'm not sure why she eats fabric but I need to figure it out. Is she bored, is she hungry, or is it just because she's an Airedale? My first Airedale used to like to pick up rocks and gnaw on them but never ate them. Did your Rottweiler ever need surgery?
      Thank you for your comments about my center BB block, Rebecca. I've cut out some leaves and am trying them out. I think they'll be a go. (So they won't go to Nona--and wouldn't even if I don't use them.) It will be more stitching but I hope I'll be able to finish before the next prompt. I thought about fronds for the leaves but didn't get much further than thinking how hard they might be to make and stitch.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda. I use these colors together so often.... Maybe for BB2 I'll choose a different color group!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...