Thursday, January 11, 2024

Links to Enjoy #18

Maybe you will enjoy these links, too.  I've written too much about each but you can ignore that and click on any of the links that interest you.  Enjoy!

David M. Bird's Becorns are adorable little characters that he makes from acorns, sticks, and, sometimes, a few other natural materials.



You might also enjoy the article, The Whimsical, Nostalgic Appeal of Becorns.  You can watch David's videos here.

These amazing embroideries look more like paintings.  See more of the artist's work at her website.

As this article explains, The Red Dress was created by 380 embroiderers from 51 countries over 14 years.  It is a community embroidery project that connects women around the globe.  The Red Dress's website is here.

I've enjoyed collective nouns for animals for years:  a pride of lions, a flamboyance of flamingos, a school of fish, a colony of ants, an exaltation of larks, etc., so, of course, I would enjoy a post called A Parliament of Owls and a Murder of Crows:  How Groups of Birds Got Their Names, with Wondrous Vintage Illustrations by Brian Wildsmith.
   I keep wondering what collective noun could be given to a group of Airedale terriers, that rambunctious, creative, enthusiastic, playful, focused breed of dog.  I haven't come up with one yet, though a mixed group of terriers is sometimes called a tornado of terriers or a tempest of terriers.  That sounds about right.  And what about quilters?  A comfort of quilters?  A cohort?  A harmony?  A patchwork?  Other suggestions are here.

Why We Quilt was a touching post about two quilts given as gifts.  The creator of the quilts had no idea how they would be received.  We never do, do we?  But these two quilts gave comfort and were clearly loved immediately. 

--Nancy.

10 comments:

  1. I love these links, and appreciate that you collect such a variety of material for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jayne. So glad you enjoyed the links. Most are ones I've enjoyed and I want to be able to return and look at them so including them in a post (and sharing) makes it easy for me to do that.

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy these posts, will rummage thru and read all over he weekend. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like them, Lizzy. Rummage is a good word considering the broadness of the topics sometimes.

      Delete
  3. It was so fun to go to each link. I don't know where you find these things but they are always so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy the links, Robin. They are sometimes very diverse.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing these links! I gave some quilts at Christmas also and was so elated at the reception they received. I finished a little quilt a granddaughter had started and left. When she saw it, she squealed and hugged it like a lost friend. I simply told her all of need help sometimes. She could keep this quilt or give it to a friend. It was hers and she had done most of the work, after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Anonymous! I'm so glad your quilts were warmly received. And what a treat to finish your granddaughter's quilt and have her be so excited to get it.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing these links - and also for continuing to blog! I especially enjoyed the Becorns video. If only all of us had that young man’s sense of wonder, the world would be a much better place!! (Gladi Porsche)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Gladi. I'm glad you enjoy the links. David Bird is so very creative, isn't he? And yes, our world would be a better place if more of us had his sense of wonder. I'm thankful you continue to read my blog!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...