Thursday, June 13, 2024

Links to Enjoy #26

Here are just a few links I thought were interesting, amazing, or just fun.  I hope you enjoy at least one of them.

These paper mushrooms made by Ann Wood (of WoodLucker) are amazing.  But don't confuse that Ann Wood with Ann Wood Homemade who uses fabric to make amazing mushrooms.

Here's a free way to improve grainy photos.  I haven't tried it but when I begin scanning old family history photos again, I'll see if it can improve some of them.  If you try it, I'd love to hear what you think of the results.

Petrichor is a word I read occasionally, forget what it means, then have to look up each time I see it. 
Petrichor is the fragrance many people smell when rain falls on dry earth.  I love the smell of rain!  I wanted to post a video but none of them are accompanied by scents!  I'm posting about petrichor because Lisa Waud created an installation in a historic Detroit warehouse which she named "petrichor."  She covered the ground floor of a warehouse with sod.  I imagine it would have been a delight to visit.  I understand that not everyone can smell petrichor and some people can smell it even before the rain starts.  I'm one of the latter and love the fragrance.  What about you?  Do you smell petrichor?

Will personalized cancer vaccines become a permanent cure for those who receive them?  Trials are in progress. If successful, this is totally exciting to me!

--Nancy.

6 comments:

  1. those fabric mushrooms are so beautiful!! Fascinating blog--thanks for the linky;))) hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Julierose. Maybe one of these days I'll buy her pattern and make a mushroom or two.

      Delete
  2. I have always smelled the rain. Never realized there was a word for it. Learned something new. My Grandfather always used the phrase “it’s commencing to rain”, thought it was a peculiar expression, but now use it. Also can smell the newly mowed grass or wheat field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was a word for the scent of rain, either, until recently. I like your grandfather's phrase and its old-fashioned simplicity. I don't know which I like the most: the smell of rain or of newly cut grass (and hay, in particular). Both are refreshing to me.

      Delete
  3. Both mushroom artists do fabulous magical work. I've made airdry clay mushrooms that please me, but this is a whole different art form. There's a wonderful artist on IG who makes fabric mushrooms. She offered a kit and I forget, a Zoom class how to or a video. I couldn't afford the class but i looked so lovely and so fun.

    I too always have to look up petrichor---I always think it is a tinkly, riplling musical aspect [like glissando?]. But no.

    Cancer vaxx would either be a miracle or just another ways for pharmaceutical companies to amass billions. I can see my GP pushing every vaxx available, even tho my family has no cancer history.

    I chickened out of the photo app, too many questions and "I accepts"...

    PS we are waiting for green wool grab bag for your strawberry stem, but I didn't forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder who the artist on Instagram is who offered a class to make the strawberries. It was Ann Wood Homemade, was it? I know she offers classes....
      Yes, petrichor does sound like it should be associated with music, Lizzy. Isn't "chor" the word for choir in some other language?
      I think the cancer vaccine is created specifically for an individual for whatever cancer might appear based on ... what? Maybe family history? I should go read the article again. I think it would be a wonderful miracle unless it became another way for companies to make money.
      I didn't get that far with the photo app. Maybe I won't try it.....

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...