Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Since It's National Chocolate Cake Day . . .


. . . I thought I'd share a recipe that's been a favorite in our family for more than two decades.  It's a never-fail recipe for a moist cake.  We always bake as cupcakes but the recipe works in an 8" square pan, too.

Double Chocolate Snack Cake

In a mixing bowl combine:
  1 2/3 c. flour
  1 c. light brown sugar, packed
  1/4 c. cocoa
  1 tsp. baking soda
  1/4 tsp. salt

Add and beat till smooth:
  1 c. water
  1/3 c. oil
  1 tsp. vinegar
  3/4 tsp. vanilla

Pour into an 8" square greased and floured pan or spoon into twelve paper-lined cupcake molds.

On top sprinkle:
  1/2 c. chocolate chips

Bake cake for 30 minutes, cupcakes for 20 minutes.  Test with toothpick for doneness being sure to miss the chocolate chips.

Cool on wire rack (or eat warm if you don't want to wait that long).

Yum!  No, double yum!

I hope you enjoy a slice of chocolate cake on National Chocolate Cake Day.

--Nancy.
.

7 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Jana. I hope you try it and if you do, come back and tell me what you thought. (I think some people don't like cakes with oil in them.)

      Delete
  2. It's National Chocolate Cake Day? Really, how could I have missed this? I'd best head down to the kitchen pronto, this looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a very little-known national holiday so it's no surprise that few people know about it. If you made the cake, I hope you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  3. OMG!!! How could I have missed National Chocolate Day?????!!!! These look great - I think it's only fair that I do my part and try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. National chocolate cake day looks a lot more exciting than the national breakfast week we are having!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that seems like a holiday I should know about!! In fact, it ought to be celebrated monthly. Sadly, I missed it this year, but I'm not waiting for next year to make this cake...I'll celebrate tomorrow. :) Thank you - I love favorite family recipes from friends!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...