Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Imagining You (and Periwinkle Wreath)

This is what I imagine about you, dear readers who are quilters:
   When you decide to make a quilt you choose the colors you want to use, look at your fabric supply, glance over the fabrics, pull the exact ones you want to use, then take them to your cutting table and begin the quilt.  Quick, fast, easy because you're confident in your choices.  This is what I imagine.  Is that how you work when you begin a quilt?  I sometimes wish I had  an intuitive sense of color.  (Of course, if I did, I would miss all the play involved in choosing colors and fabrics for a quilt.  Still, I sometimes envy you because it takes me such a long time to audition fabrics and make a decision.)

Earlier this week I began auditioning fabrics for the first block of Hospital Sketches, Periwinkle Wreath.  I thought red flowers would be great and chose a plain because I have few Civil War reds.  Next I had to decide the star centers.  I wish I could make a decision about fabrics without having to cut the applique pieces first.  But that's what works for me so I do it.  In this case, it will give me several flowers to use for some other quilt.

There are two reds in the above, right flowers:  the top two are the same red, the bottom one is a brighter red.  The darker red won out and I think the fabric in the bottom star will be my choice.

I printed four pattern pieces so I could lay out the circle and imagine the flower and the trumpet colors.  This style of quilt from the mid-1800s was traditionally made in reds and greens so that's where I began.  But the trumpet-shaped pieces between the flowers remind me of trumpet vines, which are orange/coral, so I began to play with those colors.


Hey, maybe a robin's egg blue might look great so I laid pieces of that fabric on the circle.  But I wondered if I had enough variety of fabrics to sustain that color combination.


At some point in this process I remembered that red and green is one of my favorite color combinations and asked myself why I was trying out other colors when I could use a favorite.  I put the blue away.  I don't think it would have worked anyway.

Today I cut and sewed the background fabrics, laid out the vine circle using a compass, and prepared the flowers (except the center circles).  I've been dithering on this for three days so it feels good to finally make decisions.


But I still have to decide fabric for those trumpets.  Possibilities are below, but I'll wait till tomorrow to decide.  My experience has been that when I choose fabric at night I have to choose other fabric in daylight.


These are my greens for leaves, with few Civil War reproductions.  I'll use fabrics on hand for very scrappy leaves.



Now, please don't judge me by the photo below.  Surely I'm not the only one who has let an ironing board cover go just a tad too long before getting a new one?  This is what my ironing board looked like by the time I finished Little Rubies last week.  Ugh!  Awful.  But I couldn't find one I liked at the store and didn't want to take time to make a new one in the midst of sewing that quilt.


As soon as Rubies was finished off came the old cover.  I used it as a pattern and made a new cover from thick upholstery fabric I had on hand.


I like it a lot and think it's a definite improvement but I'm not sure the wisdom of using a light fabric on an ironing board.  I suspect it won't look great for too long.  I remember that my mother used to use an old sheet and pin it in place on the underside of the ironing board.  It worked but I think having a drawstring keeps it in place better.  It's strange to imagine that I probably use my ironing board more that my mother used hers, and she ironed everyone's clothing and pillow cases every week.  I'll immediately begin looking for fabric for the next cover.

This week I've been complaining about Daylight Saving Time.  I keep hearing people say, "I love having an extra hour of daylight."  To myself I say, there's no extra hour of daylight, it's just been moved from the morning to the evening.  I always have trouble adjusting to the change, in either direction, but I particularly don't like making the change in March!  Couldn't we at least wait till May when we're really settled into spring?  But that's just me. 

Did you notice that Martingale is having its 2019 warehouse sale this week, until next Monday, the 18th?  Many books are just $6.00!

I'm linking this post to
> Midweek Makers #166 at Quilt Fabrication
> Wednesday Wait Loss at Inquiring Quilter
> Let's Bee Social # 263 at Sew Fresh Quilts
> WIPS on Wednesday at Esther's Quilt Blog

Thanks for hosting, ladies.

I hope you're having a great week.

--Nancy.
.

24 comments:

  1. Except for not doing a lot of applique I do the same thing as you with fabric selection for a new piece. In fact the top of my cutting table is littered with the bag of fabrics I just pulled out (from under the table) to audition for the next camp donation quilt I'm planning. I like your choice of colors, actually all of them, for the periwinkles. I'd heard about that sale and two books are already on their way - yay! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Pat. It's so good to hear that others follow a similar process when beginning a quilt. I'm not alone! Thanks for your comments about the periwinkle wreath. I'm still puttering around with fabrics and colors for the trumpets and I haven't sewn a stitch on it (other than attaching the centers to the dark red flowers). I like both of the colors I auditioned, just not the fabrics. I want prints instead of plain. Soon I will just choose and sew!

      Delete
  2. I'm generally faster at making the fabric selection, but that doesn't mean the whole stash of whatever color I desire doesn't end up all over my cutting table...and ironing board and sewing table and sometimes the floor around those surfaces! But that process is far easier than at a store...my stash is finite, but the selection at the store...and the next store and the next store...is endless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speed is really good, Katie! I think I would like to be able to make quicker decisions. But, like you, going into a fabric store, especially one with a good selection -- it takes me forever!

      Delete
  3. No I'm a dittherer(is that a word?) when it comes to choosing fabrics. I thought purchasing a fat quarter bundle would put a stop to some of it, but I still get distracted by other choices to use somehow. I never thought of it till you mentioned how much we use our ironing boards. Pretty constant. And I can only choose colours in daylight now, must be my eyes. Of course I will love to see your block come together to your satisfaction, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think ditherer is a word, Jocelyn, but I don't like to use it to describe myself (though it is accurate, of course).

      I think fabric colors look so different during daylight hours and during the night. I could be our eyes but I really think it's the light.

      Delete
  4. I am blessed with a good color sense and good recall of my fabrics, so while I do dither and audition, much of that musing [which I enjoy! ] can be done in my head. I love choosing fabrics for a project and perhaps spend more time than need be because for me it is the BEST part of the project. Also--it is better to take ones's time and love the choices--- you'll be looking at a project for a year maybe and forever once it's done. Take your time! Enjoy!

    lizzy lizzzz.d@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be amazing to be able to remember all the fabrics I have and their colors, too. I muse in my head but I still have to pull out the fabrics to see them together before I can decide. Thanks for the encouragement to take my time in choosing fabrics for this block, Lizzy. I'm STILL choosing and it's been several weeks already. One of the challenges for me is trying to stay with reproduction fabrics from the mid- to late-1860s (instead of using the solids I have laying in the the photos). I have to decide soon. I'm already two blocks behind!

      Delete
  5. Great post. Your periwinkle wreath is going to be lovely. You do give a lot of thought into your fabric decision making. But, you end up making some very nice pieces. The daylight savings time has got me in it's clutches. I don't sleep well and then I wake up at the wrong time - sometimes 4:30 am and sometimes 8:00 am (which is late for me). I hope I can get a handle on it soon. I checked out the Martingale sale. It has the pattern of Jan Patek's Christmas quilt that I just finished for $6.00. I wish that's all I'd paid. . . it was a lot more. Have fun with your applique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I'm still trying to decide fabric for the periwinkle wreath. I want fabric I don't have.... I should have played a little more with the fabric for the periwinkles and then maybe the other fabrics would have worked better. I'll start stitching soon.

      I hope you've adjusted to Daylight Saving Time. I haven't yet. I'm a night owl but like early morning light because it helps me wake up earlier. With DST, it stays dark an hour longer in the mornings. One of these days it will all seem natural.

      It's sad to spend money on a book or pattern then find it on sale for a great price later.

      Delete
  6. A wonderful start on you Perriwinkle Wreath block! I have to cut out the pieces to audition them too. I bet I have enough extra flowers,leaves, circles and etc. for a whole quilt. I know what I like when I see it, it just takes a lot fabrics to find it. Great new cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We are alike in this way, Rebecca. I tell myself that I can always use the applique pieces I didn't use for their original purpose in some other block, on some other quilt. This particular quilt may cause my pile to grow faster than any other quilt! I guess I could make the sprouts version of Hospital Sketches....

      Delete
  7. Many of my little quilts are a product of choosing some fabrics I want to play with and then deciding what to do with them, so I reverse the process. And it doesn't always go smoothly. If I am really set on the fabrics, I may change layouts 4 or 5 times to find one that looks right in the fabrics I've chosen.
    You can't go wrong with a classic combo like red and green--and you can throw in the pink and even a little cheddar and it will be a beauty!
    I am one of those annoying people that isn't bothered by the time changes. My sleep pattern is always so erratic that an hour more or less either way doesn't really seem to change anything.
    Thanks for the heads up on the book sale. I need to go take a peek and then try to talk myself out of what I want. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. That's a great way to work! I think I occasionally do that but it's much harder (for me, at least) if I'm using someone else's pattern.

      I think it's great that you're not bothered by the time change. Most people love it or hate it so it's good to know there are folks who aren't affected either way. I'm a night owl who could sleep till noon (and then feel guilty about it) and find that the early morning light helps me wake and get up earlier. DST takes away an hour of morning sun. But it won't be long till I've adjusted.

      Delete
  8. I don’t usually have trouble with colors, but I dither about how I’m going to quilt things. I have a lot of the same fabrics you do! I like what you have done so far. I don’t have trouble with the time change either way. I have trouble staying asleep. In fact I woke up yesterday at 4 am and couldn’t go back to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you choose such beautiful colors for your quilts, Karrin! Unlike you, I spend a lot less time choosing a quilting pattern, but then I never do anything "fancy," usually just Baptist Fan or somehow following the the lines of the quilt blocks.

      How sad to have trouble staying asleep. If I woke up at 4:00 and couldn't get back to sleep I'd have to take a nap at 10:00 in the morning!

      Delete
  9. You're so funny! I think I go through the same process choosing my fabrics. It feels so good once I make a decision! The process seems to jump to light speed at that point. Maybe it will for you too. Thanks for linking up to Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. Considering that I'm still considering fabrics, that the third block comes out tomorrow, and the only stitches on this first block are the centers of the flowers, I too hope that I can stitch quickly when I've finally committed to fabrics! Light speed would be fabulous!

      Thanks you for hosting Wednesday Wait Loss!

      Delete
  10. I do the same thing - it's hard to decide, and then it seems like when you do decide you find out that you don't have quite enough and then you have to go through the whole process again. I just replaced my ironing board cover, and it was getting holes in it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, and yes, Pamela. That's happened to me more than once!

      Delete
  11. Can you hear me laughing out loud?? I actually think I DO have a good sense of color, yet I still agonize over every piece I pull from the shelf. I think you are right that it is just part of the fun of making the quilt. If only we had extra hours in the day to allow for all that play! I think the colors you have chosen are gorgeous. And, I love the new ironing board cover. I'm not a fan of Daylight Savings either. There is an old saying that "only a fool would cut the bottom off a blanket and add it to the top and think you have a longer blanket". So true!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to learn that you agonize over every fabric, Wendy. I wouldn't have guessed it. But, of course, your results are always gorgeous! I think you're right -- choosing fabrics would be even more fun if there were more hours in the day. We could play longer and the "deadline" or next-block-available would come later, too.

      I remember when Richard Nixon decided to keep Daylight Saving Time all year. The kids went to school in the dark and came home in the dark. There was a cartoon alluding to this old saying you mention.

      Delete
  12. Ha! I dither almost endlessly over everything - colors, layouts, quilting. Once in a while, I'll pick up a fabric and yell "Eureka! That's IT!", but usually I'm knee-deep in ummms and buts.
    Your choices for your periwinkles look spot-on to me - enjoy your stitching!
    I'm not a morning person, so I don't miss that morning hour of daylight - but I sure like having it stay light longer in the evening. It's just the transition that bothers me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a surprise to learn about you dithering, Gayle. I would not have guessed it. Dithering takes time and you accomplish so much, it seems like you wouldn't have time to dither!
      I hope you've adjusted to DST by now. I'm still working on it but I'm slow at almost everything!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...