Friday, May 5, 2023

A Major Miscalculation

I made four sample BowTie blocks, just to see if I wanted to make more, and decided I do.  (These four are not yet sewn together.)
BowTie quilt block
Four bowties will become a 12" block.  I decided 5 blocks x 7 blocks would be a good size and calculated that I would need to cut and sew 35 blocks:  2 background squares at 3½" and 2 colored squares at 3½" and two colored squares at 2".  Right.  So I cut and cut and cut and had enough for 20 bow ties and thought, I only have 15 more to make.  Amazing!   And then suddenly it dawned on me that I need 35 blocks with four bowties each.  I need 140 bowties!  What a major miscalculation!  I have my work cut out for me, cutting another 120 blocks.  Oh my, I could be cutting for a week.
Above, you can see cut light squares across the top and below, left to right, light and dark squares; matched squares with their corners sewn and pressed; and on the right are pairs of squares pinned for sewing.

These blocks came about because I have an abundance of fabrics, many from shirts, in the red-to-brown range, and plenty of scraps, both dark and light, which I thought would make a warm-looking quilt for winter.  We'll see how it goes.  If I get the top finished I expect to use it for a Hands2Help donation.
On April 29, I finished the quilt below for Hand2Help.  In retrospect, red fabric might have been better for a border, at least from a distance.  When I asked what readers thought in a previous post, Quilting Babcia at Amity Quilter suggested a narrow blue/green border, then a wider red border.  It would have worked well but I struggle with borders and so added only one.
Single Irish Chain quilt
Up close I think the blue/green dotted fabric works. 

Camera Joy!
Any of you who have been reading this blog for a month or so may remember that my little Canon PowerShot A560 was not working properly.  It took photos but they were not as clear as they had been, and the macro photos were practically indecipherable.  I took it to a camera repair shop and found no help.  I contacted several other camera/photo shops in the area who said they would look at it but probably couldn't help.  And I finally contacted Canon, whose representative said that they'd discontinued service for my camera so there was no help.  Several people offered suggestions but the most helpful came from Lizzy of Gone to the Beach, who suggested I try a reset.  Hmmm.  I didn't realize I could reset the camera.  I looked online and found easy directions, followed them, and now my camera is back to practically normal.  I don't think it's as good as before it had problems but it's definitely better than it was.  Thank you, Lizzy!

I'm linking this post to
Finished (or not) Friday at Alycia Quilts
Peacock Party Wendy's Quilts and More
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework
Thank you for hosting, ladies.

I'm also linking to Sarah's Hands2Help post at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.  Thanks for coordinating and hosting, Sarah.

I hope you all have a great weekend!
--Nancy.

14 comments:

  1. As someone who struggles with math, I can relate to the miscalculation! Sometimes I've gone the other way and cut too many pieces, but that's easier to fix. Your fabrics for the bowtie quilt are lovely, it will be a beautiful top. And congrats on the single Irish chain, the border is a nice contrast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sylvia.  I'm currently wondering if the top will be boring with just two colors, and thinking maybe I should add a little more variation.  I'll have to think about that more.
      I was disappointed to realize the top would take more time but I think I would have been more disappointed had I cut too much fabric for blocks. 

      Delete
  2. I too struggle with the math...often cutting too much! Wonderful finish for H2H! This quilt will be loved in it's forever home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That you, Pat. I'm so grateful I didn't cut too much fabric. I've done that in the past, too.
      I hope someone will enjoy this quilt!

      Delete
  3. Great about the camera! And I love bow tie quilts, esp made with real shirting fabrics. Delightful.

    The blue green polka dot bi=order is darling! Rem these are chairy quilts, not show quilts. Lovely to snuggle under and feel loved.

    Rem to clean your camera lens again now that you ve been handling it a lot w repairs!

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your enthusiasm, Lizzy.  I'm second guessing the bowties already -- maybe another color or two....
      Yes, I'm thrilled to have my camera working better again.  I'm not so sure about the non-close-up photos, but I think they're better than before the reset.  Thanks for the reminder to clean the lens.  The reset was actually very simple, a few buttons on the back side of the camera and nothing to do with the lens.

      Delete
  4. Bowtie blocks are so fun to make. This will be a great quilt. Sorry about the miscalculations. I've done that before and it's a disappointment to think one is done cutting and there is still so much more left to do. I'm so glad you got your camera working. Diligence always pays off. I think the blue polka dot border looks great. It's such a sweet feminine quilt. Somebody is going to love it and have good thoughts about the maker. We're down to 57 degrees today and it's 1 pm so things should be warmer. It's hard to decide what to wear or how many covers to put on the bed because we keep going back and forth. Hope you are warmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I was disappointed to know I had to cut more blocks but oh so grateful I didn't cut more than needed. I probably would have felt like I needed to make another quilt with them.
      Our temperatures are varying these days. Today it went up to the high 70s, but other days this week were in the 50s and 60s, some days with clouds, other days with rain. It's been an unusual spring. I hope the spring weather you love arrives soon and stays.

      Delete
  5. So happy the camera is almost normal again. Bowties do go fast, and if you get tired of cutting, you can stop and sew for a while. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy the camera is better, too, Susan!
      I can't decide whether the bowties are fast or not. Just six pieces of fabric but there are extra steps--sewing the corner triangles, cutting the extra off, pressing them, then squaring them..... I do try to keep both steps--cutting and sewing--going at the same time.

      Delete
  6. Ouch for the math miscalculation, but those bowtie blocks are going to be beautiful! Also great news about your camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. I guess the good thing is that I didn't cut too many and waste fabric--or have to make too many blocks. It will be fun to play with the blocks when I have a few more made. I'm already thinking I may need to add another color or two....
      I'm thrilled to have my camera working better again!

      Delete
  7. I think you should continue with the bow ties too!! hah! So pretty!
    and your H2H quilt is wonderful!

    yay for learning about a camera reset !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement and kind comments about the H2H quilt top, Alycia.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...