Friday, April 5, 2019

Making Triangle Squares Sashing for Flowers

I've been thinking long and hard about my One Monthly Goal for April.  I know I want to work on the sashing for my version of Linda Brannock's Flowers quilt.  I'm just not sure how much I can reasonably accomplish this month and I don't want to set a goal I can't meet. 


Will I be able to cut, pin, stitch, and press a gazillion (or what seems like a gazillion) triangle squares; decide on their placement; adapt them and other scraps to fit the blocks; fit, pin, and stitch them into sashing; then sew them to the blocks and sew all the blocks together?  In a month?  With everything else I have going on? 

If I were following Linda Brannock's version of the quilt it would be simple:  cut and sew enough triangles to make 43 3" and 88 2" triangle squares.  But her finished quilt is just 54" x 76".  I want one that's large enough to use for a nap on the couch or cover a twin bed, at least 60" x 84".  One would think it would be a simple thing to either increase the size of the triangle squares or double them up.  Perhaps I'm overthinking this sashing but for some reason my brain is not seeing this adaption to the sashing as simple and I'm feeling just a little uncertain.

Below is the photo I took yesterday evening.  I cut and stitched more triangles today, including some smaller ones, and have still more waiting to be paired, pinned, and stitched.


Of course I'll have to cut lots more triangles.  I plan to use these fabrics and possibly more.  Maybe I need some green triangles.


This afternoon I placed all the triangle squares I've stitched so far between the quilt blocks just to see what I thought.  I love the way this is going!  I love the red and coral triangles against the putty but I'm not sure I can make a success of it -- using two sizes of triangles, getting the colors arranged in a pleasing way.  I think the additional triangle squares in this photo make the sashing look darker than in the layout at the top of this post.  But I have so many more triangles to cut, sew, and arrange and they'll change the overall feeling of the quilt, I'm sure.


When I think something will be hard or beyond my abilities, I tend to put it off.  I know I'll keep working on the other things I have in progress, and choosing this as a goal will push me to get it done.

Typing this post has helped me come to a decision.  My One Monthly Goal for April is to cut and sew enough triangle square blocks to make sashing for this quilt and sew the blocks and sashing into a top.  (Whew!  That was a hard decision.)

I'm linking this post to
> One Monthly Goal April Goal Setting Link-up at Elm Street Quilts
> Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts
Thank you for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.
.

24 comments:

  1. What a pretty choice you have made with your fabrics...it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. I hope the final quilt will be perfect, too!

      Delete
  2. i like the 2 different sizes...gives it a lot more interest...and soo pretty too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Grace. I didn't realize how important those two sizes would be until I saw what several other quilts had done. They add a lot of interest.

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of two sizes of triangles, though I'll admit just the thought of doing it makes my head spin! The ones you have so far add a lot of interest to the quilt, so very worthwhile to keep it moving. Know what you mean about procrastinating when setting the goal seems impossible to achieve. Just need to remind myself (constantly) that a project set aside doesn't move forward. Have one of those in a floor hoop right next to the chair where I'm typing this. A constant reminder, maybe next month ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Pat. Yes, my head is spinning a little, too. It would be easier if I knew exactly how many triangles I need to cut and sew but since I'm "playing it by ear," I'll just keep cutting, sewing, and laying out until I have enough. I guess.... The only photo I had for this pattern was the tiny one on this post. I knew there were two sizes of triangles but it wasn't until I saw photos of what others in the group had done that I realized how important the triangles in two sizes in the sashing were to give the quilt what it needed. I hope my colors work out okay.

      I'm so glad there are others who procrastinate for the reasons I do. I guess the good thing is they're always there, waiting for us when we're ready!

      Delete
  4. The colours are beautiful and you have a great start with that layout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kathy. It will be work to cut and sew the triangle squares but it will be fun to play with the layout when they're done!

      Delete
  5. Such great blocks. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patty. And thank you for hosting One Monthly Goal.

      Delete
  6. Oh, that sashing is going to be glorious and absolutely worth all the fretting and figuring! I love setting goals, but don't let it become stressful. Your life is full and even if you don't have a completed top at the end of the month, you'll have made progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karin. I hope it will finish in better shape than it started -- with color arrangement, etc. I just wish I knew how many triangles I need to cut. I'm just cutting and sewing, laying out, and cutting as I go. It's both work and fun.

      Delete
  7. I think the two sizes of HST's add a lot of interest. If you get really stuck, you just add a piece of spacer fabric and it would totally be in the spirit of Jan Patek--have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Karen. The unclear photo of the quilt that I have doesn't really give an indication but then I saw tops that some of the others in the group had made and wow! Those triangle squares in two sizes are a great finish for the quilt. I noted that Linda Brannock added little strips to fill in when the sashing was short. One way or the other, it will become a top. Maybe not square or flat, but a top. Ha ha.

      Delete
  8. I really like what you have going on here, Nancy. This is so pretty--it may be a bit of a challenge to work out your enlarged sashing, but the finish looks like it will be so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement, Janet. I like where it's headed, too. I hope I can get a finish that's as good as the start. I think the flower blocks really need this sashing. I'll just cut, pin, stitch, press, lay out, repeat until I have enough squares. Wish I knew how many triangles to cut!

      Delete
  9. Great goal, and I love the idea of the 2 sized blocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karrin. I wish I could take credit for the two sizes of blocks in the sashing but I can't. It was Linda Brannock's idea.

      Delete
  10. Wow! I love your idea of doing the two sizes of triangles. I think the math would make my head hurt. What you have done so far looks absolutely wonderful! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca. I haven't moved to the math yet. I'm still making triangle squares but I know that when I get nearly enough made and move on to the math, my head will definitely hurt! The idea of two sizes of triangle squares came with the pattern. I hope I can make all the elements work together!

      Delete
  11. Oh this is delightful. It's going to be such a cheerful quilt with all the added triangles. I'm glad you've set this for a goal, it will impel you to make substantial progress this month. Can't wait to see the finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. The more triangle squares I put down the more uncertain I am about how successful the sashing will be. I'm still cutting and sewing triangles (and wondering if I'll get enough made to get the top sewn together this month!).

      Delete
  12. This is wonderful! And I firmly believe that the more triangles, the better! (Seriously, there is no down side to having triangles on hand. Cut and sew lots and lots and lots. You'll be much more relaxed! You can always frame the label on the back with the leftovers!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment makes me laugh out loud, Gayle. What a fun idea to frame a label. I have a lot of triangles on hand now but I have had to pick up the quilt for a few days while my grands are here.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...