Thursday, February 28, 2013
My String-X Is Finished! Oh, Joy!!!!
It's my version of Bonnie Hunter's String-X. I adapted her measurements of the block size and did not use a paper foundation. I used the string strips as a leaders/enders while working on other quilts. I'm not sure I like the way I pieced the back. I liked the idea of repeating the strings (all the fabrics on the back were used on the front) but I think the proportions are off. Still, it's just a picnic quilt....
This quilt measures 67" x 92". The fabric in the front, back, and binding are 100% cotton scraps from other sewing and quilting projects. The batting is polyester. I had it so I used it. The quilt crinkled more than I thought it would with a poly bat. (I wish I'd noted measurements before I washed the quilt!)
If, in 50, years an expert quilter looks at this quilt, I hope she will not judge it too harshly. I hope she might recognize that it was a beginner quilt and notice that some areas of quilting are better than others. I hope she won't fold it and realize that it's not exactly square. (I don't mind so much that the lines of stitching are not straight but I wish the stitching itself were better.) I hope she will be generous in her comments, knowing that every quilter improves the more she quilts.
I'm linking to
>February A Lovely Year of Finishes at Fiber of All Sorts. Thanks for hosting, Shanna.
>A Week of Finishes at from blank pages. Thank you, Diane.
>Fresh Sewing Day at Lily's Quilts. Thanks, Lynne.
>Finish It Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts. Thank you, Amanda Jean.
>2013 First Quarter Finish-A-Long at She Can Quilt. My original post was here.