Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Strings and Churn Dashes

Yesterday I finished sewing all the blocks for this string quilt. 
scrappy string quilt

I was uncertain about whether to stitch the corner squares on every corner or on alternating corners.  I decided that every corner needs them.

scrappy string quilt

I think light/medium tans will look better than very light fabric on those little corners.  I'll choose the fabric tonight or tomorrow and begin cutting and sewing.  I think the corners help unify the variety of colors, plaids, prints, and plains in the quilt.  I'll probably use the same fabric for all the squares to add more unity.

The finished blocks will measure 6".  There are 99 of them which equals 9 blocks x 11 blocks and 54" x 66".  It seems a little squatty and I may add more blocks.  I'm planning to add a border or two which will increase the finished size.

I'm almost finished hand quilting the plaid churn dashes.  Two or three more fans on the row with the hoop and another row of fans and I'll be done.  You can see only about a third or a quarter of it in this photo.  I love this quilt!
quilt from plaid shirts

It's interesting how some fabrics quilt more easily than others.  I was very new to quilting when I made the blocks for this quilt.  There's a great variety of fabrics, even though they're all plaids, which are not woven the same.  It was fun to sew them and it's been fun to learn about how different fabrics quilt.  When I buy plaid shirts for quilting now I lean toward some kinds of fabric and leave the others behind.  (But first I look for color when I buy shirts -- or any fabric, for that matter.)

That's the current state of quilting affairs in my world.

I'm linking to WOW on Esther's Blog; WiP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced; and Scraptastic Tuesday at She Can Quilt and Mrs. Sew and Sow.  Thanks, ladies!

Thanks for stopping by for a visit.

--Nancy.
.

18 comments:

  1. Like both your quilts! Your corners will be nice on that string quilt. Your plaid churn dash quilt is fabulous and I would love to make one like it. I'm curious, which fabrics were easier to quilt through?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cassandra.

      There are some plaid shirt fabrics that have a tight weave and feel very smooth and crisp. They are often gorgeous colors which for me means very desirable, but I don't buy them anymore. They are dense and difficult to quilt through. Some shirt fabrics that have a slightly looser weave, some are nubby, and some have an even looser weave. They are easiest to quilt. Of course, the looser the weave, the easier it is to quilt but may not be as durable. You have to balance durability/quality with ease of quilting.

      When I shop for fabrics made into shirts at a second-hand store, I take a needle with me and test to see whether it goes through easily or not. I can often tell by the feel but if I have any doubts, I pull out the needle.

      One of these days (or weeks or months) I plan to do a post with photos about the various kinds of plaids used in shirts. It's not that I'm an expert but it will be a good reference for me and may help others, too.

      Delete
  2. two beauties...love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, what great quilts! Churn dash is one of my very favorite blocks and your strips are great! Dare I ask....have you used up your scraps? It seems like even when I set out to use scraps, I make more! And I find it hard to throw some away, although our guild project that uses them for stuffing for pet beds helps. I think maybe I'm a closet fabric scrap hoarder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words about the quilts, Nina.

      Yes, you can ask. I haven't used up all the strips. But, unfortunately, I didn't keep track very well of what I was doing and ended up with lots of the same so I had to scout around for some pieces of fabric I was willing to cut into strings. And then, of course, there were shorter strips left over from the long ones, so I still have those. I honestly don't think I'll ever use up all the scraps -- or even the large pieces of fabric -- I have. Sometimes I wonder if they go in the closet at night while I'm asleep and reproduce quicker than mice or rabbits.

      I have trouble throwing away scraps, too. I have some that are under 2" and I think I'm going to have to pitch them.

      I finally realized that the reason it takes me so long to finish a quilt is because I use such small pieces of fabric. The smaller the fabric, the more sewing to make a sizable quilt. I think I'm going to try some larger blocks with larger pieces soon. (Or maybe it takes so long because I'm getting slower as I get older....)

      Delete
  4. This churn dash is so warm and cozy...love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too, Deb. Thanks. I'm looking forward to finishing the quilting, getting it bound, then washed, so I can see how it turns out.

      Delete
  5. I agree with you, all the blocks need those gold corners, that is a great quilt! Your churn dashes so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm having trouble posting comments to your blog, the last three haven't posted. But I wanted to let you know how beautiful the string quilt is from your most recent post. The churn dash as well - it's always so nice to have hand-quilting to do on these cool autumn evenings!

    Karen
    AncestorSoup.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great. I collected plaid shirts from the thrift store but never made a quilt so I donated them all back. I like your string corner tabs, it makes a cool effect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I buy the 100 per cent cotton men's shirts in the largest size, cut them up and never use them. I've been looking for the perfect vintage type pattern. I'm in love with your churn dashes! So now maybe I've found my pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the light tans, yes I do! And impressive how many blocks you've been able to put together. I also love your churn dashes and the story about the plaid fabrics--much more fun that simply a bolt of yardage from somewhere. Lovely!
    Elizabeth
    opquilt.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth. I thought the string quilt would be quick and easy but it's taken more time than I expected. Now I'm cutting, marking, and sewing the corners. (In another post I admitted to my inability to sew a straight line so yes, I'm marking them from corner to corner. I do it in the car when my husband's driving.) I think I need over 300. I never know how a quilt will turn out when I begin. I try to imagine but my visual imagination is wanting and what I make usually doesn't look at all like what I thought it might.

      One of these days I hope to do a post about the varieties of plaid fabrics one can find in shirts. Some are quilt-worthy and some are not.

      Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I wonder if you are visiting the blogs of all who responded to your next-to-last post. If so, you've been very busy. It generated a lot of good discussion.

      Delete
  10. Two fabulous scrappy projects! I have a big soft spot for plaids! Thanks for joining up with Scraptastic Tuesday

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...