Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Closer to a Decision (I think)

I added the narrow tan border around these stars with brown sashing, sure I would want it there before adding anything else to the edges of this quilt.  It seems to set off and separate the center from whatever's going to happen around the edge.

I laid out colors from the stars in border fashion and looked at those for a few days as I passed into and out of the room.   (Do any of you think "circus" when you look at these fabrics around the edges?)

For me, it's not really good enough to lay out fabrics like this -- fat quarters folded to look like I think I may want them -- when in the end I would probably use shorter pieces of fabric.  But I can't make myself cut up yardage or even a fat quarter when I know I may not use it or may want a different size in the end.  I have enough scraps already. 

Next I added a scrappy light border alongside the strips of colors. 
I think in my mind I'd always intended to use the light scraps to create a border, repeating the effect of the scrappy blocks behind the stars.  But somehow it doesn't satisfy.

This morning I took away the light scraps and tried a brown border beside the colors (imagining shorter strips of color).

Hmm.  Is this is the kind of quilt I think could go either way -- light border or brown border?  After living with the other options for a few days each, maybe brown is best.

I'm not ready to cut and stitch yet.  I need to let it rest and look at it for a day or two before I decide.  (And if I'm choosing this for my One Monthly Goal, I really do need to decide in the next few days.)  But I think I'm closer to a decision.

I'm linking this post to Linky Tuesday Party, Design WallWOW at Esther's Blog, Let's Bee Social #123, and Oh Scrap!.  Thanks for hosting, ladies.

And that you, readers, for visiting.

--Nancy.
.

8 comments:

  1. I really like both border options. If you used the lighter border you could still have the brown for the binding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jasmine. Thanks for sharing your ideas about the border. I appreciate it. I considered a light border and brown binding and haven't completely ruled it out yet. I'm still considering

      Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  2. I think the brown frames it well and gives the eye a resting place amidst the party of fun color! It is a really pretty quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Janet. I remember when I first posted this quilt with the brown sashing/border around the outside edge that you suggested just quilting and binding it then. I need to add another border or two for size, or at least for width.

      I always appreciate your thoughts on my quilts. Thanks.

      I hope you have a great weekend.

      Delete
  3. I'm falling on the side of the brown too. It does darken the quilt more than the light scrappy border, but it really highlights the star blocks and makes them the "star" of the quilt. The lighter border fights for attention I think. It's going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Teresa. Thanks for your thoughts on the border. I continue to tend toward brown and like how it seems to give the stars their own space to shine.

      I've been wanting to thank you for adding my blog to your sidebar blog roll. I appreciate it. I don't have many followers but people often come from your blog to read one of my posts. So thank you.

      I hope you have a great weekend.

      Delete
  4. this is a lovely quilt. I really like scrappy quilts. they are so beautiful.
    Kathleen Mary
    https://kathysnest32.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. I like scrappy quilts, too, though I sometimes struggle with making them come together.

      I hope you have a great weekend.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...