Friday, August 31, 2018

Sweet Land of Liberty for August

Uneven stars?  Sure, no problem, I can make uneven stars.  I made a bunch for my Gwenny Medallion quilt. 


Oh, wait!  How do I do this again?  Making uneven stars is not like riding a bicycle!  I had trouble getting the first few angles right and had to unstitch several points, then ended with stars that are smaller than Cheri's.  These stars were a challenge.  And while I was making them without using the paper-piecing pattern because I don't paper-piece, it occurred to me that I was reinventing the wheel.  It's so much easier when one follows the program.  But there are some of us who have the need to go our own way....

These are my efforts for the Sweet Land of Liberty sew-along hosted by Lori of Humble Quilts.  Many thanks to Lori for organizing this sew-along.  It is both a challenge and fun.  Below are the parts I finished for August and notes about the change I made.  I'm a little further behind now than I was at the beginning of the month.  I think it's a good possibility I won't catch up to finish with everyone else who's participating, but so it goes.

I changed the flag.  A real U.S. flag has red stripes on both outer edges so I edited the pattern a little.  (I'm such a realist sometimes.)  My stripes are wider.  I'm happier with the balance.  The union will be at the top (as in the photo above), not at the bottom as Cheri stitched it in her original quilt.  I may add a star or three to the union (but definitely not the pattern's original seven or eight).


I haven't done the little angel with halo and "freedom" yet because I don't want embroidery on a quilt.  But I haven't had time to buy one more pen/marker to test for wash-ability and write-ability on fabric.  If I can get to the store this weekend to get one, I will have three different pens to try out.  When I learn which works I'll have several blocks to "embroider" with a pen.  I still need to choose fabric for the background and letters, then make and embroider them.  The yellow/golds below are possibilities for the crown but I may choose something darker.


The log cabin and eagle block is finished except for appliqueing to his side.


I haven't yet made the little embroidered remembrance block with the two birds and heart.  It's all embroidery on the pattern so I probably won't use pen to draw it but I may try to find a pattern to applique something similar.  Or stitch a pieced block.

So, if you write on fabric and want it to be permanent, what kind of pen or marker do you use?  Does it write smoothly on fabric?  Did you try pens/markers that you didn't like?

I'm linking this post to Month Sweet land of Liberty Linky party at Humble Quilts.  Thanks, Lori.

I'm also linking to BOMs Away at What a Hoot Quilts.  Thank you, Lynette.

--Nancy.
.

18 comments:

  1. I found a couple of birds on a stand on pinterest that I was considering using to replace the remembrance block. Here is the link
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/569846159097053927/
    I'm still frustrated that I misplaced that section of the pattern. I'm sure I'll find it soon - when I no longer need it.
    I really like your well-balanced flag. I hadn't thought about hanging it with the blue at the top.
    The only hint I have about marking on fabric is to iron it on a piece of freezer paper first so it the fabric doesn't shift while writing. But, then, you probably already know this. Curious to hear which pen works best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Robin, I like that pinterest board. I started following it. Those birds on the stand would be perfect. I might just use them.

      I hope you find the misplaced pattern sooner rather than later. I find it frustrating to lose things, and it happens more often that I'd like.

      I don't suppose the balanced flag looks primitive... but it's finished.

      When I first thought about using a pen to mimic embroidery I thought I would have to figure out some way to keep the fabric from shifting and remembered that freezer paper has a waxy side, so I ironed my piece of fabric onto freezer paper. Yesterday I was about to purchase a Pigma pen and also bought a Faber Castell India ink pen. I'll have to try them later, though. I have too many things on my plate just now. I'll take photos and report on the results of research with these pens. Others have suggested Pigma so maybe that will be the best.

      Delete
  2. All of your blocks look fantastic. The stars turned out great. I have only used a pigma marker on my quilts. I then heat set it. I don't know how long it lasts though. It's supposed to be permanent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy. They'll look even better when they're finished!

      Thank you for the tip to heat set the Pigma pen markings. I had not thought about doing that but it makes sense that it would help. I know others have said they use Pigma. It's one of the ones I have to try. I'll report on it later.

      Delete
  3. The best part of quilt-making is interpreting and adapting to make it your own. Enjoy going your own way! 8)
    I've used pigma pens in the past, but that was for dollmaking rather than quilts. I don't know how well they would wash. I'll be interested to seeing your results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gayle. Pigma pens seems to be popular with quilters, too. I bought one to give it a try, both for writing and for permanence. I'll report back!

      Delete
  4. Your bird on the log cabin blocks shows up so good! You chose the perfect fabric for him. I just love the fabrics you used in your flag as well.

    You will catch up. I started a month behind and hang in by the skin of my teeth each month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deana. Since I'm so far behind I can see how others did some of the blocks and make decisions based on what I see. I noticed that sometimes the crow faded into the background because both were dark. I decided to make the log cabin in mediums so the crow would show up.

      I started about 4 or 5 months behind and I don't know if I can catch up to everyone else now or not. I'll keep plugging away and hopefully finish during this decade!

      Delete
  5. You've making great progress. And if it makes you feel any better, I just started making this quilt yesterday, so you are way ahead of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shasta. I'll be interested to see your progress. It may be that you'll find before me, at the rate I'm going!

      Delete
  6. I've always used Pigma pens, and not had problems. They come in a variety of nib width, so you can have the lines thinner or thicker. I've not had any wash out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation of Pigma, Susan. Several others have said that's the pen they use. I had several a few years ago but they must have dried up and I threw them out. I bought a new one last week and hope to try some comparisons with other pens soon.

      Delete
  7. I love everything about this! No worries about when it will be complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori. It's just so much more fun to keep up with everyone else, but sometimes the rest of life gets in the way of quilting time!

      Thanks so much for hosting the sew-along. It's been fun.

      Delete
  8. I use the thinnest pigma pens all the time for tracing and will embroider over it. But I know many use the wider for their quilt labels, etc.
    Meanwhile, I love your eagle and this will work out beautifully, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jocelyn. Pigma seems to be the hands-down favorite for writing on fabric, at least among those who left comments. I just bought a new one and will give it a try, along with two or three others.

      Delete
  9. Your bird looks great on the log cabin block. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...