Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Trying to Beat the Clock

I have just another three weeks till grandbaby boy is born.  I'm working overtime, trying to beat the clock, to finish this quilt before he arrives.  (The photo below was taken on the diagonal.  You can see the border in the lower right corner.)

Enlarged variation of Kim Diehl's Barn Stars

There are twelve 12" blocks and a 6-inch-wide border all around.  I think I'm coming along well until I remember that the borders are almost equal to the center in size and will, therefore, take just as much quilting time.

This is how I've been quilting the blocks, below.  I have 10 of the 12 finished with this much quilting.  But I think the stars need double diagonal lines from the on-point squares in their centers to the edges of the stars, and maybe all the way to the centers of the adjacent blocks.  There's just too much unquilted space, especially for a quilt that will likely get lots of use. 


I thought about quilting with an all-over pattern for this quilt, particularly Baptist Fans, which is one of my favorites, but I couldn't reconcile the points in the stars with the curves of the fans.

Have you ever noticed that too little quilting makes a quilt wear out faster?  I have heard it is so but I haven't used any quilts long enough to tell.

Wherever you are in the world I hope you're enjoying October.  Last week we had temperatures in the high 80s here in central Ohio.  This week it's been in the 40s and we had frost this morning.  I'm hoping the trees change color soon.

I'm linking this post to
> WOW at Esther's Blog
> Let's Bee Social #246 at Sew Fresh Quilts
> MidWeek Makers #145 at Quilt Fabrication

Nancy.
. 

18 comments:

  1. Your quilting makes your pretty quilt even more lovely! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your quilting idea is the better choice. BTW, the little one won't know if this is a week or two late!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. You're so right about him not knowing whether the quilt's on time.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I have noticed more wear on the fabric of a quilt we have that has wide-open quilting on it. It's far more open than what you have here, though. This is a pretty quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment about the quilt, Lynette, and also the response to my question about wear on a quilt with less quilting. I will definitely be adding a little more quilting to this one.

      Delete
  4. Your adaptation of this design worked out so well, Nancy! I think you made a good choice on the quilting.
    I think it is true about sparse quilting making a quilt wear out faster. Seems that there is more pull and stress on the fibers when the quilting is sparse. And maybe I have no idea of what I speak. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janet. It's going to get more but I'm still deciding on exactly where to put it in the stars. I tried out my first idea tonight and I'm not sure. I'm quilting the border now so I have another day or so before I have to decide.

      The consensus is that less quilting causes a quilt to wear out faster, just as you suggested. Maybe that's why so many of the really old quilts we see have lots of stitching. The ones with less stitching didn't make it.

      Delete
  5. I kind of like a deadline. It motivates me to make good use of my time. The quilt is looking so sweet. Your grandbaby will love it regardless of the number of quilting stitches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kinds words about this quilt, Robin. I do like a deadline but I like a self-imposed deadline. Of course, if I'd started this quilt earlier it could have been finished by now and there wouldn't have been a deadline. But, in general, I'm with you that deadlines are very motivating.

      Delete
  6. Very nice quilt, sometime a deadline makes us work more efficient! I bet your grandson will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Barbora. I often choose deadlines but they're self-chosen, which means I've carefully considered the project and chosen the time it might take, minus a little time so I push myself a little.

      Delete
  7. Perhaps echo the quilting in the star once or twice? And yes, unquilted areas do wear out quicker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still deciding about the extra quilting in the stars, QuiltGranma. I thought about echo the star.... Maybe. Thanks for confirming that lightly quilted areas wear faster. That seems to be the consensus.

      Do you have a blog? If so, I would like to visit.

      Delete
  8. Oh, those colors are just so warm and inviting...perfect for welcoming your grandson! It sounds as if you are making good progress on this lovely quilt. I'm sure you are close to finishing it by now. I think your idea to add some extra quilting is a good one for a baby quilt that is sure to be cherished and loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Karin. Thank you so much for your sweet comments. The quilt is almost finished -- I have a few rows of quilting in part of the border to finish, then the binding, and it's done. I'm looking forward to cuddling that new baby when he arrives!

      Delete
  9. This is so soft and warm...a true baby quilt. Your quilting is wonderful and I've never heard that about the lack of quilting. I know my mom had some that were just tied and seemed to last no problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jocelyn. The lack of quilting is something I noticed in a few quilts I have that are tied and in quilts I see at thrift stores. I don't really know what makes one quilt last longer than another -- maybe it's just more or less use.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...