Monday, December 3, 2018

Cactus and Stocks for One Monthly Goal


I'm still stitching away on Linda Brannock's Flowers blocks.  She called this block "Cacti."  (I usually think of two or more when I see the plural of Latin words.)  The green plaid is a stronger, richer color in real life.  I chose it because it reminds me of the the many cacti that have spines running vertically that look like stripes from a distance.  I still need to choose the fabric for the planter.  I have several possibilities in mind.  

One of the challenging parts of this block was making those narrow blue strips.  I had a length of 3/4" wide blue but when I folded it, it was still too wide.  I cut it to about 1/2" then cut a little more off.  They were small to manipulate but I'm pleased with them, for the most part.  They finish at about 1/4" wide.

I think I can get block this finished by the end of the week -- unless there are interruptions that take my stitching time.

After the cactus block is finished I'll get the pattern for Stocks, on the left in the photo below, and after that's finished, I'll get the pattern for the Pineapple, and finally the Marigolds and Blueberries on the bottom right.


So, my One Monthly Goal for December is to finish both the cactus and the stocks blocks.  And wouldn't I love it if I could finish the pineapple, too, but chances are slim, so I'll stick with a goal of finishing two blocks instead of three.

I'm linking this post to
> One Monthly Goal at Elm Street Quilts
> BOMs Away at What a Hoot Quilts
> Moving it Forward at Em's Scrapbag
> Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
> Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful applique -- reminds me of my favorite antique quilts and yes, that plaid is perfect for the cactus. For the skinny strips, did you consider using the 1/4" bias sticks? Those metal bars that you seam the fabric down the long sides, trim the seam allowance, and stick the bar inside with the seam allowance centered on the back and press it with an iron? I love those for stems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca Grace. I didn't think about using the bias sticks but I probably wouldn't have used them for this applique. I think, because there would have been four layers of fabric for each tiny strip, they would have ended up too think. I've never used the bias sticks but I can imagine them being perfect for long stems.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your goal--those blue pieces do look challenging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. I'm almost half-finished, just the little flower pot to applique down on the first block. I hope I can get the next one done, too!

      Delete
  3. What a cool block! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patty. I think it's one of Linda Brannock's most fanciful (or unusual) blocks in this quilt.
      Thanks for hosting One Monthly Goal.

      Delete
  4. You made a good fabric choice for the cactus - emphasizing the vertical spines rather than something with spikes on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann. It was hard to tell exactly which cactus Linda Brannock might have had in mind for this block but I'm satisfied with the plaid giving the suggestion of vertical spines.

      Delete
  5. I like the plaid, too! Excellent choice for a cactus!
    (Am I the only one who thinks this cactus looks like it's dancing?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gayle. Haha. I hadn't thought about it dancing but I think it's the most unusual flower block I've ever quilted.

      Delete
  6. Looking good. You can get the pineapple done....it is easy. I have stalled on the final block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennie. Oh, that final block looks really, really hard with all the narrow stems. I think the top on the pineapple looks hard, too, but I'll give it a try. I just have the flower pot to stitch down and I'll be finished with the cactus. On to the stocks next!

      Delete
  7. I think the green plaid is a very good choice!
    You are doing well in my book if you get one block finished, let alone two or three!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. Well, when an applique blocks is the ONLY thing one is working on, it doesn't seem like so much of an accomplishment (to me, at least). But, I'm happy to be getting them done.

      Delete
  8. Looking great! I’m still looking for my patterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karrin. Maybe you gave or loaned your patterns? I hope you find them, especially if you're going to make another of these quilts.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful! The design is right up my alley. Might have to search for this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susie. The pattern is Flowers by Linda Brannock. She has an unusual and fanciful collection of flowers in this quilt.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...