Saturday, January 26, 2019

Gratitude and A Plan + One Monthly Goal

You dear readers who leave comments are so wonderful!  My last post was a bit of a moan about my slow progress on a quilt with tiny pieces.  You left comments that were just what I needed to read.  Some of you recommended leaders/enders, others said to just stick it out till it's finished, and all of you, whatever else you said, left a few words of encouragement.  Thank you!


There are two main problems with this double/triple four-patch quilt.  Many of the pieces are small and small takes time.  And, the browns seemed to jump all over the place because I didn't (and still don't) have enough of any one brown to unify the background of the quilt.  As I was thinking about the problems I occurred to me that I didn't really have any plan other than using red and brown fabrics in double and triple four-patch blocks cut to specific sizes, and a tentative layout for the blocks.


What I needed was a plan.  What size quilt, how many blocks, how many of each kind, etc.  So I made a plan that included a layout, the number of each kind of block, and how many of each size and color of squares to cut.  It turns out I still had to cut 320 1¼" red and brown blocks each, plus the 2" red and brown, and 3½" brown blocks.  Lots and lots of pieces to cut!  But knowing how many the quilt needed and keeping track of how many I cut has helped a lot.

I started this quilt because I had what I thought was a lot of red scraps that I wanted to use.  Had I stuck with a 4-patch block, I would have used an equal amount of red and brown fabric.  But when that was so boring I came up with the idea of the double-four-patch blocks, and then the triple-four-patch blocks and the background became brown.  What was I thinking?  Or, what was I not thinking, not to realize how much brown fabric I would need for this quilt!

I've spent a few hours making additional double and triple four-patches to try to unify the browns in the blocks, though there's still a variety throughout the quilt.  I really like using red and brown together.  I like the two different blocks and the layout of the blocks.  I just hope I can create unity throughout the quilt despite the many browns. 

double four-patch, triple four-patch quilt blocks

As of now I'm planning that the quilt will be 6 blocks wide (72") x 8 blocks long (84"), needing a total of 48 blocks.  To keep balance I plan to split the 6th block and put half on each side.  That layout will complete the diagonals made of the small triple four-patch blocks.  As of today, I have 23 blocks completed (except for sewing the four quadrants together), 3 blocks with sections to change out to unify the browns, 5 blocks in progress, and pieces cut for more blocks. And, of course, more fabric to cut.

Finishing this quilt top to at least the point of having all the blocks made and arranged is my One Monthly Goal for February.  I have lots of cutting and sewing to do.  Do you think I can meet that goal?!  I hope so.  I'm linking to One Monthly Goal February Goal Setting Link-up at Elm Street Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Patty.

Again, thank you to everyone who left a comment on the last post.  I appreciate it.

I'm linking this post to
> Moving It Forward Monday at Em's Scrapbag
> Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
> Main Crush Monday at Cooking Up Quilts
> Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housewor
> Friday Night with Friends at Gone Stitchin'
> Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More 
> Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.
.

30 comments:

  1. I love this quilt more every time I see it. The variety of browns makes it interesting and sparkle, if brown can do that. The pops of red are perfect and this kinda makes me wish I had more brown in my stash so I could make one, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Katie. As I've been playing with the browns and rearranging I think I'm beginning to see some "sparkle." Brown is one of my favorite colors but I'm trying to use up ends of browns instead of breaking into larger pieces of browns.

      Delete
  2. That layout looks really good - keep at it! Remember, it is not a race. Just take the time to enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shasta. Those tiny triple 4-patches are definitely time-consuming to make so I can't go very fast. At first I though I might be able to make two a day but it didn't take long to realize I couldn't. Slowly but surely, I'll have a quilt top.

      Delete
  3. You've really made some great progress. It's looking so pretty. I like that you made up the pattern yourself. That makes it completely your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I'm slowly making progress. It's been both fun and challenging to move the blocks around, especially the tiny one, to try to find a smooth transition from one large block to the next. I hope I can work it all out so there's somewhat of a smooth transition between blocks.

      Delete
  4. Wow, this layout is fabulous. I'm really impressed with all the effort you have put into working out the right scheme for your blocks and your chosen colours. I question if I should be quilting as I lack exactly this...the patience to figure out these things on paper and do it right. Always inspiring to me, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jocelyn. I don't often work things out on paper, usually just play it by ear (or by eye, as the case may be). Of course you should be quilting! Every quilter works differently and there's no right or wrong way to create a quilt. You make beautiful quilts!

      Delete
  5. When all else fails, it is good to have a plan. Many of my projects are fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kinds of things. But when that isn't working for me, I have to sit down and make a plan.
    I think you have nothing to fear with all of the different browns. They just give depth and character to the overall effect. If they were to blend too well you may as well have used one brown for the whole thing, and where's the fun in that? :)
    It is beautiful, Nancy. They way the red pops from the brown just makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Oh, Janet, it's a terrible thing how I don't plan. It often leads to disaster -- or at least seam ripping and re-cutting of fabric, etc.

      I've been making the blocks in groups of four to make a larger 12" block. That works really well with the larger 4-patches but it's taken me a bit of time, juggling, and playing to see that things might work better with the tiny 4-patches if the various browns are arranged linearly instead of as Xs. I'm still playing but I think (and hope) I can make all the browns play well together.

      Delete
  6. Loving your red & browns together! For me, all the different browns are great, they add some major interest & the more variety the better! My daughter always knows exactly how many bits to cut, but I daren't add up the pieces & rows to be made, too daunting & I'd never get finished otherwise! We all work differently :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. If I'd started by calculating how many pieces I had to cut before I started sewing I know I would not have begun. It would have been just too intimidating to think of thousands of pieces of fabric in one quilt. I don't usually do it but all else was failing! Ha.

      I'm working hard (or playing hard) to get those browns to play well together. I don't want them to look like chunks of different browns, hop scotch style. It can't be avoided with the large 4-patch blocks that form a circle, but I'm trying to get the tiny 4-patch blocks to blend better than they work. I hope I can do it!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. LOL. Thank you, Angie. I hope it still does when it's finished!

      Delete
  8. Really nice look, easy on the eye. All that brown is delightful! I am still collecting gray fabric for one that has a dominance of color like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tami! I'm hoping, in the end, that all the browns play well together and that none calls too much attention to itself. I'm looking forwarding to seeing your quilt with grays.

      Delete
  9. I think it's looking GREAT!! As long as you try to spread the dark chocolate and milk chocolate colored fabrics around the quilt, it will be fine. It's a SCRAP quilt, right? If not, just pretend it is! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyful! I have been playing with the arrangement of the tiny 4-patch blocks with the various browns in them. I think I can make it work (to my eyes) -- at least I hope I can.

      Delete
  10. It's such a good feeling to have the plan finally gel! Looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susie. Yes, it's good to have a plan. Now if I can just make the browns play well together it will be a great quilt!

      Delete
  11. It's lovely, but I feel your pain about working with the small pieces! I'm only able to hand piece right now (still displaced from Hurricane Florence), and a good bit of the blocks for one quilt top is 2" squares to make 16 patch. I'm alternating between projects so it won't be so daunting. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie Anne. Bit by bit I'll finish this quilt!

      How sad to be in a hotel because of the hurricane. It must be very hard. So glad you have some fabric and supplies to be able to stitch. I'm always impressed when people stitch quilts by hand!

      Delete
  12. Love the pops of red! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Patty. I'm hoping the reds can hold their own against the browns!

      Delete
  13. I don't have many red scraps myself, but I do like what you're doing with yours. Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. Do you not have red scraps because you don't use much red or because you've used them all? (Just out of curiosity.) I know many people think the color red is too strong.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...