Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Wishing You a Happy New Year and January's One Monthly Goal


Happy New Year!  I wish you a wealth of happiness, an abundance of joy, blessings beyond your imagination, and plenty of time to stitch in 2019.

This is our third day of grey, grey weather.  It's mid-day and I need the lights on to see!  I love this about Ohio winters but I also dislike it.  On days like this nothing calls to me more than a nap.  Of course, it could be I want a nap because it's a holiday today; or because I just spent five days with four little ones 6 and under.  But I'm resisting, at least for now.

Today I'm choosing fabrics for the pineapple block for Linda Brannock's quilt. 


I haven't pulled background fabrics yet but I'm trying to decide whether either of these fabrics looks pineapple-y enough to use.   I think of pineapples as golden but when I look at photos online it's only the ripe ones that are mostly golden.  The less ripe ones have green, tan, and gold in their skin.  (Images here.) 

What do you think about these two fabrics for the pineapple?  I have to be creative--imaginative-- because if my limited fabric choices. 

I thought this was a block I would not want to change but I find that I'm not sure about the appliqued triangles across the bottom.  I'm still playing with fabrics and will choose, perhaps when there's more light outside.

My One Monthly Goal for January at Elm Street Quilts is to finish hand appliqueing this pineapple block. 

Quips from my grandchildren

M, grandson age 6:  "I'll be researching that at school when I go back."  Really?  They teach children to research in first grade now?

O, granddaughter age nearly 5, while playing Old Maid and after taking a card:  "I have a match to that."  She fanned out her hand, looked at the cards, and said, "Apparently not."  Really?!  Little kids use the word "apparently" these days?  It nearly cracked me up and it was really hard not to laugh.

How I love those little ones!

Again, I hope you have a Happy New Year and a wealth of blessings!  (And now, at 3:30, I'm going for a nap because it looks like the sun has already set!)

I'm linking this post to One Monthly Goal January Goal Setting Link-up at Elm Street Quilts.  Thank you for hosting, Patty.

--Nancy.
.

18 comments:

  1. I really like the fabric on the left. It's going to be such a pretty quilt. Really looking forward to the new year and all the new projects - ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Robin. I'm leaning toward the fabric on the left but will probably cut patterns for both and give them a try. (Unless I find another fabric I think works better and looks more pineapple-y.)

      I'm trying hard not to start any new quilts until I finish these ones in progress. I don't mind tops awaiting quilting but loose blocks are a bit of a frustration to me. Now, if I can only resist starting a new quilt or two....

      Delete
  2. Kids can be so funny. The just-turned 2-year old's favorite word currently is 'octagon'! Go figure. I really like that patterned fabric on the left in your photo for a pineapple. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's funny, Pat. Octagon is a fun word to say but definitely an unusual word for a 2-year-old. Does he/she know what it means?

      Thanks for your thoughts about which fabric looks more pineapple-y. I'll probably cut pineapples of both and then decide.

      Delete
  3. Love the quotations from the kids. They are so fun. :)
    I actually like both fabrics--I don't think you could go wrong with either one, but the one on the left would probably be my first choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. I think the fabric on the left is better than the one on the right but I chose a completely different fabric for the pineapple -- at least until I see what I've chosen in better light, and then I might change my mind again and go back to the one on the left. I love this part of making a quilt -- playing with fabric and colors....

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year to ya'll too!
    LOL...Your grandchildren's quotes made me laugh. I love the way little one's minds work!
    Like Janet, I like both fabrics you have selected, but I would also probably cut both before settling on one or the other. You always make the perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karin. I sure wish they lived closer so we could see them more often. They're only 3½ hours away but it's still a long drive.

      I chose a different fabric than either of the two in the photos above but it's been really grey here and when we have more light, I may change my mind again. You're too kind to say I always make the perfect choice. Maybe it's only because you and other blog readers don't see all the other choices I might have made....

      Delete
  5. I agree with Janet--either one of those fabrics would make a great pineapple. Maybe you should make two--lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. Well, I could make two, and I might have thought about making two if I really loved pineapples or this pineapple block.... But I may cut several of the fabrics and see how they look. I've chosen a completely different one just now but I should look at it in the sunlight (if we ever see the sun before April!) before I start stitching.

      Delete
  6. Both of those fabrics look to me like they would work. You've got some smart grandkids, probably because their parents are smart, probably because their grandparents are smart too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts on the fabrics, Shasta. I don't know about smart grandparents, but the grands seem pretty on top of things.

      Delete
  7. I like your fabric choices. It will look pineappley regardless. The vintage primitive style looks great in the old style prints. I made a true to color pineapple and it was modern looking. I prefer the old style.
    Love those kid quotes! Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the fabric choices for the pineapple. I hadn't thought about how a brighter color would change the "feel" of the block. I finally chose a completely different fabric and will post photos later. Yes, I like the old style, too.

      Delete
  8. I think either of the fabrics is okay, but I like the left one best. If we never saw it, though, we'd love the one on the right just as much. =) I loved your quotes from your grandchildren! They obviously spend time around people who have excellent vocabularies. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the fabrics, Susan. I just finished stitching the block last night but probably won't post it until I finish the last one, too, hopefully in a few weeks. I finally chose a completely different fabric for the pineapple.

      I hope you had a great New Year!

      Delete
  9. Cute quotes! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...