Monday, December 31, 2018

Reviewing 2018 Quilty Progress

I decided to cheer myself up this afternoon (after the sadness of saying goodbye to my daughters, my four grandchildren, and my son-in-law) by looking over my progress this past year.  It wasn't really such a cheerful experience with only two finishes.  Ah, well, another year's coming.

Of the 82 posts I published in 2018, there were only two about completely finished quilts.  Most other posts were about works in progress or miscellaneous posts.  This is my quilty year in review.

Finishes

Autumn Barn Stars for Noah

Utility Stars

In Progress but Unfinished

Little Rubies triple four-patch blocks (and here).  This is a true scrap quilt.  I had leftovers of reds and browns, just trying to get rid of them.  The two sizes of four-patches and double-four-patches are sewn together but they're not yet sewn into blocks.  Looking at the photo, I see some blocks whose placement will change.


The Blue and the Gray, a Civil War quilt.  All the blocks are made for this quilt, I just need to cut the sashing, choose the layout, and stitch.





Everyday Patchwork, a Cheri Payne sampler quilt.  This is my first sampler quilt.  To finish this quilt I need to cut black sashing, arrange the blocks, and stitch.  There is some applique on the border, too.


Linda Brannock's Flowers, an applique sew-along.  I still have two blocks to make and half-triangle squares for sashing.


Sweet Land of Liberty, a sew-along I began late and couldn't keep up with.  It has many applique blocks and many pieced blocks!  The sew-along repeats again this year and I'll try to keep up.



Posts by the Numbers (least viewed first)
Victory Bowl and Liberty Fish Plus a Few Stars
Borders on Everyday Patchwork
The Lure of Online Fabric Shops
Hand Quilting Utility Stars
An Error in Judgment
Nothing to Do
Into Thin Air
Volunteer Blooms and Berries
A Finish! (most comments)
Blue Stars (most views)

One of the things I hope I've learned this year is to choose more carefully.  There are so many wonderful and enticing sew-alongs offered throughout the year.  It seems a new one pops up at least monthly on blogs or on Facebook.  Too often I think, "Yes, I can do that.  It won't take much time."  Or, "Oh, that's beautiful.  I'd love to have a quilt like that."  Then I join in without thinking through how much time it will really take or how difficult it might be.  With a limited amount of time to devote to quilting, I need to be more careful about my choices.  It's easy to keep working on others' patterns and ideas and let my ideas for quilts go by the wayside.  I want to avoid that this year.  Of course, I have enough quilts in progress that I probably shouldn't choose to start a new quilt until at least one or two are finished.

I also hope to layer several tops and quilt them this year.  With so much hand applique to do it leaves me less/little time to hand quilt.  I need a course correction in that area.

I'm linking this post to Best of 2018 Linky Party at Meadow Mist Designs.

--Nancy.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! You've been working on so many interesting projects! And so many are near completion! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Claire. Yes, too many quilts in progress. I don't mind having tops laying around waiting for quilting but I don't like to leave too many blocks in an unfinished state, especially if they're all ready to be sewn into a quilt!

      Delete
  2. You said; "With so much hand applique to do it leaves me less/little time to hand quilt."
    I find this to be so true. I want so much to get my quit tops quilted and then I get busy on a hand applique project. There is just so much time in the day and just so many times I can prick my finger before I need to stop stitching. I'm anxious to see what you pick out for sashing for your sampler quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to do both at the same, isn't it Robin? I can take applique in the car but I'd have to spend a LOT of time in the car to make a dent in blocks for a whole quilt. I usually hand quilt while watching the news or listening to scriptures or books on my phone. I really should make backing for a quilt and get one layered to have on hand.

      So, I'm not the only one who pricks her fingers when stitching or quilting? It takes me a while to build up callouses when I begin hand quilting again and until I do, it's about an hour a day max for the sake of my fingers!

      Cheri Payne's pattern for the sampler quilt calls for black sashing. I've never used black on a quilt before and wonder if I can really do it for this quilt. I'll lay the blocks against black and see what I think. Maybe I'd like brown better....

      Delete
  3. "Listening" to your chat with Robin was fun. I have to build up the calluses on my fingers when I start a hand quilting project, too. But I don't applique, so what is my excuse for not getting more hand quilting done?
    I also don't like to get encumbered by so many SALs that I can't accomplish my own project goals. I am going to try to be very good this year. Some years I am successful and other years all of my good intentions are for naught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I'm glad you enjoyed the chat, Janet. Well, not everyone loves to hand quilt, or has time to do it. So no excuse needed. It's just a difference in priorities, I think.

      We should try to be good together about avoiding sew-alongs this year, Janet. I can tell you now I have a hankering to do a map quilt for the Ad Hoc Improv Quilters group, and I've been resisting it for 5 months. And I really just need to finish about five or six quilts that are in pieces before doing anything new. Help me be strong! If you even notice that I'm talking about something new, please give me a reminder to stop before I'm too deep into it!

      Delete
  4. Your projects are all very worthy of being finished. Lovely colours and such neat stitching. I am learning to resist QALs too. One look at my collection of UFOs should be enough of a reminder whenever I am tempted!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Allison. Yes, I should probably put up a sign to remind myself about my in-progress, half-finished quilts whenever I think about starting something new! I wish you all the best in resisting temptation.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...