Friday, February 8, 2019

Three in the Que for Sashing

Linda Brannock's Flowers blocks are high on my list to receive sashing.  These are photos of the blocks collaged onto a background similar to what I hope to use.  Unfortunately, the photos were not all taken in the same light so their colors are not true to life.
Flower blocks for Linda Brannock's Flowers Quilt
The sashing will be multi-colored half-triangle squares with a near-constant color (fabrics below) for part of each square and a variety of fabrics and colors for the other half of the squares.  I think a variety of fabrics will be more interesting than only one fabric but I may change my mind after I start cutting, sewing, and auditioning.
The sashing squares may become leaders/enders for one of the other quilts below.


Another quilt awaiting sashing is The Blue and the Gray from the book, The Blue and the Gray:  Quilt Patters using Civil War Fabrics by Mary Etherington and Connie Tesene.  I doubled the sizes of the blocks.
The 9-patch blocks will finish at 9½" square and the red cross corner stones will finish at 4½".  It's taken a while to collect a variety of grey fabrics for the sashing.  Each piece will be cut at 4½" x 9½".   I don't think any of my fabrics qualify as true Civil War reproductions but who will know that was the intent of the quilt if I don't tell them?


And last for sashing is Cheri Payne's Everyday Patchwork.  These 6" blocks (or 8" with the borders) will be sashed with scrappy black fabrics.  It will get a wide border with applique.
blocks for Cheri Payne's Everyday Patchwork sampler quilt

I find I'm hungry for color after working on Little Rubies with its limited palette of red and brown for 5 weeks.  Thinking about working on the quilts above encourages me to continue and, perhaps, work faster to finish Rubies.  I tell myself I'm almost there, with only two large 4-patch blocks to cut and sew, 14 more 3½" squares to cut and sew, 5 6½" x 12½" rectangles to cut, about 27 blocks requiring 4 seams, and sewing the rows together.  I'm eager to get these pieces into a top so I can layer, baste, and begin quilting it.  Soon, soon....
Red and brown double and triple four-patch quilt blocks

I have to say it's been really hard not to start another quilt, especially for several of the quilt-alongs going on around the internet.  Last Thursday evening I went to bed with a great idea and the decision to begin.  When I awoke the next morning, the idea was completely gone, with not a shred of a memory of the idea.  I took that as a sign I should not start a new quilt now.  Haha.

I took this photo the other morning as I travelled a rural road on my way to I can't remember where.  It was a quick phone snapshot just so I can remember the beauty of a snowy woodland. 


I'm linking this post to
> Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts
> Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.
.

20 comments:

  1. Your flower blocks are so cute--love them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen. I need to pull out some graph paper and get to work!

      Delete
  2. Your Flowers blocks are beautiful, and the sashing plan sounds perfect. All your other plans/ blocks/ sashings sound great too. It will be so satisfying to finish these projects. As for Red n Brown, I know you struggle with it but I LOVE it, such an unusual and interesting quilt. It's exceptional.

    love
    lizzy

    gone to the beach lizzzz.d@mail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind, encouraging words, Lizzy. It will be very satisfying to finally have a finish. I hope I can get the rubies blocks sewn together, make a back, layer, and finally start quilting. It's been ages and it will probably take me weeks to build up callouses again. I think the other quilts should go together quickly (though I always seem to be able to find something to dither about.... Haha.)

      Delete
  3. I gasped out loud when I saw all your flower blocks together. It is just so strikingly lovely. I wish I could come and sew with you to encourage you along with the rubies quilt. It's so hard to maintain the enthusiasm sometimes when we get so many interruptions and days go buy that we haven't been able to work on a project. I read your comments on kokaquilts blog. I'm right there with you. . . nothing can compare to hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet comment about the flowers blocks. I hope the finish is as good as the photo collage! You're so kind, Robin, to want to come sew with me to encourage me along. I'm finally making some serious headway. All the larger double four-patch blocks are sewn together (the ones that make a circle-ish shape.) Too few medium browns has been a bit of a problem/hold-up. I think I've finally solved that problem and can begin sewing the triple four-patch blocks together tomorrow. Little by little, though I'm still hoping to meet my goal to have these blocks into a top by the end of the month.

      Delete
  4. I love your Linda Brannock's Flowers. I've looked for the patterns and they do not all seem to be available any more. I know it would be a huge undertaking and fun. I guess if I can't get the patterns that's a sign that is not to be for me. Thanks for sharing your progress on a magnificient quilt and I am waiting to see the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suze. I wanted to let you know that if you are on Facebook, you can join the Linda Brannock BOM Quilt-a-longs group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/203164573577918/), which is where I was able to get the patterns. I think the first is available there, and when you finish it, Lorraine will send you the pattern for the next one. I hope this quilt will be one of my monthly goals in April or May.

      Delete
  5. Still love your Flowers quilt and am still looking for my patterns, I love all your projects, just the sort of thing I would like to do. This week I found 2 more UFOs and am on the way to finishing one! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karrin. If you are on Facebook you can join Good for you to begin finishing a UFO. the Linda Brannock BOM Quilt-a-longs group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/203164573577918/), which is where I was able to get the patterns. I think the first is available there, and when you finish it, Lorraine will send you the pattern for the next one.

      Delete
  6. Wow, great progress! Three in que!!! I love your Little Rubies quilt! It's a gem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous blocks. I had to laugh when I read your comment about dreaming about a project and then forgetting it all together. I do that so often it scares me! I guess if our "to make" lists weren't so long already we might not have this problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. I'm glad I'm not the only one who forgets what they had in mind. I should have made a drawing or written the idea down, but then it would have been one more quilt on my to make list!

      Delete
  8. I often have good ideas as I'm getting ready for bed. Often I've reconsidered by the morning, so maybe it's not so bad that you lost that thought. Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. Before bed I thought it was a really good idea but you're probably right that it's not so bad I lost it. If it were that good, I would remember it, right?

      Delete
  9. All your quilts in progress are going to be wonderful! Those flowers especially are going to be stunning!
    And I totally understand wanting to work with color - it's been so gray and gloomy that I'm positively CRAVING color! I'm having to rein myself in or everything I make would end up bright orange and electric blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gayle. I hope the flowers quilt turns out well. We've had so many grey days in a row I have quit counting! Snow, then rain, rain, rain. I do love winter and a good rainy day but it's nice to get a break between rainy days! I know how much you love color and light from you quilts so I can imagine how hard the grey, gloomy days are for you. Only a few more weeks till we can at least start imagining that we're seeing signs of spring!

      Delete
  10. Very well displayed. Thanks for the post. It was very interesting.
    Background Removal Service

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...