Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Two Flower Blocks - A Double Finish!

This first block finished completes my One Monthly Goal for January.  Not wanting to prolong finishing all the blocks any long, I pressed on to finish the last one for the quilt.

This is "Pineapple" from Linda Brannock's Flowers quilt.  I finished it mid-January.   It measures 13½" x 17½". 

Pineapple for Linda Brannock's Flowers Quilt

The original leafy top for this had the narrowest little spikes.  I liked it well enough but wasn't sure my skills were up to such detail so I adapted the leafy top.  I'm happy with this one.


I jumped to the next and last flower block as soon as the pineapple was finished.  This is "Marigolds and Blueberries."  The block measures 20½" x 12½". 

Marigolds and Blueberries for Linda Brannock's Flowers Quilt

I thought most of the blocks in this quilt were quirky, including this one.  By the time I finished the marigolds I liked them a lot with their leaves cut with the stems and the top half of the stems and leaves moving right into the flowers.  I thought about leaving off the blueberries but decided the block would look pretty bare.  This is the only block for which I didn't audition all the fabrics while the other blocks were laid out.  I hope they play all well together.

This block will need a good soak and wash.  It's stiff with glue because of all the tight curves!  I hope the orange/red fabric doesn't run.  I'll use Dawn dish soap for the wash.  I understand it either helps prevent colors from running or, if they run, it helps prevent the other fabrics from soaking in the color.  This is not a block I would like to make again.

The next step in this quilt is the sashing, made of half square triangles.  By the pattern the quilt will finish at 49" x 76".  I've never made such a long narrow quilt and can't imagine it being very useful for napping under or laying on a bed.  I plan to widen it by making the HSTs larger and adding a border of HSTs around the edges inside the outer border.  It will require too much calculating and perhaps plenty of trial and error.  Not to mention that I'm not sure about colors for the triangles.  Lots of play to look forward to with this quilt.

I'm linking this post to
> One Monthly Goal January Finish link-up at Elm Street Quilts
> BOMs Away at What a Hoot Quilts
> Wednesday Wait Loss 104 at The Inquiring Quilter
> Midweek Makers #160 at Quilt Fabrication
> Friday Night with Friends at Gone Stitchin'
> Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More 
> Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts
Thank you for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.
.

24 comments:

  1. I am enchanted by your Marigolds and Blueberries block--glad you didn't leave off the blueberries. This will be a great quilt, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. I'm trying to convince myself that I will love this quilt when it's finished. The flowers are just so (maybe too?) quirky.... There are several that I like a lot but others not so much.

      Delete
  2. I love your pineapple block especially, the fabric you have chosen is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. I had forgotten I had the fabric but I think it works.

      Delete
  3. Wasn’t that amazing to see a house exactly like your blocks!
    And these blocks are sweet. Happy Stitching Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, it was a surprise to see that brown house with red trim, Jocelyn.

      Delete
  4. I love the fabric you picked out for the pineapple. It is just perfect. You've been busy. I am always motivated when I get close to the end and I start sewing faster. You're almost there. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I somehow missed the pineapple fabric when I first looked through the options.
      Yes, busy, but not busy enough, or maybe just not fast enough to suit me! I'm looking forwarding to getting the red and brown quilt off the floor.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful block. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, is that perfect fabric for a pineapple! Love the Marigolds and Blueberries block too. Congratulations on hitting your goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Wendy. I hesitated just a bit about the pineapple fabric thinking the colors weren't very pineapple-y, but the pattern won out in the end.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful work - can't wait to see them all together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I suspect it will be a few weeks, or longer, before I work on the sashing. I have to figure out the resizing for the sashing triangle squares. And get the brown and red quilt up off the floor. I just need to work faster!

      Delete
  8. Lovely blocks... & congrats on your success at OMG... xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good on you for making variations to suit your own sewing techniques. Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. I often wonder how designers feel about people changing up their patterns. In this case, Linda won't know!

      Delete
  10. That is a skinny quilt! I agree with your decision to add borders. Love those quirky little blocks! So sweet. Thanks for sharing them on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. It would be such a skinny quilt that it might qualify as a "hired man's quilt" -- except, of course, that it's a little too feminine for a guy.

      Delete
  11. Those are fun blocks. I especially love your choice of fabric for the pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, works4me. The fabric for the pineapple seems to popular with several other commenters, too.

      Delete
  12. Terrific blocks! And good for you for adapting the borders to give you the size you want. One nice thing about the quirky blocks in this quilt is that you can be relaxed about HST borders - if the calculating gets to be too much, you can just insert some rectangles in with the HSTs to get the length you need. Design feature, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gayle. It's true that the quirkiness and various sizes of these blocks will not draw attention to variations in the sashing. Who will know that I added an inch in all directions, and even Linda B. added little rectangles to fill in along the way. Primitive quilting is definitely make-do and adaptable.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...