Thursday, February 28, 2019

Little Rubies

The Little Rubies blocks are sewn together, which means I met my One Monthly Goal for February.  Whew!  It was a challenging one.

Double and triple 4-patch blocks in red and brown

I don't usually count pieces, but when I put the top on the floor and wondered whether it was square, curiosity got the best of me.  The X blocks have 88 squares.  So many tiny pieces, so many seams, each one an opportunity for a block to be out of kilter and then a top to follow. 

This quilt top has been challenging in several ways.  First, the browns.  When I began cutting and sewing I intended to make 3½" 4-patch blocks in reds and browns, equal amounts of two colors using lots of scraps.  But those first 4-patch blocks were boring.  I decided on double 4-patch blocks using brown as the background.  Then at some point I realized that tiny double/triple 4-patch blocks would add some interest.  When I made those two choices I had no idea how much brown fabric the blocks would need.  (If I'd though about it a little more I might have reconsidered....)

Double and triple 4-patch blocks in red and brown

The second challenge was creating a quilt that looks unified despite the variation in browns.  It is a scrap quilt but I didn't want one brown to take over a whole section of the quilt.  With this quilt pattern I'm not sure so many browns with variations if value, prints, etc., could have resulted in unity among them.  Some of the browns were cut at 3½", some at 2", others at 1¼". 

Double and triple 4-patch blocks in red and brown

The third challenge has been taking photographs that show true-to-life colors of the reds and browns.  The photos lean toward the washed out side or toward the zing-of-red side.  In life, the colors are somewhere between the colors in the photos in this post.  (How I wish for a place with perfect lighting to hang a quilt for photographing it.)


Double and triple 4-patch blocks in red and brown

All along I imagined using a piece of brushed cotton, brown with narrows strips of muted red and tan, for the back.  As I was sewing the last rows together I had what I thought was a brilliant idea for the back:  a large scale print with a brown background and red flowers.  What fun to turn this basically brown quilt over to see a bright pattern on the back.  I scouted around for fabrics that might work but none stood out to me as just right.  And then I realized that, after all, this is a scrap quilt and I should go with the fabric I have on hand.  (I know I could piece a back but there are already too many seams on the front to easily hand quilt and I don't want to add more seams than necessary to the back.)  I hope to cut, wash, and dry the brushed cotton today or tomorrow.  Depending on how it weathers the wash, I'll use it -- or scout for other backing fabric.

I neglected to say how pleased I am with this layout.  I love the tiny red diagonals enclosing the larger double-4-patch circles/squares.  Early on those tiny, red squares running diagonally across the quilt reminded me of strings of rubies, hence the name, Little Rubies.  I love how the reds of the rubies transition along the strands, going from bright to medium, from dark to printed dark, etc.

I'm linking this post to One Monthly Goal February Finish Link-up at Elm Street Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Patty.

I'm also linking to
> Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday (TGIFF) at What a Hoot Quilts
> Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts
> Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Thank you for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.

22 comments:

  1. It turned out so lovely. You have been very diligent in keeping to your plan and it was well worth it. The most important part is that you are pleased and really, that's all that matters. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I'm glad to have it to top stage. I layered and basted it today and will begin quilting today or tomorrow. I'm not quite happy with the blockiness of the browns. As I was mulling it over the other day I realized that I could have blended the browns if I'd been willing to cut them into 2" squares and mixed them up, but I wasn't. The thing I most like are the diagonals and circles. It's all a learning process, though. On some other quilt I'll remember something about this quilt that will make the newer one better -- at least that's my hope!

      Delete
  2. This looks awesome! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job sticking with it, Nancy! It is a lovely top. I think the chain blocks are a wonderful addition. It all works for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. I think the tiny chains are my favorite part of the quilt, and next favorite, the larger "circles." The browns still look choppy and blocky to me and could have been improved, I realized after it was finished, if I'd cut the browns into 2" squares and mixed them for a blended look. But, it's done and I'm not changing it!

      Delete
  4. What a cozy looking quilt this turned out to be! Just the perfect balance of dark and moody browns with a lovely bright POP! of red. Off to see if I can find out what pattern(s) you used...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyful. I think the quilting will help it immensely, but I do love those red diagonals and the circles. No pattern, at least that I know of. I just played. The tiny 4-patch blocks are cut at 1¼", the medium 4-patches are cut at 2", and the largest brown squares are cut at 3½". Easy but oh so time consuming!

      Delete
  5. Your perseverance has paid off with a glorious quilt top. I love the combination of all the browns with the red. I hear you on the photo issue, mine are never a true representation of what the quilt actually looks like. Seems there's always one rogue color that the camera just can't "see" and trying to color edit just messes with the colors that were true in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. You are so generous with your praise. I keep trying with the photographs and hoping that one day I'll make progress and get them right most of the time!

      Delete
  6. Great quilt! Congratulations on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it looks to me like it was worth all the struggles. It is lovely! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. There are some aspects of the quilt I love, others not so much, but I've learned a lot by making it.

      Delete
  8. What a fantastic quilt!! I really, really love the red popping out from the brown. You've taken a combo I wouldn't have thought of and shown me something I'd really love to make. Fantastic design you developed, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank your for your sweet and enthusiastic comments, Lynette. Like you, others have said they wouldn't think of putting red and brown together. And, like you, I think the two colors work pretty well together in this quilt.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful! So many little pieces! I love the browns and reds together. Congratulations on a finished top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca. Yes, too many little pieces. I hope never to make such a large quilt with such tiny pieces again!

      Delete
  10. This is a stunning scrappy quilt! Controlled scrappy is still scrappy! It reminds me of chocolate covered cherries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kevin! Well, yes, chocolate covered cherries. Or rubies on velvet....

      Delete
  11. It's absolutely beautiful, Nancy! Your combination of red and brown made for a very rich quilt top and those reds really shine against your pretty brown scraps. This'll be a fun one to quilt. One of the things I love about hand quilting scrap quilts is that it slows everything down to where you can really savor the individual scraps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comment, Karin. I'm hoping to take a photo that looks more true to life than any that I've posted so far. The reds and browns look rich together, the browns almost velvety. Maybe when our days aren't so grey -- or when I finish quilting it. It's been fun to quilt but it will take me a few weeks to get my fingers back into quilting shape since I haven't quilted for many, many months. When that happens I'll make good progress, I think.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...