Friday, June 28, 2019

Sweet Land of Liberty, June

I didn't make much progress on the June blocks for Sweet Land of Liberty because I was trying to finish the May parts!  This is what I did this month. 

Four Economy blocks and a dozen flying geese.  I can't keep straight which I've claimed for previous months and which I haven't.  Either way, I'm ahead of what we should have at this point in the sew-along. 
Sweet Land of Liberty Cheri Payne
See that Economy block on the left in the center row?  I love it!  The plaid was a shirt a month ago.  It was a great shirt but it will be even greater in quilts.

These are the blocks for June and the fabrics will probably become Lady Liberty, a pineapple, and the Sawtooth Star, though I may change my mind.
Sweet Land of Liberty Cheri Payne


The Lady Liberty pattern is different that the one Cheri used.  I saw Robin's Liberty and fell in love with it.  Mine won't be as delightful as hers since I don't have her pattern but I hope it will fit with the primitive style of the rest of the quilt. 
Sweet Land of Liberty Cheri Payne
I decided to enlarge the quilt a bit so the background of this block is an inch wider and taller than in Cheri's pattern.  I had to do that because of the changes I made in the first row and top and side borders (which I'll describe below when I get to that photo.)

Pineapple fabrics--probably.  They look a little brighter in the photo than in real life.  I only have a few gold fabrics so I'll use what I have.

These are the probable fabrics for the Sawtooth Star.  I'll choose just one of the solid tans--or maybe I'll choose a lighter fabric.  And I expect I'll use a pen rather than embroider the center block.

I spent most of my time this month putting together the top row and borders from last month.  Preparing and appliqueing the vines, berries, and letters was slow going.

Sweet Land of Liberty Cheri Payne I want this quilt to be wider than the original so I added a border on the left between the body of the quilt and the flying geese and I widened the border on the right where "America" is appliqued.  I think I've increased the total width by 3", which means I'll have to adjust everything below it.  It will be a challenge but I think this is probably the best quilt to try this on since it already has so many improv-style adjustments.  (I'll tell you how crazy I am in a few months when it all works--or doesn't.  Or, if you visit here often, you may read about it as I work on the quilt.)

These are close-up photos, taken across the top row in overlapping sections.  I think I'm supposed to do something else with the star on the basket.  I'll have to take a look.
Sweet Land of Liberty Cheri Payne

The angel block in the center still needs to have three flying geese appliqued diagonally cross the upper right.
Sweet Land of Liberty Cheri Payne

The eagle with the star still needs some stitching or applique.  Not sure which.  I may choose to make the quilting do double-duty to replace any embroidery on the large eagle.
Sweet Land of Liberty Cheri Payne

I'm so grateful that Lori is holding this sew-along again with Cheri Payne's Facebook Friendship group.  Slow as I am, I need the extra time to finish each section.  It's been fun.  Thank you, Lori.


I hope all is well with you and in your part of the world.

--Nancy.
.

17 comments:

  1. Really nice progress on what will be such a cool quilt! Lori always does great sew alongs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia. I hope there's some unity in this quilt when it's finished. Making it over such a long period of time, not having a place to see all the parts at the same time, and using so many different fabrics -- we'll see.

      Lori does do great sew-alongs!

      Delete
  2. I started this quilt but had to drop it as other things took over. Your progress is so beautiful that I am hoping I will be able to get back to it this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shasta. Sometimes life just gets busy and we have to put things on hold. I hope you can get back to it, too.

      Delete
  3. I really like the fabrics and colors you are using. I can see you are having lots of fun with this project--love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. I'm having fun and also feeling challenged by this quilt. It's not your simple cut and stitch fabric into blocks kind of quilt. But fun for sure!

      Delete
  4. Oh, Nancy - this quilt is just coming together so sweetly! I love your attention to detail and your fabric selections and design choices are such fun. Thank you for sharing your thought process as you create each block - I enjoy reading about how you make each decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karin. I sometimes wonder about the fabric choices. I'm hoping the primitive aspect of the quilt will make any mistakes disappear or at least not be very noticeable.

      Delete
  5. This is going to be a beauty, Nancy! I like your plan for Lady Liberty.
    Your fabrics make this so cozy looking and appealing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank your for your confidence in the future finish of this quilt, Janet. I wish I had the same confidence!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the shout-out on Lady Liberty. I like your arms a lot better than the ones I did. I bet you feel so relieved to have all that lettering done. I sure felt relief and then I noticed more word on the lower part of the quilt. I think that's one reason I did "peace" instead of "victory". . . less letters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome for the shout-out, Robin. You may like my Liberty's arms better but I believe your Liberty looks perfectly primitive (whereas mine looks somewhat contrived). In the whole scheme of things, I hope she doesn't attract too much attention to herself or detract from the whole quilt.

      Yes, I was pleased to finish with the lettering. I felt like I'd really accomplished something! Haha. I probably have more letters to do lower down but I've already finished some the first time around. Well, peace worked great instead of victory!

      Delete
  7. You got so much done! Your version looks great. As for wodening, it sounds like a great plan---if it was me, I d forget to add below and then I d go crazy,lol.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lizzy. Yes, the widening and lengthening could cause me a lot of problems as I go along. I hope I don't forget. As it is, this kind of improve, with someone else's pattern can be a challenge (for me) to begin with! I hope all aspects of the quilt work together in the end.

      Delete
  8. I like be your angel and your pineapple fabrics are perfect! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karrin. I'm making slow progress on these but I hope I can have them finished in the next week or two.

      Delete
  9. Your border piece looks wonderful, and I like it a little wider, too. I'm trying not to think of this one since I'm just getting ready to start the one before it! =)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...