Saturday, June 29, 2019

Cheddarback Blocks for June, 2019

Cheddarback Blocks 16-20

I continue to be challenged by some of the Cheddarback blocks.  If it's not finding/choosing fabric, then it's the block pattern or maybe getting the size right.  The first few blocks of the year were a tad too large, perhaps a quarter inch.  But several of the blocks were a tad too small by an eighth inch.  I think only a few have been the correct size when I've finished them.  It makes me wonder what my problem is since I've been sewing the same width seam on all the blocks.  I have plenty of blocks to go to get it figured out!  Any why not enjoy the challenge, eh?  It's all a learning process.

You can see this month's original blocks at Sentimental Stitches.

The blocks in this post are in the order I made them.  I began with what I thought would be the hardest block (but I was wrong).  The first four will finish at 5", the last is a 12" block.
Block 18
Cheddarback Block 18
The Y-seam seam in a previous block challenged me no end.  I wasn't willing to take the easy way and give up on learning the skill of sewing them and I thought this block would be the hardest of the five this month.  The seams turned out okay, with the assistance of a good press.  It's not perfect but I'm not going to remake it.

Block 19
Cheddarback Block 19
This is the block I thought would be slightly less challenging than Block 18.  I was oh so wrong.  I cut the outer edges of the pieces 1/4" wider than necessary thinking that it would give me some wiggle room if the block was a little too small.  Size wasn't half the problem.  I couldn't manage to get the points to meet in the center, even after unstitching and restitching three times.  The only blocks I've sewn where 8 points meet are pinwheel blocks which the points are all the same size.  Unlike those, in this block the triangles are uneven and it was impossible (for me) to get them aligned.
Cheddarback Block 19
On the Facebook group Gay has suggested that it's our quilt and we can make it however we want.  Well, I really want a block like the original but my skills just aren't there yet.  Above is how I chose to finish Block 19.  I'm still deciding whether to cut out the fabric behind the circle.  (I'll probably give this block another try.  The double pink fabric was generously given to me by Lizzy from Gone to the Beach.  (Thank you, Lizzy.)  I didn't want to waste any more of it in another failure, so I'll use junk fabric the next time I try to make this block.)

Block 20
Cheddarback Block 20
I decided to applique the black squares on this block because I didn't want to interrupt the pattern of the red fabric.  The edges of the black squares are not all exactly straight.  I changed those squares once because I hadn't left enough space for a quarter-inch seam without cutting off the points.  The second time there's a quarter inch around the edges that will leave the points but I ended up with those less-than-straight lines.  This is one of the blocks that had wavy red and white striped fabric in the original quilt.  If I find fabric that's closer to the original I may end up remaking the block.

Block 17
Cheddarback Block 17
This was an easy block except for the upper right triangle with two fabrics in it.  I wanted to do what Cheddarback's maker had done but, unfortunately, I think I got the size of those two strips wrong.  I may recut and replace that triangle.

Block 16
Cheddarback Block 16
The original block has fabric that looks greyer -- a white background with grey/black spriggy leaves along grey/black lines.  This was the closest fabric I have.  Also, in the original, the lines are all placed in the same direction in the block, which created bias edges along the outside triangles.  I have so many other challenges with this quilt that I decided to follow Gay's directions instead of trying to recreate the original arrangement.  This is a pretty bland block but it did turn out to be the simplest of the five this month.

I've noticed in the original quilt that some fabrics are used in several different blocks.  So far I've been able to do that, too.  I hope I can keep it up through all the blocks.

Many thanks to Gay Bomers of Sentimental Stitches for making these patterns available so we can recreate this quilt.  It's been fun.

Finishing these blocks was my One Monthly Goal for June.  Goal accomplished!  I'm linking this post to One Monthly Goal - June Finish Link-up at Elm Street Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Patty.

I'm also linking this post to BOMs Away at What a Hoot Quilts.  Thanks, Lynette.

--Nancy.
.

14 comments:

  1. This quilt is a challenge for me but I like it well enough to continue and try and get things right. I hope there aren't too many more challenging blocks to work with. One thing I've discovered is that I don't have very much black reproduction fabrics. I wonder why? I sure have a lot of brown. Your blocks look great to me, the center pink dot is nice addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. Yes, sometimes the challenge is worth it, especially if you (or any of us) like the anticipated result and, for me, if I learn something as I go along. I have a feeling that every set of five blocks will have at least one or two that are challenging -- but I know they might not be challenging for others. It's my lack of experience with some kinds of seams that makes them hard.

      I don't notice that you use black fabrics very often, which may account for why you don't have them. Or vice versa, perhaps you don't use them because you don't have many. I don't have much black either but some recent quilt(s) made me realize how they can enhance a quilt. I don't have much reproduction fabric in any color but I definitely have several more browns than I have blacks.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful blocks. I admire your efforts to capture the design of the originals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy. I don't suppose I'll be able to keep up with the original designs for very long. Miss Cheddarback and I just don't have very many similar fabrics in our collections. I guess I'll just keep making do.

      Delete
  3. Great to see your June blocks for the Chedderback BOM...(I am in the Facebook group too) and happy to discover your blog. Gay sure does a terrific job with her BOM projects. Love your solution to that rascally #19 block...what a challenge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. I'm amazed that Gay can recreate the patterns for these blocks. Some are just so challenging to make that I'm sure they are equally challenging to be turned into patterns. That little circle -- I wish I didn't have to use it but it is the best I can do right now. Block 19 was definitely a challenging block!

      Delete
  4. Challenging blocks but learning a lot. I like your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia. A few of the blocks have been easy but the ones that are challenging really are challenging!

      Delete
  5. Lovely blocks. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blocks and the chatter about each. It reminded me of when I was making the Farmer's Wife sampler and how almost every block had a little challenge in it for the likes of me and my skills. I think I would do much better with it all today actually. It's good to be learning though and figuring out what you like and what to let go as well. Thanks Nancy for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jocelyn. I was thinking that these blocks are probably not challenging at all to some of the people who are making them. It all depends on our previous experience!

      Delete
  7. Wow--sounds like every block presents its challenges. You have convinced me that I made the right choice not to sew along. With other pressures in life right now, this would have driven me crazy.
    But for all your dissatisfaction with various things in your blocks, from here they look great. Nice save on #19!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. I think perhaps the blocks are hard to me because so many of them are new challenges -- types of seams or arrangements I haven't tried. They would probably be easy for you!

      Truly, I'm not dissatisfied with the blocks, I just see what they lack because I'm so close to them and have examined the originals so closely. I think this will be a great quilt.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...