Thursday, June 27, 2019

Seeking the Perfect Red and White Fabric

This wavy, narrow, red and white striped fabric is in two Cheddarback blocks--so far.  (See photos here and here.)  When I first saw it I didn't realize that the stripes really were wavy.  I thought it might be an optical illusion, or that the quilter cut the fabric a little off, that maybe the quilting caused the fabric to be pulled slightly askew. 


So I set out to find a fabric with narrow, red and white stripes.  I was thrilled when I found the fabric below.  It looked just about perfect to me.


But after I made the block I realized that it doesn't have the depth of color that the original has.  I decided that the stripes weren't of even width and realized the red stripes were really rose.  My finished block looks like this.  Much too pink and pale.


I've had my eye out for other red and white fabrics that I thought might work.  I found this in a quilt I made a few years ago.  Even though it's not striped, I though it might work because the balance of red and white looks similar to the original fabric.  Sadly, I don't have any more of it.


Then I rummaged through my fabrics and found this gingham check.  It's from a shirt and is just a little heavier than the usual quilting fabric--which is not a problem to me if the color works.


This is what the block looks like.  The fabric's not striped but maybe the richness of the red and the balance of red and white are close enough to look similar to the original Cheddarback block, here--scroll down to see Block 20. 


I know I'm going to have to settle for some red and white fabric that's close to the  original Cheddarback fabric.  This may be the one I'll have to use, but I'll continue to keep my eyes peeled for other possible red and white fabrics for a few weeks.  I'll need to choose one pretty soon, though, because I don't want to remake too many blocks!

The other fabric I hope to find is a light blue/grey sprig fabric.  Cheddarback uses it in the sashings on the sides and top.  When I find a print I like I can begin sewing the blocks and sashing together. 

I'll post all of this month's blocks in a day or two.  I love this quilt-along and the challenges it presents.

--Nancy.
.

6 comments:

  1. Spoonflower? I d split the cost if you're interested. I saw a blue sprig, look and color are good maybe. I kl email it to you latter, the link.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not a good blue sprig, whatever was I thinking.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the offer, Lizzy. Too bad it wasn't a good blue. I ordered a yard from Connecting Threads that I hope will work. From a distance it looks blue/grey but up close you can see mostly blue with just a little green.

      Delete
  2. I like the depth of the red in the check fabric. I'm trying to only use each fabric once except for the sashing and cornerstones. I really don't think I have enough different reds to do that but it will be fun to try. That block turned out really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. The depth of the red in the check fabric caught my eye, too. It has enough red to make it look red instead of pink.
      It will be fun to see how many reds you have and how they work in your blocks. There's such a variety of ways people are making these blocks -- some trying to replicate the fabrics and colors in the original, some choosing a narrow palette of only several colors, some many different fabrics.

      Delete
  3. I like the block with the stripe, but I agree it may not do what you want. I wonder what would happen if the stripes didn't all go the same way. I do like the second one with the gingham, too. Reproduction shirtings might have a surprise perfect fabric for this, too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...