Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Liberty's Shadow and the Fabric Search

I finished Lady Liberty for my Sweet Land of Liberty quilt last week.  When I cut away the fabric behind her I thought it looked like a shadow of herself. 
A number of years ago I'd gained too much weight before and after hip replacements (because even if you can't move you're still hungry) and after I lost many pounds, a friend who hadn't seen me for a while commented, "You look like a shadow of yourself."  I thought it was one of the best compliments I'd ever received. 

About my fabric shopping.  I needed/wanted a pale blue sprig fabric for some of the sashing on Cheddarback.  A few months ago I looked at the two nearly-local quilt shops but didn't see anything I thought would work.  Online at Connecting Threads I saw what I thought would be the perfect fabric.  I really must stop shopping online or, at the very least, lower my expectations.
The fabric on the left looked more blue in the online photo and the pale yellow background wasn't obvious.  It won't work for Cheddarback.  I ordered pieces of the other three because I thought they would work for some other future quilts.  I love the grey on the right.  The other two are okay but not fabulous.  You just can't tell about fabric from an online photo.  Sigh.

Still searching for a light blue sprig fabric, I went (again) to the nearest local quilt shop on the northwest side.  I did not find a blue sprig fabric but, instead, bought one of their scrap bags with lots of small pieces of reproduction fabrics (which I didn't photograph) and these.  I don't know what it is about copper that makes me like it so.  The double-pinkish on the right may be useful in Cheddarback.  But I didn't find a blue spring fabric.

On to the next most local quilt shop (again) on the southeast side.  And I found it, there on the left, below, about as perfect as possible.  Of course, I couldn't leave with only a half yard of fabric after the drive to get there.
I rarely buy purple fabrics so I'm on the look-out for them for Cheddarback.  The first shop had no reproduction purples.  I bought the only two I found, above.  I don't love either of them but I don't suppose you can love every single fabric in a quilt or your heart wouldn't know where to turn.  I like the army green fabric quite a lot and I love the red.

I had an interesting experience at the last shop, which sells mostly reproduction and primitive fabrics.  It's not a very large shop and it's not often very busy.  The table with fat quarters is diagonally across from the cash register.  I usually head there first so I don't have to ask the owner to cut into yardage for me.  The table is often in disarray with quarters tossed on top, some partially unfolded or partially nestled in with the rest, and others stuffed in at any angle.  It's usually hard to see what's there.  Without even thinking I neaten it as I look through the fabrics, piling them in my hand, then fitting them neatly amongst the rest. 

Two visits ago the owner noticed and thanked me for straightening her table.  I was so thankful she didn't mind!  The last time I was there, she didn't charge me for all the fabric I bought.  I realized when I got home what she'd done so I emailed her but received no response. 

This time she approached me and asked if I'd like a job.  (This is the fourth time in my life people have asked if I'd like to work for them!)  She is interested in having me neaten her shop and offered to pay me in fabric.  It's a bit of a drive so I didn't jump at the offer.  We didn't discuss how often, how long, or how much fabric and I told her I'd let her know.  Anyway, she told me she wasn't charging me for the three fat quarters I had on my stack that day.  So kind of her.

Do I need any encouragement to obtain more fabric?!  On the other hand, how often do I want to drive 35 miles round trip?  There are a few considerations before I'll make a decision.

I'm grateful that my search for blue sprig fabric has ended!

More about what I've been working on soon.

--Nancy.
.

18 comments:

  1. That was a wonderful offer from that shop owner! Only 35 miles round trip! Around here it's a 50 mile round trip to a decent supermarket, something I try to do at least every week or two since prices on most items are about half what the local stores charge. No quilt shops nearby either. Anyway, I'm happy you found what you needed for your quilt. Our quilting ministry members have had the same experience with buying fabric online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 50 miles is a l-o-n-g trip for groceries and fabric. A few years ago I fussed when our favorite store, 3 miles away, closed and reopened 6 miles away. I have nothing to complain about!

      I haven't heard back from the shop owner. Maybe it was an idea she voiced without thinking it through.

      Delete
  2. I've been skunked a few times by ordering fabric online too. Now I try to only order something that I have already seen elsewhere and need more of, or stick with designers who's fabrics I am familiar with. How fun to get your fabric free on that shopping trip. I think you should take the job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your experiences with online fabric purchases, Karen. I like your "criteria" for ordering online and I think it's something I should follow.

      Delete
  3. Really good fabric finds! I love that red seaweed and the butterscotch/ copper group.

    So fun about the job! I think I would drive 35 miles round trip for fabric once a week. And it would be fun to be in a shop with other quilters for an hour or two?

    I liked the ''blue'' sprig for CB too---I pictured it cream, not yellow. Would a wash and a light tea dye help? Or overdye in light blue?] You will laugh when you see what I chose, even tho I actually have a couple yards of a not-wonderful Lancaster blue in my stash.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I emailed the quilt shop owner but haven't heard back from her. I'm thinking it might have been a spur-of-the-moment idea and she's reconsidered.

      I'm looking forward to seeing your fabric choices for Cheddarback, Lizzy!

      Delete
  4. I usually only order online if it is a terrific bargain, or if I am ordering a fabric I have seen in real life, so I know what I am getting.
    My favorite "almost local" quilt shop is a 60 mile round trip and I know a few people that live farther than I do that work there once or twice a week. Not to say you "should" take the job, just saying that to me it depends on whether it appeals to you enough to want to make the trip. Around here a 35 mile round trip isn't too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janet. I need to remind myself not to fall for fabric I see online unless I love the company that makes it or have seen it in person.

      Several quilters have commented that 35 miles is not such a great distance where they live. I haven't heard back from the shop owner and don't know what's up.

      Delete
  5. Interesting story. The fat quarters at my local shop are always neat but the fat 1/8's are jst tossed in a circular bin. I rarely look beyond the top layer as the bins are full and I start dumping the pieces on the floor. A little job to consider and payment in fabric sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting that the fat 1/8's a tossed in a bin, Karen. I should think they would create a jumble of threads after not too long and become wrinkled. I like new fabric to look new and fresh. I probably wouldn't look through the bin, either, unless they were a really good price.

      Delete
  6. Another great post, Nancy. Yes, the choosing of the fabric and somehow we always have an idea of what we want and want that perfect one.
    I love that the store owner recognized your kindness/tidying nature and had the good sense to realize she needed that kind of person at her store. But it raises an interesting question...I wonder would I work the occasional day or two for free fabric...hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jocelyn. Sometimes my approach to fabric is "I'll know it when I see it." Other times I know exactly what I hope to find (and seldom do). Often, I buy what I like from the offerings, but it's hardest when I'm looking for something in particular.

      It was very kind of her to not charge me for the fat quarters. I haven't heard from her about the job, though.

      Delete
  7. So happy you found some blue sprig fabric to work with. Sorry your online purchases were less than you expected. It's hard to tell exactly what something is going to look like online but it is so tempting to place an order and not have to go in the car across town. My favorite quilt shop is 8 miles away so 16 round trip and I sometimes hesitate to go there because of the distance and traffic. There is a closer store but they never have anything I want so I've stopped going there. I can see why you aren't jumping at the chance to drive 35 miles round trip on a regular basis. I am intrigued by you Lady Liberty shadow. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Robin --
      Yes, I was thrilled to see the blue sprig. I saw online that the company also makes one with a white background which is even closer to the fabric in Cheddarback, but I'm going to stick with the one I bought. It's just too hard to tell about fabric from online photographs.;

      You are one of the few who commented about the distance being far. It seems that so many of those who left comments thought 35 miles was a short distance! I haven't heard back from her so maybe it was just a spur-of-the-moment idea that she's decided against.

      You may laugh when you see my Lady Liberty and understand the "shadow of herself" story better. I'll be posting her soon.

      Delete
  8. In the US, I've always been lucky to live relatively close to a quilt shop, and I'd so much rather buy fabric in person than online. But even in person, I've ended up with large pieces I don't end up using. Our stashes get out of control that way, ha ha. Here in Tokyo it's quite a trek to get to a fabric store or the fabric district... but worth it;). Let us know what you decide to do about the job offer. I think that would be really neat, some straightening work in exchange for fabric, but lots of factors to consider!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cynthia --
      Before I began quilting there was a quilt shop in our nearest town about 3 miles away. I was making applique blocks for an Airedale rescue quilt but not really quilting. I used to go in and look for what I needed and admire the fabrics, but purchased only for the block I was working on at the time. How I wish the shop were still there! On the other hand, having shops at a distance probably means I purchase less, though I know my husband already thinks I have too much fabric!

      Others have commented that 35 miles doesn't seem so far. It all depends on where one lives. And you, there in Tokyo, having to trek to the fabric district! You probably have to walk or go by bus or other public transportation? Is it an all day trip when you go?

      Delete
  9. That is so funny, but it does sound like the perfect job! If you don't take the job you could always come work for me in Maine! I have lots of straightening to do! Seriously, it does sound like fun. And Nancy, I would be happy to share some reproduction purples with you. There aren't many out there so I buy them whenever I can. Just send me your address - gwreed15@comcast.net - and I will get some out to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maine sounds like a great place to be about now, Wendy, assuming your weather is not quite as hot and humid as it is here in Ohio. I think it would be hard to neaten another person's fabric -- we all have our own ideas about organization and arrangement. Easier in a shop, I think.

      Again, you are so kind and generous to offer me fabric. I'm hoping we don't need much more purple for this quilt. It is one of my least favorite colors. Thank you for the offer but I just can't take you up on it.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...