Saturday, October 5, 2019

Considering Quarter Cabin Options

I love this statement I read about improv quilting on one of Cheryl Arkison's recent blog posts.  She said,
Part of improvisation is the ability to accept that you are starting without knowing where you will end up.

I don't think of myself as an improv quilter but I've definitely got that aspect of the process covered.  So often I have a block, or a feeling, or scraps in mind and begin without a specific plan.  I make a bunch of blocks, see how they look together, and go from there.

This is just what I'm doing with these little 4" (finished) quarter cabin blocks that I started on a whim over two years ago.  I had lots of random strings in too many colors.  So I pinned, sewed, and trimmed until I had 100+ little blocks.  And still no idea what I would do with them.


And then I thought of a string quilt with a green background because I'd just found green cotton for $1.00/yard.  So I cut side-setting triangles of green and sewed them to the sides of the quarter cabins.  I have yet to sew these into strips, which is why they look off kilter in the photo below.


My first idea with the strips was something like this, except with leaves of the colors and fabrics I used in the blocks.  And just recently I thought maybe I should include some red flowers.  I have no idea where this is going.


The leaves in the photo above are only about 2-3" long and half as wide.  As I look at this photo I wonder if the strips will be so balanced/comparable in size and interest that they will cancel each other and become boring.  I wonder if the vines/leaves need to be stronger or more dominant, with larger leaves and flowers and wider stems.  (Since I've already sewn the triangles to the cabin blocks there's no way they're going to be bigger.) 

The width of the cabin strips will finish at 6½".  I have six strips which will finish at about 84" long.  

Considerations and questions I need to answer:
  • I'm wondering whether I need to be careful about the color placement of the cabins.  I wonder about this because as I look at the photo below, my eye goes to sections where there are several lights together.
  • Width of this quilt, or maybe all dimensions.  Single bed?  Queen bed? 
  • I need to determine the width of the vines/leaves/flowers strips.  Part of the consideration of this is dominance of these strips, but also the final width of the quilt.  I don't need to use all the cabin strips but if I use 6, their combined width will be 36".  Five more strips at, let's say, 10" will increase the width to 86".  Or would it be better to use 5 cabin strips and 6 vine strips, which would equal 90".  Or 4 cabin strips and 5 vine strips to equal 74".  Or . . . .   This quilt is not yet talking to me!
  • Vines in red, leaves in light green, flowers in reds?  Vines in red, leaves multi-colored but no red, flowers in red?  Few leaves, more flowers?  More leaves, occasional flowers?  Carefully placed flowers or randomly placed flowers?  All the same kind/style of flowers, a variety of flowers?
  • Or, instead of vines and flowers, sew strings together, cut them all 3" or 4" or 5" wide, and use them between the cabin strips?
  • There are so many options!  My mind keeps going.

My next step is pinning then sewing the cabins into strips.  Maybe by the time that's done this quilt will have an opinion about itself and I'll have a good idea what to do next.  Even if not, it will be easier to move strips around than it is to move the individual blocks around.

So often I find myself in this situation.  I was going to say "in this mess" but it isn't really a mess, just a part of the process when I don't have a finished quilt in mind.  It's both fun and challenging.

Do you ever find yourself in situations like this?  If so, what do you do?

I'm linking this post to Humble Quilts Stringalong Month 9 at Humble Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Lori, and for the incentive it provides.

--Nancy.
.

18 comments:

  1. So many questions, so few answers at this point - I guess that's improv quilting! Have you thought about appliqued strips using a different base color or even alternate strips of a stripe fabric of some sort. I liked the look in the photo with the log cabin strips with the golden floor showing between each strip. I guess the question I'm asking is what do you want the eye to see as it looks at the quilt as a whole: the green solid, the cabin blocks, or the applique? Once that answer becomes clear the rest will fall into place. So fun watching the process with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your observations and questions about this quilt-in-progress, Pat.  I don't think I have a clear idea yet of how this quilt will look.  I need to finish sewing the cabins together and then play a little.  I'll try the the green alternate strips with red vines, flowers, and colored leaves and see what I think, then move on from there.  So often in the past I've had what I thought was a clear vision of how a quilt would look and then realize that it didn't look anything like I thought it would.  I don't have a deadline for this quilt so there's some time to play.  I hope to finish sewing the cabin strips together this week or next.  I appreciate your questions to help me think about possibilities.  Thank you.

      Delete
  2. I love to read about how you think things through so thoroughly. I am afraid that I just plow ahead. But, then, I rarely design anything on my own, but rather stick to someone else’s pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jennie.  You make me laugh.  I often wish I could just move full steam ahead but the times that I've tried it I've failed miserably.  And I wish I could follow someone else's pattern, too!  Even with a pattern I find I edit, alter, change a few things about it, most always creating more work for myself.  I'm hoping this quilt will become presentable by the time it's finished.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with determining the "appropriate" route to take with this quilt. I thought you had already done that when you started the leafy vine sections. Regarding the color balance, random rocks! I wouldn't be too concerned about it, as the quilt is looking good as shown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Joy.  My problem is that I play with a layout and even if it looks great, I second guess myself and then try another layout.  My first, current (almost finished) step is sewing the cabins together and then I'll play with size of stems, leaves, and flowers.

      Delete
  4. This is my favorite part of quilt-making - the dithering!
    I think any of your ideas will work out fine, so whatever pleases YOU the most will the perfect answer. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the "dithering," too.  Part of me wishes I dithered a little more quickly, though. 

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. So glad to hear it, Lizzy.  Another reader called it dithering and said it was one of her favorite parts of making a quilt.  I'm looking forward to the applique part of this quilt.  Some handwork to do all winter, I suppose.

      Delete
  6. It's going to be beautiful! The vines really complete it! cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claire.  In my mind the quilts are always wonderful but I can't always translate what I think I see in my mind to what my hand make in a quilt.  I hope it will be beautiful!

      Delete
  7. I find I have to give the decision-making process time - it's a bit frustrating when I just want to make some progress but often my best solutions come when I'm away from my sewing room (often lying awake in the middle of the night!). Applique would NEVER be an option for me but I love the way your vines and leaves make the little blocks look like flowers (at least they do to me!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too, Allison. If I rush I often end up with a quilt I don't really like. If I could follow a pattern exactly it would not require decision-making, but then it wouldn't quite be "my" quilt in the same way as if I make all the decisions. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and comments.

      Delete
  8. I too really like the blocks laid out with the floor showing between rows. I wonder if you could find a color you liked with this and applique the vines and leaves on it, giving a little more contrast to the rows, but with the blocks and leafy vines still being the focus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janet.  This option is not one I'd thought of until Pat mentioned it.  After the cabins are finally stitched together I can begin to play in a different way, trying out alternate colors for the columns instead of green.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas.

      Delete
  9. I love the "not knowing" where something is going to go... and all the little decisions along the way. I sometimes say... when I'm not quilting, I'm thinking about quilting! Meaning, I'm pondering this or that decision or idea. You have a lot of good options. The vines and leaves are going to be so charming with the quarter cabins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you in loving the "not knowing," Cynthia.  It gives lots of opportunities for consideration and creativity (even if my choices sometimes don't look as good as I thought they would).  I, too, often have quilting decisions on my mind as I go about other activities that don't require much attention.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...