Monday, November 25, 2019

It's Beginning to Look Like a Quilt Top

I really enjoy making these Cheddarback blocks.  This month there was a large one and four small blocks:  two letters and two pieced blocks (not in the original quilt) -- or we could change it however we wanted.  I made the large block, one letter, and three small pieced blocks of my own choosing.  Here they are. 

Block 37
I really like this block pattern.  I wish, though, that I'd had a better brown/grey, one that was just a tad darker.  The colors aren't quite accurate in this photo, but I think the block looks okay in the quilt.

Letter Block, Substitute for another letter block, and Blocks 37 and 38
The M....  I drew it out on graph paper then cut all the pieces 1/4" wider in every direction.  I stitched the V part of the M and thought I was doing great.  In the original block the V goes all the way to the bottom of the M and that's what I intended.  When I realized it wasn't going to happen I was just grateful that it went at least part-way down to the bottom so it looks like an M.  Drafting letters is not as easy as I thought.

Choosing patterns for the other blocks was the challenge.  I think so many of the little blocks in Cheddarback are quirky in one or more ways:  unusual patterns; common patterns with unusual fabrics; difficult to piece; etc.  I wanted to follow the lead created by the other blocks but came up short of 5" patterns.  And short on time, too, to make, or try out, complicated blocks.  In the end I made the three above.  All in all, I don't suppose they'll stand out considering that there will be 54 little blocks in the finished quilt.

My One Monthly Goal for November was to make the blocks above and sew blocks and sashing together as much as possible except for the two blue Blocks 26 and 35 (the blue ones in rows 4 (right) and row 6 (left)).  Rows 1-3 are completely sewn together, both horizontally and vertically.  Rows 4 and 6 are sewn together vertically except for the blue blocks.  And Row 5 is sewn together vertically.  I don't want to sew partial rows so this is together as much as it can be until I decide what to do about 26 and 35.  With so many blocks sewn together it's beginning to look like a quilt top!


You can barely see that I decided to use the pink-striped fabric for the outer sashing.  Though pale, I like it.  In fact, I like this quilt a lot, quirks and all.  When I finally looked at all the blocks together I thought, Oh, it looks like winter!  And then I decided it's a perfect summer quilt to bring to mind the coolness of winter.

So that's my One Monthly Goal finished for November, and just under the wire, too.  These next two days I'll be preparing for a visit from my daughters, son-in-law, and grandchildren who will arrive on Wednesday.  From then until Saturday or Sunday I'll be immersed in food, cooking, fun & games, and being extra thankful.

I'm linking this post to
> One Monthly Goal November Finish Link-up at Elm Street Quilts
> Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
> Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.
.

20 comments:

  1. it is a delightful selection of blocks and colors...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Grace.  This is my first time trying to reproduce an old quilt.  So I can only take credit for making these.  I'm just copying the ones the Cheddarback lady made.  She chose the blocks and layout. 

      Delete
  2. Lovely quilt blocks--that is quite a challenging array....very pretty...I think your "M" looks great...hugs for a Happy Holiday Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Julierose.  Some of the blocks are really challenging, some are simple and easy.

      Delete
  3. I think your blocks are great and they all look wonderful together--I wouldn't change a thing. Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen.  Those two big blue ones....  Sometimes I think they're fine, other times not.

      Delete
  4. Oh, it's wonderful!! I love the sashing - it's the perfect choice for showcasing your amazing blocks. That first block is pretty - I have found that brown -grays are fickle depending on what they are set against.
    Sending Thanksgiving blessings your way as you enjoy your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karin.  I agree about the browns/greys.  Sometimes they seem to take on a different hue -- toward pink, toward green, etc.  And for me, it's hard to see before the block is made. 

      Delete
  5. Your Cheddarback top looks so great all together. The pink sashing adds charm without being too dominant. Nice job. I like your original little blocks, so clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin.  The little blocks....  Maybe the two simplest ones are too simple for this quilt.  I find Cheddarback's blocks uncommon patterns.  Well, maybe half and half -- common and unusual.  But the little ones in this post will probably stay.

      Delete
  6. It is lovely, Nancy! I like this quilt a lot, too! :)
    The pink striped sashing is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet.  I haven't made very many quilts but I notice that there are some that I love and some that I'm satisfied to have made but aren't favorites.  And there are some that I'm happy to pass along as quickly as possible.  This quilt -- I don't know yet which category this will fall into.  I hope it's one I love.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on finishing your goal for November. It's looking so great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exceptional quilt, so authentic looking! The M ooks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy.  Some of the fabrics stray really far from what Mrs. Cheddarback used but, for the most part, the colors are close enough to help it replicate the original.  This is the first time I've tried to recreate an antique quilt.

      Delete
  9. Like the way this one is turning out.I am always in awe when you draft your own blocks. My drafting skills are VERY basic...lol. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennie.  I am in awe of people who can really draft blocks.  I'm looking forward to the time I get the patterns right more often than I get them wrong.  :-)  My drafting skills are really basic, too.  Graph paper with quarter-inch squares....

      Delete
  10. Quilt blocks look wonderful! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...