Wednesday, December 18, 2019

December Cheddarback Blocks 39-43

I have an early One Monthly Goal finish this month, finished a week ago!  Five more Cheddarback blocks (a sew-along offered by Gay Bomers at Sentimental Stitches).  With family coming into town for Christmas, I knew if I finished these blocks I could happily make Christmas preparations -- clean, decorate, shop, bake, etc.  (You see where my priorities lie, right?  Quilting before everything else?  Ha! (But not really.))

Block 39
Cheddarback Block 39
This is a 12" block.  I didn't have a striped blue print so I used fabric from a shirt.  I thought it was perfect, then thought it was a little strong, and now I think it's probably just fine.  I struggled with the purple mourning print because I don't have many purples.  This was as close as I could come.   The original block has two different brown fabrics, too. 

Block 40
Cheddarback Block 40
This is a 5" block.  I just love it!  The original pink was a gingham.  This was as close as I could come.  And the original was pieced; mine is appliqued.  You wouldn't believe how tiny those little triangles are!  But as I was making this I realized that if I hadn't had enough of the background fabric for a 5½" square, I may have had enough fabric if I'd pieced the block, which could have been the original maker's circumstance.  I stitched the inner sides of the hexagonal-like shapes to the center square, then turned under all the other sides except the outside edges.  I think it's imperfectly perfect.

Block 41
Cheddarback Block 41
Again, I didn't have fabrics quite like hers.  In a previous block I used a white polka dot on red fabric and finally found it but the pieces I had left were too small.  No way was I going to piece a polka dot fabric and try to match the circles.  This is a 5" block.

(Substitute) Block 42
Substitute for Cheddarback Block 42
In the original quilt, made in the late 1800s or early 1900s, there is a swastika.  I didn't want a swastika but I didn't want to use the sweet basket block Gay offered as an alternative.  I wanted a block that would hark to the original but without the negative associations.  I came up with this red cross.  This is a 5" block.

Block 43
Cheddarback Block 43
This was probably the easiest of the blocks to make.  The original block has the same pink gingham as Block 40 so I used the same fabric again in this block.  Consistency, you know.  The teal fabric in the original is just a tad lighter with a little white in it.  This is the closest I could come to it from the fabric I had available.  This is a 5" block.

My goal was just to get these five blocks made.  Perhaps in January I can get them sewn together with the rest of the quilt.

I'm linking this post to   the finish party at One Monthly Goal December Finish link-up at Elm Street Quilts.  Thank you for hosting, Patty.
> BOMs Away at What a Hoot Quilts
> Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
> Midweek Makers at Quilt Fabrication

Thanks for hosting, ladies.


--Nancy.
.

18 comments:

  1. All just lovely blocks--you are doing a great job on these! I especially like Block 39--I love crosses in quilts--hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose.  I tried to go with the creator's original colors but we didn't have a close-up of Block 39.  I think (and hope) it will work with the other blocks.  It may be a bit outside the original creator's style but so be it.

      Delete
  2. I REALLY like your red cross! I'd like to use that idea also as I substitute in a few blocks. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanne.  I wanted something similar to the swastika, with straight lines.  After I saw your substitute block I wondered why I didn't think of that!  Yours is perfect!

      Delete
  3. Your blocks look great Nancy! I like your red cross substitution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen.  I like it, too, and I hope I continue to like it when all the blocks are together!

      Delete
  4. I love reading your analysis of each block and seeing what you've done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lizzy. I often think I'm just too wordy, but that never stops me from one month to the next! Haha.

      Delete
  5. Your blocks look great. Your fabrics are spot on. I finally bought some black repro fabric. I'm glad I did because it made making these blocks much easier. I chose to do the replacement basket block but I cut it out backwards so I have a red background and a light basket. Good enough - I'm not doing it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin.  I'm glad the fabrics look right. 
      Yes, I think having a black fabric or two will help with this quilt, especially if one is trying to go with the original fabrics and colors.  I think your basket looks great with the color reversal.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on making your goal! Love your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on getting your blocks done! Thank you for sharing them on Wednesday Wait Loss. Have fun with your family over the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jennifer.  I hope you had a great Christmas and New Year, too!

      Delete
  8. Fun blocks. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...