Saturday, February 29, 2020

Doings This Month

I have been trying ever so hard not to begin anything new.  I always thought of myself as a finisher but it seems I've strayed from the direct line of starting to finishing and have begun meandering into more starts than finishes.  I'm trying to change that this year.

In addition to finishing the Cheddarback blocks for the month I also made five more blocks for my version of Cheri Payne's Everyday Patchwork

extra blocks of Everyday Patchwork

Her quilt has 25 blocks with a slightly wider border on top and bottom which makes it longer than it is wide.  Before I put the blocks away last year I decided I wanted a quilt 5 blocks x 6 blocks, even longer than hers.  When I looked at photos again recently I realized that I really would rather have a quilt that is 5 blocks x 7 blocks, so I made five more.  These blocks finish at 6" and they each get a 1½" border, which I still need to add to these blocks.

I also finished hand quilting Little Rubies. 
Little Rubies, triple four-patch
I quilted a simple Baptist Fan, a pattern I love, but now I wonder if a different pattern might have been better for the quilt.  Ah, well, it's finished and I'm not unquilting it.  You can see the quilting better in the photo below.  

Little Rubies, triple four-patch, hand quilted with Baptist Fans
This is still awaiting binding because I don't have enough medium browns just now.  I might have to go buy a yard of fabric.

I've also been looking over the Baskets of Plenty block patterns so I can make several more basket blocks to create a straight set of 3 across and 3 down.
Baskets of Plenty

I was hoping not to have to do it but I don't see any way to make the quilt I want without changing out the two odd-shaped blocks and making three more.  I'm looking forward to playing with these. 

In order to have some handwork while in the car I cut out more red circles and green squares to stitch. 

These blocks will get their own post soon.

I'm linking this post to UFO Busting at Tish's Adventures in Wonderland.  Thank you, Tish.

--Nancy.
.

17 comments:

  1. You have some great projects going. I know what you mean about starting, versus finishing. I think the Baptist fan works - maybe because when I use it, I think to myself that I will quilt every single quilt in the future with it - I like it that much, ha ha. Your Baskets of Plenty blocks are so pretty. Good luck working out that puzzle! Maybe the other two blocks can be the seeds of new minis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia.  I suppose I will like the Baptist Fans after the quilt is bound and comes out of the washer and dryer.  Sometimes I'm just happy a quilt is finished.  And I do feel the same way you do about Baptist Fans, I just have trouble second guessing myself!
      The baskets are coming up next week, maybe.  Minis are a good idea, maybe little medallions....

      Delete
  2. I love those baskets of plenty --so pretty...those cute birds lead your eyes around looking for where they might be hiding ;))) hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose.  Yes, those birds just keep popping up here and there.  I'll have to pay attention to the birds when considering the arrangement of the blocks.  Scatter them around a bit, maybe.

      Delete
  3. Love your hand fan quilting and your baskets are just adorable! It's good to have some hand work ready to go--have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen.  Yes, I do love having some applique on hand.  It's easy to make progress with only a few minutes at a time.

      Delete
  4. Little Rubies looks great. You can never go wrong with Baptist Fan quilting. It's one of my favorite patterns too. The Cheri's baskets is another one of the quilts I first saw on your blog and would love to make. I need to quit starting SALs and make something I've been longing to make. I'm really curious about your red and green stack. Looks like more fun. . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin.  I always think a Baptist Fan quilting pattern is perfect for any quilt but then I second guess myself when I'm halfway finisher, or at the end.  I do love the pattern, though.  It's probably the most frequent pattern I've used.
      I think you are on Facebook and maybe you're a member of Cheri's Friendship group?  If so, the patterns for the baskets are in the files there and are free.
      The red and green stack is a challenge to me -- fun, too, but a challenge -- mostly because I'm not sure the next steps or how the finished quilt will look.  I'll be doing a post on those one of these days.

      Delete
  5. It is SO hard to stay focused and not start new projects, but the things you are working on currently are so lovely that I would be anxious to finish them. I think your quilting is perfect - one can never go wrong with Baptist Fans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karin.  Oh, yes, it's been really hard not to start one or two new quilts.  But I'm being strong (so far!).
      I think Baptist Fans always work because they're so subtle and non-invasive of the quilt block patterns.  So I don't know why I second guess myself when I use them....

      Delete
  6. So many pretty and inspiring projects! You'll be happy you focused and finished these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy.  I'm trying to be strong and stay focused but my eyes and mind keep wandering....  I just keep telling myself, finish, finish, finish.  Thanks for your encouragement.

      Delete
  7. I loved the Baptist fan quilt. Why would you want it to unquilt? The ongoing basket quilt is also looking awesome. On the go handwork is an excellent way to kill time and save time as well. Yes, I am expecting the finished basket quilt in your next post. Till then, Happy Stitching, nancy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea. I am sorry to disappoint but it will take me at least a month to do the three blocks for the basket quilt!

      Delete
  8. Great projects, I want to do that Baskets of Plenty too! Little Rubies is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karrin.  I just washed and dried LIttle Rubies tonight and will post later.  If you don't have the Baskets of Plenty patterns they are on Cheri's Facebook page.
      I'm so sorry to be responding to your comment almost a month after you wrote it.  Somehow it got lost in my email, but I want you to know I appreciate your taking the time to visit and leave a comment.

      Delete
  9. These quilts are such a treat to the eyes. It helps us to love quilting. Thanks for sharing such a lovely article with us. It’s quite good and provides a lot of information too. It will help us to do the handwork too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...