Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Hurray for Finished Blocks!

I'm always so pleased when the Cheddarback blocks are finished, and even more so when they're particularly difficult blocks like the ones this month.  I cut the fabrics for all the blocks (except 49) at the beginning of the month and worked on them when I had time, pinning, stitching, pressing, etc.  I finished them last week but haven't had time to post.  These are this month's blocks, most to least favorite.

Block 50
Cheddarback Block 50
I love this block pattern!  It's almost like spools but not quite.  This block probably has a name but I haven't found it yet.  I'm making a few more blocks for my Everyday Patchwork sampler quilt and will definitely make one of these.  This is a 5" block that was paper-pieced in three rows.  I don't enjoy paper-piecing but I admit that, when carefully sewn, the blocks are about as perfect as one can make.

Block 52
Cheddarback Block 52
This was an easy block because each triangle/square needed to finish at 1".  Gay provided a great pattern.

Block 51
Cheddarback Block 51
This is a 5" block and the first pineapple block I've ever made.  This, too, was paper-pieced.  The original was created somewhat differently with a triangle on each side where the brown bars are.  Doing it this way prevented the need to sew Y-seams.

Block 49
Cheddarback Block 49
This is the 12" block for the month.  I'm surprised and pleased it turned out so well (even though some of the points around the edges will disappear when stitched to the sashing).  I think this was one of the most difficult in the whole quilt, so far.  Gay gave us a pattern for a simpler block, but many of us wanted to do a block like the one in the original quilt.  Someone in the Facebook group found a Jack's Chain and made that.  She gave finished sizes but the sizes of the cut triangles was hard to figure out.  I cut the pieces and the next day Gay posted a pattern she found and adapted to the correct size.  Unfortunately the sizes I cut and the sizes of her pattern didn't match.  I combined the patterns, cutting down some of the pieces but left the triangles since they were off by such a small amount.  It worked but it wasn't the best way to make a quilt block.  And those Y-seams!  Challenging, to say the least.

Block 53
Cheddarback Block 53
This 5" block is my least favorite of this month's group.  The pattern, too, is a simplified version of the original.  It was quick to stitch and we didn't have to sew more Y-seams.

I have several months' worth of blocks to sew together with sashing and cornerstones.  Maybe I'll get to them in March.

You can see photographs of the original Cheddarback blocks at this post at Sentimental Stitches.  Many thanks to Gay Bomers for creating and giving us the patterns and hosting the sew-along on Facebook.

Finishing these blocks was my One Monthly Goal for February and since I've met the goal I'm linking to One Monthly Goal February Finish Link-up at Elm Street Quilts.  Thank you for hosting, Patty.

I'm also linking this post to
> Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
> Beauties Pageant 71 at From Bolt to Beauty and
> Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
> BOMs Away! at What a Hoot Quilts
Thank you for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.
.

30 comments:

  1. All the blocks are beautiful. And as you've worked on this project now for almost a year, I can see how your confidence has grown, and how well you cope with each complicated block. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy, for both your kind words about the finished blocks this month and for the encouraging words about keeping on and coping.  The sad, or maybe just strange, thing about these blocks is that each month after I finish them I feel like I've accomplished some great task when, in the course of a quilt, they are just 5 blocks.  Maybe it's the difference between creating from our own inspiration/vision and the challenge of reproducing someone else's vision from a pattern.  Neither is necessarily easier or less challenging but using some else's patterns seems harder to me in some ways.  (It should probably seem easier because all the creative work is taken care of....)

      Delete
  2. The blocks are beautiful. I've never seen #50 either and I love it. I took a look in Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia but didn't see it (might have missed it). To me it looks somewhat like a Churn Dash, but even more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia.  I haven't had time to search for #50 in any of the block books I have from the library.  (Sometimes it really is like a search when one doesn't have the name of the block.)  I agree, now that you mention it, that it does look a little like a Churn Dash.  I made a 6" one for my Everyday Patchwork sampler quilt (in progress).

      Delete
  3. I agree these were challenging. Can't imagine making a Jack's Chain quilt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to March's blocks that I think will be fairly simple, if I'm looking at the right ones.  Oh, I can't imagine making a Jack's Chain, either.  And to be honest, I wouldn't want to.  It looks so hard and I'm not a big fan of intersecting circles on quilts.

      Delete
  4. Great blocks! I like number 50, don't think I've ever seen it before, but somehow reminds me of a Dutch windmill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat.  I hadn't thought of a Dutch windmill but I agree, it does make me think of one.  I haven't looked for it in any block books yet but I do wonder if it has a name of if the creator of Cheddarback made it up.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful block finishes this month..Impressive with those Y seamings...I especially like that pineapple one..so pretty hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose.   I think this is the third month we've had to do y-seams.  I would not say I'm becoming proficient but at least they don't threaten me like they used to.  Haha.

      Delete
  6. Good for you finishing your goal--the blocks look great! I'm excited to see what comes next for Cheddarback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen.  I think -- I hope I'm right -- that the March blocks are easy ones.  But, there's always the possibility of the narrow seam or some other small adjustment....

      Delete
  7. Block 49 looks great! It was sure a challenging month. I made the pineapple block twice because the fabric was so ghastly on the first one. I don't like the background fabric I used on Block 53 so I'll be doing that one again too. I've enjoyed this SAL but I'm looking forward to it being done so I can work on other things. What quilt are you hand quilting right now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin.  I'm so glad these Cheddarback blocks are finished.  I suppose we'll have a few more challenges but I hope they're not all in the same month again.  I'm so sorry you've had to remake two blocks.  I'll be doing the same with at least one -- one of these days soon.  The blues I chose are just too blah. 

      I finished quilting Little Rubies just a week or two ago.  The weather has been too grey to get a decent photo but I hope to post yet tonight.  I haven't chosen which top to layer and quilt next.  I still have to bind Rubies but don't have enough of any good medium browns.  I have plaids and stripes but don't want to use them on the binding because I cut binding off-grain but not on a true bias and I don't think I would like the look of those stripes at a strange angle.

      Delete
  8. Wow, that first block is so interesting. I’ve never seen it before either, but it looks like a fun one to play with! Congrats on getting the blocks done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cathy.  Yes, that first block is one I've never seen before, either.  When I have a little time I'll have to see if I can find it in any of the block books so I can call by its real name (if it has one).

      Delete
  9. You have great blocks here, Nancy!
    And I am so proud of you for tackling those Y Seams. Block 49 looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet.  The blocks are not perfect but they are at least passable (to me).  I still don't like Y-seams but at least they don't threaten me as much as they did the first time we had to sew them for a block.  I still don't think I would ever choose a block that required Y-seams, though.  Haha.

      Delete
  10. Amazing blocks. I especially like the way you managed to coordinate the stripy fabric in the 12" block so all the stripes run in the same directions! It makes the block very dynamic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Allison. The stripes in that block were a challenge because the fabric didn't have a symmetrical stripe that repeated from a center line. It took a little extra care but the idea wasn't mine. That's how the original block was made and I liked it enough to repeat it.

      Delete
  11. Great job! I've collected all but one month I missed, but I haven't made them yet. I do like that initial block, as well. I think that might work well for a 12" block I need to make in exactly those colors for March. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan.  Yes, I think the first block would be a great 12" block.  Since the parts are equal thirds it would be an easy one to  figure out the cutting sizes.  I think:  4½" squares and 2½" in squares to make the small corner triangles.  Hope it works if you decide to use it.

      Delete
  12. Fun blocks. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great blocks!! and I bet you feel so good to have so many finished!! Love your fabric choices too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alycia.  I tried to choose fabrics as close to those in the original quilt as I could find.  Some are really close, some not so close.  It is great to be on the downhill side of this sew-along and especially to have these particular blocks finished because they were so hard.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful blocks and great color choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karrin.  It's been fun to try to find fabrics similar to the ones in the original quilt.  And challenging, too!

      Delete
  15. I think these blocks are FABULOUS!! I love how your striped fabric swirls around the center of Block 49. Tried to follow the link to Sentimental Stitches to find out more about this Cheddarback quilt along that you're doing, but I got a weird "account suspended" error. I'll have to try again later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're so kind, Rebecca Grace!  Thank you. 

      I checked with Gay Bomers of Sentimental Stitches today and she wasn't aware that her site was down.  She's had her tech person fix it and she's up and running again now.
      Cheddarback is a block of the month.  She publishes the patterns for 5 blocks (1 12" block and 4 5" blocks) at the beginning of the month.  During that month they are free to download and after the month is over, they cost $5.00 for the set.  The sew-along has been going on for more than a year now and she'll be posting the last two sets of blocks on Wednesday.
      Thanks again for your kind words about my blocks.  I appreciate it.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...