Thursday, July 30, 2020

Not Embroidering on World Embroidery Day


Today is World Embroidery Day.  It was begun in 2011 by a Swedish embroidery group.  Google translates from the Swedish Täcklebo Broderiakademi blog,
In 2011, one of the Embroidery Academy's local groups took the initiative to establish a day to celebrate embroidery.  World Embroidery Day now falls every year on July 30 - in the middle of the wonderful Swedish summer!
I don't know how official or how truly established World Embroidery Day is but I know some embroiderers are celebrating.

I'm not an embroiderer.  I'll do almost anything to avoid embroidering something as simple a name label for a quilt.  But it hasn't always been so.  My mom taught me to embroider when I was 5 or 6.  I still have the little 5" hoop I used, though it hasn't been used for years.

The other day I was searching for a pattern in my father's rolltop desk and came upon this, long-forgotten.


The words are Gordon B. Hinckley's, from 2001, but I embroidered them in 2003, the year I had two hip replacements (before they were quick and minimally invasive as they are today) and was laid up for a month or more after each.  When I had admired a friend's pillow with this embroidery she copied the pattern onto fabric, and I, with little energy or mobility, embroidered it.

And then I came to the bees.  How to embroider those bees?  The penciled pattern on the fabric was ague, unclear and I was indecisive (even then!).  I searched for drawings and patterns for bees and found these that I thought might work.  But then I moved on to other things and this piece was left by the wayside.

Now that I've pulled it out, I'm remembering that I won some sweet bee fabric a few years ago.  Maybe I should put them together somehow.


If you embroider, I hope you celebrated today with some embroidering.  Happy World Embroidery Day to you!

 --Nancy.

10 comments:

  1. I remember that quote;). Sweet embroidery. That is terrific fabric!
    Especially that butterfly. It's already the 31st in Japan so I've missed world embroidery day, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia.  I forget about the time difference between here and there.  You must be nearly 24 hours ahead of us?

      Delete
  2. Your embroidery is so cute--you have to finish it! I think coming up with something using that panel would be lots of fun. I haven't done much embroidery lately. I used to teach embroidery classes and got a bit burnt out on doing it. It's great for recuperating though, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen.  Yes, embroidery is good hand work when one can't do much else but I'd really rather applique or sew on a machine.

      Delete
  3. I so agree about avoiding embroidery, ick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you did a great job on embroidered squares for your little basket quilt, Lizzy!  But we can definitely agree -- other kinds of stitching are better!

      Delete
  4. Love to embroider. Like you, learned as a child , butI stuckwith it. How cute to use your bee stash with the embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I used to enjoy embroidering, Jennie.  I don't know what happened.  I suppose it was quilting....  ;-) And your needlework is beautiful!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I like that, Nancy.
    I only embroidery when a wool applique piece calls for embroidered details. I learned as a 10 or 11 year old and did a few pillowcases, but I think that was as far as it went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet.  I think there are a lot of us who learned to embroider when we were younger but who don't embroider now.  It is a good skill for children to learn but isn't always a favorite, especially as children get older.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...