Thursday, August 6, 2020

One Monthly Goal: The Blue and the Gray

The progress on this quilt has been so slow that I've decided the only way to speed the progress is to choose it as my One Monthly Goal and push myself.  It has 30 blocks, 66 sashing &border rectangles, and 38 cornerstones.  As of today, I've quilted 12 blocks, 6 sashing rectangles, and 12 cornerstones.  And parts of several other blocks.
I can only quilt so long before my fingers wither so I'm giving myself the rather easy goal of quilting 15 sashing rectangles.  (At least I think it's an easy goal.  I've not noticed how long it takes to quilt just one.)
I knew I didn't want to quilt Baptist Fans on this quilt but I wasn't sure how to quilt it.  Because it's a Civil War-style quilt, I looked up quilting styles of that era and found that they often quilted diagonal rows across quilts, often 2 or 3 rows together.  So that's how I began with the 9-patches.  Except I decided to cross the diagonals in the center, then go in only one directions on the rest of the block.  And in my imagination, it would all work out that I could just continue smoothly from one block to the next.  But didn't take into account what would happen across those large sashing rectangles.  (They're 4" x 9".)  Trying to make the connection across them I realized that it wouldn't work out smoothly, removed the several rows of diagonal stitching in the sashings, and decided to quilt straight lines.  It's probably not the greatest solution but for this really simple quilt pattern I think it works.

You can't see any of the quilting in the photo below but this is a view of most of the quilt.  You can tell what's been quilting because there are no pins in those blocks.
So, my One Monthly Goal for August is to quilt 15 sashing rectangles.  I'm linking this post to One Monthly Goal August Link-up at Elm Street Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Patty.  I can't tell you how helpful it is to my quilting progress and accountability when I publicly state a goal every month.  

--Nancy.


12 comments:

  1. It's such a handsome quilt. Good luck with your goal! The quilting is looking so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia.  Handsome is a good word to describe this quilt, I think, because it seems very masculine to me.  My quilting stitches are getting a little better but I doubt I'll ever quilt 8 or 10 or 12 to an inch.

      Delete
  2. I love this quilt and how you are quilting it. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy.  I don't usually decide a quilting pattern in advance, and I didn't this time.  This wasn't my first choice of how to quilt it but I think it'll be fine.

      Delete
  3. I love the double Xs in the 9-patch blocks, the way each dark square has an X in it. Turned out really clever. I keep thinking I'm close to being done with my low-volume quilt but I counted up the blocks last night and I've only done 11 out of 20. At least I'm half way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin.  I'm still wondering whether I should do the diagonals in both directions on all the parts of the 9-patch blocks.  I'll look at it again when I have more of the sashings quilted and decide.
      Isn't it crazy how we finally finish quilting the center of a quilt and think we're almost done.  I do that almost every time and every time I realize that there are more blocks around the edges than in the center plus a border!  Yay for you to be more than halfway finished with the low-volume quilt.  Is it peaceful quilting?  How are you quilting it?

      Delete
  4. Lovely. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems you are able to get lots of hand quilting done. I am so slow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so slow with hand quilting, too, Jennie, which is why I have to set a public goal to make much progress.  Haha.  I do enjoy quilting but sometimes don't focus on it and just leave it for times when I'm sitting in the family room.  This month I purposefully sit there and quilt.  I'm making progress!

      Delete
  6. Great quilt, good luck on reaching your goal!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...