Friday, August 7, 2020

This Is What Happens

maple leaf quilt blocks in autumn colors
When I finish a quilt top (or get to the point where I need to lay it aside for a while), I've already considered and reconsidered nearly everything about it and decided it's good to go.  When I pull it out for the next step, either to add a border or lay it in preparation for quilting, this is what nearly always happens:

First:  I see all the creases where it's been folded and wonder how I'm going to flatten it.  Do I need to press it or just let it lie there for a while and it will smooth itself out?

Second:  I wonder how I could have considered it ready for the next step because it either looks too long or too wide or the color or block placement looks not quite right.

Third:  I do my best to maintain self control and just leave it!

That's what happened to the maple leaves.  All those wrinkles, the uneven placement of color, the size...  But I'm leaving it except for adding a border or two, which was my original intention.  I'm grateful I measured the quilt before I folded it so at least I know how long to cut the side borders.

These are the borders I was auditioning before I put it away.
maple leaf quilt blocks in autumn colors
At the time I thought the turquoise/blue at the bottom looked good but now I think it looks garish.  (In person it definitely looks garish.)

I decided a narrow border, probably in dark brown, would be good.  And I thought perhaps the same light blue I'd used as background in some of the blocks would be good for the wider, outer border, but now I think it looks too bland.  This is a bright, vibrant quilt and I want the border to reflect and enhance that, not detract from it.
maple leaf quilt in autumn colors
That's as far as I've gotten with current auditions.  It just occurred to me that with Picasa I can place the photo on a blank background in the collage setting and choose different colored background so it looks similar to a border.  Then, of course, I would have to find fabric to match.  Or choose fabric possibilities first and then only use those colors for the background.  I'll have to play with that before making a decision.  And audition fabrics in person, too.  I have a rust and orange plaid that I thought might work but no, it wasn't quite right.  And I have a medium teal that may work.  I don't know.  I'll have to keep auditioning.

(Please note, the first and second photos are the most accurate for coloring.)

I almost claimed adding the border as my One Monthly Goal for August and then decided the risk was too great.  It always takes me longer to choose fabrics and colors than to measure, cut, and sew a border.

I'm linking this post to
> Finished (or Not) Friday at Alycia Quilts
> Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
> What I Made Monday at Pretty Piney
> Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
> Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts 
> Main Crush Monday at Cooking up Quilts
Thanks for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.
.)

27 comments:

  1. wow this is a very pretty quilt...i think you are being too critical of yourself...anxious to see it once borders on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Grace.  I'm anxious to see the borders on, too!  Still playing, auditioning, and trying to decide.

      Delete
  2. They are absolutely beautiful maple leaves. Good luck finishing the border audition process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment about the leaves and for the encouraging comment about auditioning borders, Cynthia. I'm still at it, trying new colors or new ideas every day or two. Ha! One of these days it will fall into place and I'll wonder why I didn't think of it earlier.

      Delete
  3. What a very pretty leafy quilt!! Gorgeous! I think it all works out in the end, as I see your gorgeous quilts progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie.  I appreciate your kind encouragement.

      Delete
  4. I love maple leaf quilts and yours is so pretty! Some quilts just seem to need a bit of time to simmer and then they tell you what they want. And it will take on an entirely new dimension when it's sandwiched and quilting begins. That to me is the most satisfying part of the process. This one will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat.  I agree that some quilts do need to simmer a while, this quilt seems to want a little longer than most.  I guess I just haven't found the right color(s) yet.  Oh, yes, the quilting adds so much.

      Delete
  5. The border is what always brings me to a screeching halt (as in my most recent Jamestown Landing, still laying there). Although at least with that one, I'm just copying what Bonnie did! I love the leaves; so pretty and perfect time of year to get her finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherrill. Borders can be challenging!  I would love to be able to finish this top and get it layered and basted before September comes so I could quilt in this fall, but it doesn't seem to be cooperating.  It's not agreeing to any of the borders I've tried so far.

      Delete
  6. It's going to be SEW gorgeous!! I think you were on track with a narrow inner brown and outer turquoise/blue border. It looks like that will be a perfect finish to your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Joyful.  I'm still playing and trying to find a good shade/tone for the border.

      Delete
  7. I love the Maple Leaf design and have made two so far. It's always a bit tricky deciding on borders but you seem to be getting there, good luck with that. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement about the border, Jenny.  They are sometimes more challenging than others, and this time seems to be one of the challenging ones. 

      Delete
  8. You know I love this quilt! The leaf placemnt is just riiight, very swirly and autumn windblown.

    At first I liked the turquoise border, like autumn sky here.But not if it is garish. I also like the ??plum, puce, brown lower left. I'm not a fan of the double border, the leaves want to be free and not forced into a quilty traditional frame.

    When my tops are done I fold them minimally and hang on pants hangers. Less wrinkles, less effort. The pants kind wire w a cardboard roll are fine, or you can order drapery hangers w a 1" roll. Smaller quilts get hung on the pinch clasp skirt hangers sometimes.

    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy.  This quilt is being very uncooperative about how its border should be.  I intended swirling leaves on a windy day, falling from the sky -- more or less -- for the center.  But now the border -- looking toward the sky (with blues/teals/aquas/etc.) or looking toward the ground (with more greens)?  It's still on the floor and the border changes every day or two.  I'm sure something will declare itself the right border one of these days.
      Thanks for the info about hanging the tops.  I'll look for some hangers and give it a try.

      Delete
  9. I almost dread getting another top out to put on the frames because I'm afraid I'm going to find something that needs changing. It ends up taking much longer than I want. So hard to pick out just the right border. So many times I have the perfect fabric but just not enough of it. I guess you could spill a few leaves out into the border. (But then, you'd have to make more blocks - bad idea)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Robin. You echo my thoughts almost exactly when it comes to getting out the next top to layer and baste. There's always something I didn't notice before.

      I like the idea of spilling some leaves into the border. The only drawback is that the leaves are 9" and I'm not sure about adding 18" to the length and width. I was thinking of a 6" border all the way around. I've pondered the idea of two rows of 3" squares of the background fabrics as a border but.... Or maybe just another row of leaves in both directions and no border at all.

      Thanks for sharing your thought about the border.

      Delete
  10. Seeing your lovely top makes me want to jump in and make one too! Great tip about picasa and framing your photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rose Marie. I haven't tried putting the photo in Picasa yet -- have had my daughter home for a visit -- but hope to do it tomorrow or early next week.

      Delete
  11. So many options! You know, I usually like a narrow inner border with a wider outer border, but I am drawn more to the top photo. The color isn't as critical to me as the idea that the leaves are not "contained" within the narrow inner border. Just my opinion. I do love this top and whatever you do to finish it, that top is going to shine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about borders on this quilt, Janet.  I haven't found anything I'm happy with yet.  I thought the narrow inner border was perfect, then woke up one morning, took a look, and pulled it away.  Maybe it just needs another row of leaves in both directions and no border.  I'll play a little longer....  I appreciate your encouragement and confidence in its outcome.

      Delete
  12. This is an amazing quilt! I personally like the dark teal color up at the top of the photo - brings out all those teals - but then again... that is one of my favorite colors! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia.  Teal is one of my favorite colors, too.  It would probably help if I had enough fabric to see borders all the way around....

      Delete
  13. I love this beautiful fall quilt. Maybe you can decide and have it ready to quilt in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennie.  I'm hoping I can get it finished and ready to quilt by September (or as soon as I finish the quilt in the hoop now).  It seems like the perfect quilt to work on in September, October, and November.

      Delete
  14. Love this fall quilt! I actually like the turquoise border

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...