Saturday, August 29, 2020

Variations on a Theme

Nothing--absolutely nothing--is what I've wanted to do for the past week or two.  An aged friend told me a few years ago, "My get up and go got up and went."  I guess mine did, too.  Doing nothing is an uncommon feeling for me because I rarely just sit.  I'm nearly always thinking about what to do next or am doing something.  I pushed myself and kept going, knowing it wouldn't be good for me to do nothing for long.

While the autumn maples were on the floor quibbling about what border they wanted or whether they wanted a border at all, I took my time cutting and sewing blue blocks.  And now I have these.
Foxy Grandpa quilt block
Foxy Grandpa

Double X #4 quilt block
Double X #4

An Original Design quilt block
An Original Design

Broken Dishes quilt block
Broken Dishes
(I think this must have another name.)

Duck and Ducklings quilt block
Duck and Ducklings

Eagle's Nest quilt block
Eagle's Nest

Home Treasure quilt block
Home Treasure

Snow Owl quilt block
Snowy Owl

Square on Square quilt block
Square On Square

Temple Court quilt block
Temple Court

The Chinese Block Quilt quilt block
The Chinese Block Quilt

It's interesting that some blocks, even though created from the same shapes in the same arrangement, have different names depending on how the colors are arranged.  In the photo below, the top row, 2nd block is the same pattern as 2nd row, last block, but with color variations and different names.  On the bottom row, the 2nd and 3rd blocks are the same pattern but have different names.  

I chose these blocks because they all seemed, in some way, to be a variation on a theme:  a central square or on-point square surrounded by an on-point square or a straight set square.   Will they work together in a quilt?  Is blue enough to unify them.  Whether they do or not, whether blue does or not, they will be in one quilt together. 

These are the 15 blocks I've finished, in no particular arrangement.  I'll make at least five more blocks, then decide when to make more or not.  These have been no-pressure blocks.  No deadline, no particular intent other than to find similar blocks and make them with dominant blue fabrics.

I hope you're having a good day.  Thanks so much for visiting.

--Nancy.
.

22 comments:

  1. Oooooo! What pretty blue blocks! I think they're going to be perfect together!
    I've been having a hard time motivating myself, too. I think it's the sustained dread for the last several months that is just wearing us out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gayle.  I don't use blue often.  I hope all the blues play well together.
      "Sustained dread" is a good description for these past six months -- and who knows long into the future.  It's just such strange times we're living in!

      Delete
  2. Good to see a post from you! I have felt the same way these past few days, often browsing aimlessly online. Gayle's comment above--perfect phrase, "sustained dread" and now as suddelnly things have reopened here, I for one am at a loss, safe/ unsafe? etc.

    Your blue blocks are so pretty and so precise. I love how the design changes with color placement, very interesting.

    Of course I'm looking forward to seeing what you deice w Maple Leaves.

    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lizzy--
      Thank you for your kind words about the blue blocks.  I hope all the different blues look good together.
      Oh, that reopening -- and then the increases in covid cases, and the awful situation of people in the ICUs.  I hope you're staying safe!

      Delete
  3. Good job making these blocks; sometimes that lethargy just takes hold...
    they are very pretty blocks nice work hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Julierose. Lethargy, inertia, call it what you will, it definitely takes over and takes a lot of work to get past it, too.

      Delete
  4. Oh, these are great blocks? I was so interested in the first two matching blocks that you mentioned. They seem so different but it is just the color placement. Glad you were able to find something - low pressure- to keep you busy. Things are supposed to get a little cooler here for a few days. I'm sure it will feel good but it won't last long enough. The cooler days should be heading your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin.  I was surprised to learn that the same block patterns have different names depending on the color placement.  And sometimes they look so very different!
      We had a beautiful day today, in the 70s with sun.  We'll have 80s this coming week but certainly the weather will slowly get cooler as September continues.  Fall is my favorite season.

      Delete
  5. Those blocks look great, and I think they will make a beautifull quilt

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice indeed....blue and white is a timeless combo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a blue and white quilt, and your blocks are beautiful, Nancy. Quilt block names have always intrigued me. I'm doing the current Yankee Notions QAL in blue and white. With your inspiration, maybe I will make it larger with the addition of some of your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words about these blocks, Happy Quilter. I'd love to see your Yankee Notions blue and white blocks! Do you have a blog or post them some other place where I can see them?

      Delete
  8. This is going to be a beautiful quilt! Your blocks all work together very nicely--you've done a good job of choosing them. I wonder if it's because the summer that never really happened is ending and we are heading into fall and winter that we are feeling a little down in dumps? Looking forward to more lovely blue blocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your vote of confidence about these blue blocks working together, Karen. 

      It has been a strange spring and summer, and now what will fall be like?  More of the same?  I'm ready for this covid problem to be over.

      Delete
  9. Great blocks, they will make a wonderful quilt. Another commenter was right on point with her comment about sustained dread. It has worn out many of us and the prospect of continuing in this state has had a dulling effect on our collective psyches. Is this the way we really want to live out our remaining years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. 

      It's an awful thought to imagine the rest of my life being like the past six months have been!  Introvert and homebody that I am, I do like to get out -- and without a mask!

      Delete
  10. I can relate - having a hard time concentrating and there's an underlying dread and worry. Your blocks are really pretty. They are unified but there's a nice variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement about these blue blocks, Cynthia. 

      The strange thing about our situation is that I don't think I'm feeling worry and dread, just cooped up and in need of a change for a bit.  Even going out feels confining when I have to wear a mask.  One stop and I'm done, ready to go home so I can take the mask off!  I know 1918, 1919, and 1920 must have been hard and they eventually gave up wearing masks.  I hope it's the same for us, only sooner than two years!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...