Wednesday, April 6, 2022

A Risky Goal for April

More often than not my One Monthly Goals are conservative--the minimum I know I can accomplish in a month.  But when I get started on a goal I'll keep going and usually go beyond my original intention for the month.  I also often choose some aspect of quilting that I would let linger, resulting in a longer-than-necessary process.  And when I set a goal, it's one I know positively that I can accomplish (barring any illness or calamity) because I have everything ready to work on it.

This month my One Monthly Goal is to layer and baste a quilt in preparation for quilting it.  That's an easy goal except the only thing I have ready to meet the goal is a top and the batting--no backing.  And I'm not sure which top!  I'm crazy to put this much pressure on myself because it means making creative decisions with materials I don't have at hand.  Below are the options.

Time Flies.
hourglass blocks in a quilt, TIme Flies
Possible backing options are a print fabric with red/black/grey/tan--if I can find one; the leftover plaids sewn together--if there are enough; solid red; solid grey or black; a print with clock-related images.  I don't have enough reds to make a scrappy back.  I think it would fun to see a print on the other side.

Linda Brannock's Flowers.
Linda Brannock's Flowers quilt
This still needs a border and I have the fabric--it's in the washer now--and then I'll have to cut and sew it onto the quilt. But what backing fabric for this one? I thought a folk-style print would be great, but where to find one, especially in colors and a pattern that would work with this quilt?  Other options include a putty-colored fabric with or without a print; a red print fabric.  Or...?  Maybe a neutral....  This quilt is so busy that maybe a calm fabric would be great for the back.

Buckeye Beauty.
Buckeye Beauty in Red
This is a small quilt.  The blocks finish at 6" and I think the border is 5", for a quilt that's about 46" x 52".  A red back?  Dark red?  A red print back?  Again, I don't have enough reds to make a scrappy back for it.

Anyway, layering and basting one of these quilts is my One Monthly Goal for April. 

(Do you come away from this post thinking that I like red?  I do!)

I'm linking this post to One Monthly Goal April Linkup at Elm Street Quilts.  Thank you for hosting, Patty.

--Nancy.

16 comments:

  1. All three are just lovely--difficult choice for you. I would try the one furthest along in the finishing line (?), Still hanging our resting here these days--but I did manage to begin a small stitch project...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose. The biggest challenge has been finding/making backing for any of the tops I have. So, whichever fabric I find to work with any quilt will be the quilt I'll layer and baste! Fabric came today. I just have to pull out the tops to see if it will work with any of them. I hope so!

      Delete
  2. I love all 3 of these choices! It will be fun to see which one you choose, and how you chose to finish! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Laura. I ordered some fabric online which arrived today. I washed it and dried it tonight and will see which quilt it works best with.

      Delete
  3. All three are great choices, but I would choose the one you're most excited to quilt. That way, once the task is basting is completed, the next step will be one you're looking forward to. Also, it might help motivate you to get thr task done in the first place? As for backs, are you trying to not purchase anything, or is a trip to the quilt shop not an easy option? I'm so lucky to have a local shop that, when the new owner took over, has expanded from mostly civil war repros and very traditional prints to anything and everything, with a room still dedicated to the original styles. (But sometimes STILL can't find something I really like!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your suggestions, Katie.  I've bought some fabric that I hope will work for one or two of the tops.  It's being washed at the moment and tomorrow I'll pull out the quilts to see what I think.  This whole goal is based on finding backing fabric, though I wish it were just the choice of whichever one I'd like to work on next.  I sometimes buy yards of fabric in advance of a need but so often it's just not right for the quilts I make. 

      There is a quilt shop within easy driving distance but their selection is slim.  You ARE lucky to have one close to you with a good selection.

      Delete
  4. Oh I have fond memories of these quilts, Nancy. Sadly, I don't pay much attention to the backs like I should. Though I do try to use some orphaned blocks if they can work at all. But you have such lovely finishes there whatever you choose for backings will be fine, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouraging words, Jocelyn. I'm not really particular about backs except I do like them to sort-of go with the fronts and I always hope the fabric will be soft.

      Delete
  5. Maybe your goal could be revised to just choosing backings? Your quilts are wonderful, I would have so much fun choosing backings, even tho we never agree of course,lol. [which is fine]. I did do a quick search for clock print fabrics, bec I thought that is such a charming whimsical idea for your HourGlass quilt. Lots to choose from. Also Keepsake quilting has their wide backings on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lizzy, I would love to see the fabrics you would choose for backing for any of these quilts (even though we may sometimes not agree).

      I searched for clock print fabrics, too, but didn't find many that were actually available and in colors I thought would work. Keepsake Quilting has a wide one with gears and a clock on sale today but I thought the colors wouldn't go so well with the front.

      Delete
  6. It does appear that you like red just a tad. :)
    Any one of these quilts is a wonderful option. I look forward to seeing what you choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. I always say red is my favorite color, but today I realized that I say that when I'm using red. When I'm using coral/salmon/melon colors I think those are my favorites. And the same with browns. Indecisive or fickle?

      Delete
  7. I like red too. I went through my sewing room yesterday looking for my lost pattern (I think I've mentioned it before) and I have a lot of red too. I think red is the color that goes with everything. I found a reddish backing at a local quilt shop that was selling things for $5.99 a yd recently. To bad you can't go shopping here. It's for the next quilt in my queue. After going through a bunch of fabric, I have a lot of 1 yd+ pieces leftover from other backings that don't really go together but I need to sew them up into large scrappy backings for the future. Your hourglass quilt has such serenity to it, nice to be reminded of it again. Oh, and I found my pattern finally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on finding the pattern you've been searching for, Robin.  I don't know about you but whenever I can't find something my mind just won't let it go--I mentally search through all the possible places it could be (while I'm trying to fall asleep), then search the next day.  It's so frustrating to put something "away" and then I can't find it.
      That's a great price for fabric.  The prices are much higher in the shop near here, even the fabrics that are on sale.  Glad you found a fabric you can use at such a good price.
      Thank you for your kind comment about the hourglass quilt.  I think I might try big stitch using size 12 perle cotton and see how it goes, then switch back to regular quilting thread if I don't like it.

      Delete
  8. Red is terrific and you have three nice "almost finished" projects here. Which one have you decided to finish first? I always get stalled at the border stage lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia. Oh, borders! Borders and bindings are so challenging for me. They're so important in keeping a quilt flat and so easy (for me) to mess up.

      Some fabric arrived today and tomorrow I'll pull out the quilts and look at them with the fabric to decide. I hope the fabric works for one or the other of them! If so, then I'll know which quilt I'll be finishing first.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...