Thursday, April 14, 2022

The Gift of An Antique Block from Lizzy

A month or so ago I thought once again of Lori's Antique Quilt Block Challenge and tried to think of whether I had an old quilt block I could use.  The only one I could think of was still a part of my Dresden Plate Quilt, the one my mom made when I was a child.  It's a little raggedy but it's still intact and I knew I didn't want to take it apart.  When Lizzy posted about her antique block I left a comment admiring hers and said I'd been thinking about participating but didn't have a block and at that point, even if I had one, I didn't think I could create even a small quilt in time to participate.  Generous Lizzy said she had some antique blocks and would be happy to give me one or several if I wanted them.  She took and sent photos even though she wasn't feeling great, bless her heart.  I hesitated to accept knowing I probably wouldn't finish a quilt by the end of May, but Lizzy encouraged me to choose from the photos she sent.  And so I did.  It's the brown block above.  Isn't it beautiful?  I love it!

A week or so later, an envelope arrived with the block safely inside in a plastic bag.  Also in the envelope were several gifts.  
There was a piece of fabric so similar to the one used in the quilt, it amazed me, yet it was made in recent years.  She also sent a postcard with a miniature quilt pattern, a booklet with more patterns for quiltlets, and an ocean-related note card with a lighthouse on the front and a note inside.  Thank you for your generosity, Lizzy.  You are very kind.

I think this was my first time seeing an antique block that wasn't in a quilt.  I was thrilled to be able to see the stitching on the back, with seams narrower than our modern-day quarter-inch.  They are closer to 1/8", and both seams and stitches are so even.  No rotary cutter or sewing machine for this block!
What is it I enjoy so much about examining someone else's work so closely?  Perhaps it's seeing how other quilters do things, maybe especially because I've learned to quilt with only the instruction of books.  Just seeing and admiring the workmanship?  Or seeing how they press their seams?  There doesn't seem to be a system on this block for the direction seams rest.  And the points of some of the flying geese go away from the block while other sections of the seam go toward the block.  (Pressing flying geese have always been a problem for me--up or down?--and neither way settles them just right.)  I love the fact that this quilter used a piece of fabric with pink stripes on three little blocks.  Positively charming.  The block measures about 11" and will finish at about 10½", but it's not exactly square.  Did I mention that I love it?

I wish I could say my mind has been swirling with ideas to use this in a quilt, but it hasn't.  I would love to make 11 more to make a larger quilt but I know I would struggle with matching the size.  And gosh, would the fabric hold up through a washer and dryer more than a few times?  I think using this block in a large quilt is out of the question.  I'll start playing with ideas and hope Lori does another Antique Quilt Block Challenge next year.  (Unless I get a bolt of inspiration and the time to sew and finish a small quilt by May 31.)

Many, many thanks, Lizzy, for your generous gift of this quilt block.  I love it!

--Nancy.

14 comments:

  1. Hm. It’s a beautiful block but I would hesitate to try to take it apart considering the tiny seams, and especially if the stitching is close. I’ll love to see what you come up with. The inclusion of the brown print will come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Sandy. I really can't imagine taking this block apart and then resewing it. The seams are so very narrow. Do you know if that was common with early quilt makers? I know if they stitched by hand, they wouldn't have had a guide like we use on sewing machines these days. That narrow seam seems dangerous to me, an open invitation for fraying.

      I finally put the block up on the wall so I can try to imagine options. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with this beauty.

      Delete
  2. I've learned about quilting mostly through books too so to hold something like this in your hand and examine the stitching, etc. is amazing. It is a little beauty and I agree you are right to not put it in a large quilt where it might not hold up. I'm sure you will think up a great way to use it, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you ever wonder what we've missed (or may have missed) by learning only from books, Jocelyn. Maybe a live quilter could have taught me better!

      Whatever happens with this block, I hope I do it justice!

      Delete
  3. That block is great and it is well made in spite of a few minor issues. So fun to see the back. I have a few of my mother-in-laws orphan blocks and I like to study the back sides. In fact, I had selected one of them for Lori's challenge. I even put it up on my bulletin board in my sewing room to remind me and inspire me to come up with some ideas for completion. I finally have taken it down and put it away because no inspiration ever came. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it may be more of a challenge than I realized to incorporate an old block into a new quilt/quiltlet, Robin. I'm sorry you didn't get inspiration for your mother-in-law's block. Maybe a different block? Or, as you say, another year.

      When I've thought of using old blocks in new quilts, especially if there's only one block, the first thing that comes to mind is a medallion with the old block in the center as the focus. Just now a thought breezed through my mind of using it elsewhere in a quilt. I just now put this block up on the wall. Next I'll have to get out paper and pencil and play. This year, or next, or another year....

      Delete
  4. Hi! I am so touched and pleased that you are enjoying my little gift. My fave part of this block is the random faded red stripes.

    If you want to make it into a larger quilt, I have the other 16 or so blocks that go with, which cost me nothing, and you can certainly have some or all. I don't mind the wonky points and never ever remake antiique blocks [tho it's your choice]---why bother/ make new/ I think. My issue w these blocks is the browns may run if washed. Light use only too.

    I do hope you use this block someday and or its companions. Go for it! I have many many more...

    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm thoroughly enjoying your gifts, Lizzy.  I put the quilt block up on the wall where I can glance (or stare) at it easily and often.  It's wonderful!
      Thank you for the offer of the other blocks but I would hesitate to put them into a quilt that would actually be used (and I don't put quilts on our walls) so I think I'll just admire this one and the photos of the others you sent, and try to come up with a small quilt for this block. 

      Not only do I not mind the wonky points (the very few that there are, but I adore them.  I can't imagine taking this block apart, or any antique block, for that matter.  This is perfect as it is.  I tested it to see if the brown would run and it didn't.  I was happy about that.

      Delete
  5. So precious to see the whole unfinished block, front and back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, for sure, QuiltGranma, and to hold it in my hands, too! I love it!

      Delete
  6. That is a beautiful block, and wonderfully presented. I haven't worked with a real antique block either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Shasta, that it's beautiful. If I do the Antique Quilt Block Challenge, I hope I can come up with something that truly enhances it.

      Delete
  7. Many if not most 19th century blocks have just over 1/8" seams. Usually--often--the stitching is straight, even and tiny, sometimes with backstitching to prevent coming apart. I believe the narrow seams made fine quilting easier and made the quilt less heavy. Also quilts were rarely if ever washed, maybe aired in the spring [no washing machines!]; so the wear and tear we associate with laundering was not a consideration. Last, frugality: why waste fabric on deep seams?
    Then when machine piecing came into use, you'll see wildly crooked uneven stitching lines. I think I showed a top's back on my blog recently.
    I hope, again, you will use your block[s]. You are welcome to visit my Pinterest board Doll Quilts, crib quilts for ideas. And Lori has good Pinterest idea files too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such great information about old/antique quilts, Lizzy.  I may have been aware of 1/8th seams at some point in the past but seeing them in person was really a surprise.  It seems like narrow seams would be easier to hand quilt than the wide ones--at least a stitch or two narrower than the 1/4" seams.  Your other reasons for the narrow seams make sense, too, though I'm surprised that 1/8" seams didn't rip out, even without being washed. 

      Yes, I remember your post with the photos of those crazy, uneven seams.  I attributed those to the quilter either being a novice at sewing or so good that she was able to imagine where the seams should be without having a 1/4" edge of fabric.  It makes sense that it could be that the sewing machine was new to her.
      I enjoyed looking at your pinterest boards and will go back for another look.

      Thank you again, Lizzy!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...