Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Nudging a Seam a Tad Narrower to Preserve Points

I thought I had my quarter inch seams worked out--finally.  But when I sewed a few churn dash blocks together I noticed points missing here and there.  It wasn't such a big deal but it was on my mind as I was sewing more blocks together.

It occurred to me that the problem might not be my 1/4 seam but that sewing eight layers of fabric together (four on each side of the seam) might effect how flat the fabric lays when pressed.  The seams do press flat but with so many layers it seems like the points just slightly curve into the seam, giving the appearance of a missing point.  With so much fabric in one spot, you can only press the fabric apart so far, even if the seam is pressed flat.

I decided to try nudging the seam a tad narrower to see what would happen.  It's a little hard to see in the photo below but click to enlarge if you want to see detail.  I wasn't sure if sewing a little closer to the edge would distort the seam and the whole block or not.
Here's the seam pressed open, below.  The slightly narrower seam over the points doesn't seem to have affected the blocks and the points aren't missing.  Hooray!
This is something I'll try to remember to do when I have to sew points again, always checking to make sure the blocks come out okay.  (Are you cringing at this idea?  Have I missed a reason not to do this?)

Life Aside from Quilting
We spent a few days with my daughter and her family last Thursday and Friday.  I always come home sore and tired but it's so worth it to be in the company of her and her husband, and our delightful grands.  (I forgot to take photos, again.  Sight.)  We went down for a Grandparents Day event at the school, a sprawling "fair" on the school grounds.  I think the favorite part of the event for the grands is always the book fair but the lines were so long we missed most of the other activities.  The children didn't seem to mind.

Did you see the moon last Thursday or Friday night?!  It was huge, low, and golden as we drove home.  Gorgeous!

We've had two beautiful late summer/early fall days yesterday and today.  The high temperatures were in the low 70s with sun, a few clouds, and wonderful breezes.  It seems like we might have an early fall this year....

I finally cut setting triangles.  I think they'll work.  (I'll write a post about that later.)  I'll recheck sizes tomorrow and then pin and sew.  I have to get a move on this quilt so I can have it done by the end of the 3rd week in September since I'll be at the ocean the fourth week.  I'm so looking forward to that!

I hope all is well in your world.

--Nancy.

8 comments:

  1. Good that you figured out those seam bits to keep those points intact!!
    Nice job hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. It seems to be working okay.

      Delete
  2. I think this narrowing of the seam is a great idea. Whatever keeps the blocks together and makes them shine is a great idea. I'm envious of your trip to the ocean - sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This seems to be working but I notice that some points aren't equidistant from the seam.  Sigh.  Oh, well.  I think I'll live with that.
      I was ho-hum about the trip to the ocean last month.  This month I find I'm looking forward to it.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty points. I was taught? to sew a few threads to the right of the apex of the points, which yes, make a slightly narrower seam.

    What beach are you going to? September is such a wonderful beach time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy. I wish I'd had your teacher to know to sew a few threads to the right! That's what happens when I teach myself or use books.

      We're going to Dewey Beach, Delaware. We're also thinking of taking the ferry to Cape May, NJ, and then a whale-watching trip. I don't know if we'll actually do it or not. Even so, just being at the ocean is fabulous to me.

      Delete
  4. I think you've found the right solution to the disappearing points issue. I've had to do the same thing with several quilts and they've held up well so far.
    Enjoy your time at the beach! Wish I was going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hadn't thought about how well the narrower seam would hold up, Pat! So glad to hear you haven't had problems.
      I'm sure we will enjoy the ocean though I hope it doesn't rain.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...