Saturday, December 10, 2022

Quilt Blocks, Out and About, Christmas Movies

I'm making progress on Burgoyne Surrounded blocks.  These are six of the last eight blocks. 
Burgoyne Surrounded quilt blocks
The pattern for this quilt is so strong that I it would look fine if it were really scrappy, with lights/darks only.  I think that was my original intention.  But I admit that the colors add a lot of interest.  Below are pieces of the last two blocks I'll stitch.  Maybe I will get them made before Christmas.  (Or maybe not.)
My daughter and I went to a trolley hop in the city last weekend.  Kelton House is usually our first stop.  I always look forward to seeing how they've decorated, always with Victorian pieces, some original to the house.  One of the Christmas displays was of small houses made from cardboard. 
small Christmas house at Kelton House small Christmas house at Kelton House small Christmas house at Kelton House They looked so festive.  I think my mom had some cardboard houses she used to put out at Christmas, too, but I doubt they were from the Victorian era.  A few days ago I was surprised to see a wreath made of paper houses and was pleased to see that patterns were included in the post.  I think the wreath houses are about a third the size of the ones at Kelton House.  The patterns could easily be enlarged.  

A day or so ago Ann Wood posted a pattern for scrappy Christmas tree ornaments.  I made one, then two, then three.  They finished at about 4 3/4" high.
Scrappy Christmas tree ornaments from Ann Wood's pattern
I don't love these particular trees but I may make a few more with other fabrics.  Lighter colors would stand out better against our fir-green tree.

I'm sharing some Christmas movies we watch and love, sharing mostly because some of these are ones I don't see on others' lists.  The first three are comedies from about the 1940s, as is White Christmas. 
  • It Happened on Fifth Avenue
  • Christmas in Connecticut
  • Bachelor Mother
  • Home Alone
  • The Santa Clause
  • The Forgotten Carols
  • Mixed Nuts
  • White Christmas
  • While You Were Sleeping
  • A Child's Christmas in Wales
  • The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey, which was new to me this year.  I expect I'll watch it again next year.

And these are three of the Christmas books I love.
  • A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens 
  • The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson.  (Listen on audio of you can.) 
  • Christmas at Thompson Hall by Anthony Trollope

For some reason I'm not feeling very Christmasy yet.  I don't know what that's about but I hope it changes soon.   And I hope that's not so for you, if you celebrate Christmas.

I'm linking this post to Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Judy.

--Nancy.

14 comments:

  1. Your Burgoyne quilt is lovely. Of course the confetti effect color use appeals to me.

    The putz houses are popular this year! I think they date from the 1930s to 50s, not Victorian, tho some may be that old. You can by the various blank cardboard houses inexpensively on Amazon. As putting them together can be hard.
    I am not feeling Christmassy either---everyone is broke, sick, tired, depressed. How I miss the exciting snowy holidays of my childhood in Illinois. Always snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzie. Those are just blocks, not yet joined with sashing. If I were to make another Burg.S. quilt, I think I would omit the sashing. I like the looks of these close together. Maybe a "confetti" version will happen.
      I did not know that these were called putz houses. I did a little research about the houses and it seems the idea came to the U.S. with Moravian immigrants possibly as early as 200 years ago. See links at https://padutchcompanion.com/2020/12/18/history-of-the-christmas-putz/ and https://www.hhhistory.com/2016/12/a-charming-christmas-tradition-moravian.html. It seems the popularity of the putz houses/villages comes and goes. Though I love the houses I don't have any and don't think I would make them, most especially not with glitter!
      These post-covid times are hard. Things have changed so much with the economy and I think people are still suffering in various ways. I'm with you that childhood times look so pleasant from here. I miss the snow, too!

      Delete
  2. Love those Burgoyne blocks. I'm thinking this will be a good Christmas/holiday quilt with all the red and green I can see of these blocks. Not feeling very Christmasy here either, I think we're all just weary from the last few years, and with flu, RSV and covid still rearing their ugly heads, it's even more difficult. But I'm reminded of the Christmas card my good friend made last year, with simple line drawing of evergreens and her gorgeous calligraphy that said The Weary World Rejoices! Simple but true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. I really like these blocks, too. When they're with the others the quilt may not look so Christmasy, but a scrappy red and green one is a great idea.
      Your friend's Christmas card sounds beautiful and I love the idea that "the weary world rejoices." No matter how hard things are, we're still loved and know Who loves us.

      Delete
  3. Those Burgoyne blocks really sing to me. This is going to be a very striking quilt!
    Oh, I grew up with a village of those houses on our mantel. They had the cellophane windows, and mom would put a strand of lights down, then cover some of them with the houses, so the windows glowed. Next she would lay down cotton batting to cover the other lights and give the appearance of snow. That is a nostalgic memory for me.
    I hadn't felt Christmasy until last week week when I finally got all of the lighted garlands up, put the nativities in place, and decorated the tree. Now it is snowing outside, I have Christmas music playing (my "crooners" playlist), all of the lights on the tree and garlands are on, and I feel very Christmasy. :) Hopefully it will come soon for you, Nancy.
    I have to say, I know and love most of the movies on your list. I haven't seen The Santa Clause or Mixed Nuts, and I have only ever seen the stage production of The Forgotten Carols (and Home Alone didn't really do anything for me). But all of the others are in my DVD collection, and watched every year--among many others. I am kind of a Christmas movie collector, and I really love the old black and white ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like them, Janet.  I hope the whole quilt sings when I get it together!
      Your mom sounds like she really knew how to bring out the best in those little houses.  The setting sounds cozy and delightful!  What sweet memories.
      I'm still waiting to feel Christmasy but I'm hopeful it will happen this week.
      Please tell me which Christmas movies are your favorites, Janet, and can you share the titles of some that are not on our list?

      Delete
  4. I think your Burgoyne Surrounded is lovely and is going to be fun to use and decorate with. I'm not feeling very Christmasy as well. Can't put my finger on what makes the difference but it just sounds like a lot of work instead of a lot of fun. I still have two of the little glittered cardboard houses from my childhood with broken corners. I love them. We had a little village that Mom would assemble under the tree and there was a tiny plastic Santa with sleigh and reindeer that could be placed on top. These are the only two houses left. I hope you can find some joy in the season and maybe this Christmas will become a fabulously memorable one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. 

      It seems like more quilters than just us two are not feeling Christmasy.  It's happened to me in years past but I can't quite put my finger on why, either.  I wish I knew why it happens because then maybe I could prevent it.
      That's great you still have two of the cardboard houses, even with broken corners.  I love the idea of setting up a little village under the tree, and how fun to have had a Santa with sleigh and reindeer.  I can't remember what my mom did with the houses but I don't think she put them under the tree.
      I wish a fabulous Christmas for you, too.  Right now, I'm with you in thinking it just sounds like too much work.  We have a tree, candles in the windows, and a wreath on the door, and maybe that's all we'll have this year.  Oh, but I will put out one or two of our nativities.

      Delete
  5. Burgoyne looks wonderful with that background. Love those little scrappy trees, too. I am ready for Christmas, except for wrapping, but I'm not decorated. I'm waiting for my son to set up the tree, but I might have to have someone else do it, 'cause he doesn't seem to be getting to it! What a lovely thing to think about - a trolley hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. The light/white/cream/off-white backgrounds are mostly scrap pieces of fabric.

      I hope your son was able to set up the tree for you--or someone else if he wasn't. A tree's an important part of decorating for most people.

      Delete
  6. Hey there Nancy, I love your Burgoyne Surrounded blocks, the fabrics you've chosen suit it so well.
    I've never seen paper houses like that before, they're so pretty! I love all things Christmasy, so I'll probably make it my mission to find some here! And I understand what you mean when you say your not feeling Christmasy yet. I go through the motions of decorating etc, and I do love Christmas, but I feel like I can't focus on it properly until my daughter's mid December birthday is out of the way. Then it's all Christmas all the time.
    Hope you're having a great week
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tazzie. I hope you're able to find paper houses if you want them. I think the ones I see around here are made of thin wood but I haven't examined them in detail. 
      I hope your daughter has/had a wonderful birthday and that you enjoy the rest of the Christmas season.

      Delete
  7. Hi Nancy,
    The Burgoyne Surround quilt is on my bucket list, and I love it. Your looks great. The cardboard houses look like a fun project - like making a gingerbread house - but they would stay built and can be used the next year! Thanks for linking with Design Wall Mondays, Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment about my Burg.S. quilt, Judy. That's true, the cardboard houses would last longer than gingerbread houses! 
      Thanks so much for hosting Design Wall Mondays.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...