Friday, January 6, 2023

A Basket of Scraps - One Monthly Goal for January

This basket measures 12" x 16" by 9" deep (not including handles).  I borrowed it from the group of six we currently use as laundry baskets.  (At our old house the baskets held less-attractive items on open shelves in the kitchen.)  Now this one is full of scraps.  

A few years ago it held a layer or two of fabric at the bottom, pieces I'd cut to make a scrappy High Five, my first grandson's baby quilt.  And then, as things will happen, a few more pieces were added, and a few more, and on and on, and now the basket's full.  It weighs between 12 and 15 pounds.  All the pieces were neatly folded when I put them in the basket but they've probably shifted and will need pressed.   
I like a neat environment but it's hard because I'm a saver.  Oh, that might come in handy in the future.  Or, I'm saving that because I have something in particular in mind for it at some future time that never seems to come.  So I have fabric and other sewing-related items in displacement.  Sometimes that kind of disorganization prevents creative progress.  I know I saved that, now where did I put it?!

To be honest, this is not the only collection of scraps I have.  It's just that I'm focusing on this particular one this month.

So, I hope--no, I intend!--to sort out this basket this month as my One Monthly Goal.  It's a small step but one more in my effort to organize.  The basket could go back with the laundry and the fabric could go with its larger pieces; be cut into smaller, usable pieces or for specific blocks; or passed on.  I know there are several quilt blocks in pink and black, made by someone else and discarded, probably some pieces of embroidery, maybe some old fabric....  And who knows what else!  Maybe I'll take photos along the way to remind myself what not to do again!

I'm linking this post to January One Monthly Goal at Elm Street Quilts.  Thanks for hosting, Patty.  (And what is it about publicly declaring a goal that makes us follow through with it?  Accountability, maybe....

I'm also linking to Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework. Thank you, Cynthia.

--Nancy.

8 comments:

  1. I love this! It's great how you plan to sort and evolve, you're not all set already on a design. You may recall I do not keep scraps, but I think your basket, beautiful btw, will hold many hours of fun and inspiration.

    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the fabrics in that basket are different from ones I would choose now, LIzzy. I think many of them are modern prints in bright colors. I'll see when I start to dig--which must be soon or I won't finish by the end of the month!

      Delete
  2. A basketful of scraps... just fun! What a good goal for the beginning of the year. I have just started a new scrap basket..... we will see how long it takes to fill up. lol. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I find some fun fabrics in the basket, Cynthia. I really can't remember what's in there, only that they were, at one time, all neatly folded and I think they were bright, modern fabrics. We'll see. How fun for you to start another scrap basket.

      Delete
  3. Many years ago, before I started blogging, I took scraps from my Mom, and used what I had from the limited quilts I had made at that point and cut them all into tumbler shapes. I made a queen-size quilt with that random assortment of scraps and I loved the results. It was a hard quilt to give away. :) I wish you well with your goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a fun quilt, Janet.  Did you curate the colors or fabrics in any way?  Were the styles of fabrics similar or very different (as in all repros or repros plus 1930s plus more modern,etc.)?
      I haven't pulled anything from the basket yet (and I should get busy or I won't get the fabric sorted and put away) but if I remember correctly, most fabrics were strips about 2"-3" wide.  I've been sick the past week but I hope to feel well enough on Monday to begin.

      Delete
  4. That basket was my basket a year ago! It's an adorable basket, btw! And honestly, my basket is a lot larger!! I sorted and worked through that basket over the year, with the RSC and emptied it out. Except for the whites, blacks and browns! I have a plan for those now, too. Best wishes for your scrap basket, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Nancy. I really need to think about doing the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...