Saturday, January 7, 2023

From Finishes to Unfinished

It's probably a good thing to review how I spent my quilting time during the year, for both both finished and in-progress quilts.  It was a challenging year for a variety of reasons--every month or few weeks there was a home or some other big problem--and my quilting life seemed to suffer a little.  Hence so few finishes.  But here we go.

The Finishes of 2022.  All the way to the binding, in no particular order

Cheddarback was a quilt-along with Gaye Bomers.  I finished the top in 2018 or 2019, then layered, quilted, and bound it in 2022.
Cheddarback

Dear Prudence
is a small quilt, sewn as a quilt-along with Pam Buda.  Hers had an outer border of pink.  The pink fabric I had just didn't work for me so I changed it.
Dear Prudence quilt
Little Blue Folly is another little quilt.  Looking at it now I wish I'd chosen red circles instead of the triangles.  I have no use for this quilt so it is truly a folly.
Little Blue Folly scrap quilt
Coral and Grey is another little quilt.  (You'd think I like making little quilts....)  The coral pieces were leftovers from the churn dash quilt, below.
Coral and Grey log cabin quiltlet
Buckeye Beauty is a baby/toddler-sized quilt I started more than a few years ago and never quite fell in love with.  I like it better now that it's finished.  It's still waiting for a little someone who needs it.
Buckeye Beauty quilt
The Interim Finishes and In-progress Quilts of 2022.  Some of these have been in progress for a few years and received extra time in 2022.  Other than the small quilts, above, I don't think I started a single new quilt.

Churndash Top is one I started to participate in ChookyBlue's sew-along this year.  The top is finished and awaiting the "perfect" backing fabric.   Corals are one of my favorite colors of, of course, I love this top.  Maybe I will be able to quilt it in 2023.
churn dash quilt in coral colors
Flowers, a Linda Brannock pattern, was a sew-along in a Facebook group.  I'm currently hand quilting it, not yet halfway finished.
Little Plaid Baskets with Zinnias.  I started the basket blocks at least 6 or 8 years ago -- empty baskets with no idea what to do with them.  I decided on zinnias and spent some time making the flowers and leaves, all of which still need appliqued (after deciding placement).  The layout of the blocks is still under consideration.  I didn't think I'd like them lined up in rows but they look so cheerful. 
little plaid baskets with zinnias quilt blocks
Burgoyne Surrounded just happened last year.  I had lots of little 1½" squares and decided to use them for that.  It is currently awaiting a border with appliqued leaves along one side.
Burgoyne Surrounded quilt
Quilts in Progress from Previous Years

Baskets of Plenty was Cheri Payne's last Facebook sew-along.  She give us the pattern pieces and we decided their placement.  I love these blocks which is making it really hard to choose sashing and finishing--because I don't want to ruin them.  Perhaps this is the year I will unstitch the sashing (which is so static) and create a beautiful quilt of them.
Baskets of Plenty, a Cheri Payne pattern
The Blue Sampler Blocks are ones I made with the idea of variations on a theme.  I will probably need to make a few more for a decent sized quilt--or make a smaller quilt.  Maybe these will get some attention this yea.
blue sampler quilt blocks
Time Flies is awaiting backing and quilting.
Time Flies hourglass quilt
Everyday Patchwork has backing on a bag and may be next up for hand quilting.
Everyday Patchwork, a Cheri Payne pattern
It's so easy to start a quilt, and sometimes so hard to finish.  The easiest part for me is making the blocks after choosing colors and fabrics.

And just to say, I'm amazed at the speed at which some of you create and finish quilts.  It's fun to imagine getting faster but as I get older I'm getting slower, so there's not much hope for speed for me.  That's really okay because there's so much joy no matter the speed.

I wish you a Happy New Year!

--Nancy.

18 comments:

  1. You have lovely finishes and UFO's in progress...I do love that Cheddarback one--choosing just one to finish must be hard. They are all so pretty...Meanwhile, I am still trying to fix the positions of my 2nd group of crumb blocks. hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose.  It is hard to choose the next quilt to work on.  Choosing the next to quilt is based on finding backing fabric!  I think your crumb blocks are looking great! 

      Delete
  2. This is a great year in review. I agree - easy and exciting to start a new quilt - so much harder to finish. I get stuck on sashings and borders, lol. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia. I get stuck on borders, too, and then bindings--measuring and sewing....

      Delete
  3. I love looking at all your quilts. You do such nice work. I think, sometimes, we compare our speed or output with others and it's like comparing apples and oranges. I definitely don't get my quilts quilted very quickly. The red & white house quilt took five months. The one I'm working on right now is going to take a while too. The hard part is trying not to start anything while I'm in the process of quilting so the number of quilt tops in the queue go down not up. It is great to see your Cheddarback again, it's so lovely. I'm ready to hang mine in the living room. . . maybe March. The zinnias are so pretty and I like the triangles in your little Folly. Just enjoy the process and keep sharing your outlook and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I think my work looks better from a distance than close up.... I know it's not good to compare and I try not to, and usually succeed. I know some people devote more time or work faster and it really doesn't matter. Enjoying the process is most important.
      I agree, it's hard not to start something new when there's something old, but my fingers limit how long I can quilt in a day which means, essentially, that I sew a quilt top faster than I can hand quilt one but I have to have both going. It's a balance I haven't managed to work out yet.

      Delete
  4. Wow, you really accomplished a lot in 2022, and those in progress quilts are all so pretty, wonder which one will get top billing for a 2023 finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like I accomplished so little this year, Pat, but thank you for the encouragement.  The next top in the que to be quilted will be that one I find backing for which, currently, is Everyday Patchwork.  But I'd really like to get Time Flies quilted but haven't found backing yet. 

      Delete
  5. I absolutely adore your folly quilt, the greens and blues, the red triangles, the red binding, everything about it. My second favorite is the rounded baskets. I've wanted to make something like that for a long time, and even bought a pattern. But no making yet. I've only had the pattern since 2011. It isn't seasoned enough yet! LOL Third is Cheri Payne's baskets. I just love baskets! I'm still working on Sweet Land of Liberty, though! All of your quilts are wonderful. If they take a while, they are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. You are so generous with your compliments! I like the rounded baskets, too. I keep making adjustments to my original pattern so by this point, there are at least 3 or 4 different patterns. You'll get to your pattern one of these days.... My Sweet Land of Liberty is still in progress, too. I think I have the bottom section to do. One of these days, like your basket pattern.

      Delete
  6. I can relate, Nancy--I always like quilts better awhile after they're finished, too! That Cheddarback quilt is gorgeous!!! Your quilts are mostly pretty complicated. Love the blue blocks, Time Flies--so much fun to see your quilt parade!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Nancy.  I hadn't thought of my quilts being complicated but I guess you're right.  Probably the simplest quilt (blocks to make) of the ones in this post is Time Flies. 

      Delete
  7. I love these round up type posts. I get to see so many interesting, inspiring projects, Nancy. You did well; I think you had a super productive year. Funny I was thinking about Cheri last night...how many years gone now already it seems. I love those baskets. Anyway, here's to another happy stitching year for us both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post, Jocelyn.  It is fun to look at a post packed with photos of finished tops and quilts. 
      I was remembering Cheri a few weeks ago, too, probably when I published this post.  I'm so grateful to have participated in her last sew-along.  She died just before or just after we finished the baskets.
      Yes, I hope we both have a great stitching year.

      Delete
  8. I really like your Cheddarback quilt. I was working on that BOM, too and then decided I did not like it enough to finish. Your quilt is so nice that I think I should take a look at my blocks again. Of course your zinnias in baskets is adorable so maybe Cheddarback should wait. But really, I need to finish up my Potluck BOW from Sentimental Stitches. Squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. I thought Cheddarback was a really challenging quilt to make and I can understand not finishing it. I like it a lot but sometimes, we decide some quilts just aren't worth the time or effort. I'll have to take a look at Potluck. I keep up with Sentimental Stitches but I can't remember that quilt.

      Delete
  9. Your Flowers quilt is lovely!!!! I also really dig those baskets!
    Karmen (Brannock) Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karmen. I enjoyed making Flowers and sometimes felt challenged by it, too. I'm in the process of quilting it now. (I make tops faster that I quilt so it will be another month or three before I finish it.)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...