Thursday, April 27, 2023

Links to Enjoy #8

Here are a few links I've collected over the past several weeks, ones that impressed me as odd, unusual, beautiful, or interesting.  I hope you find one or two to enjoy.

A village of charming little houses, photographed by Domagoj Burilović, are now deserted and being taken over by nature.  They were built in the 19th century in the Croatian region of Slavonia.  They are similar but so individual.  I could get behind making a house quilt based on these houses.  More here and here.

Fraktur art = primitive art?  I love those little suns at the bottom.  Read more here.


The sun and these photos of it amaze me.  I cannot imagine its size, or heat, or how its light travels, considering the distance and speed:  it doesn't seem like it would travel fast enough to reach us each morning, and yet we have sunrise and sunset.  I wonder what proportion the photos are to real life. 

I loved this video about American painter John Singer Sargent and how he painted.



There's always something new to see or learn in the natural world, like the undersides of mushrooms.

It was interesting to learn that I may have inherited my fear (or maybe it's just a strong discomfort) of heights from my mom.  At least this article suggests that possibility as well as about inheriting other non-physical traits.

I hope you found something to enjoy.

--Nancy.

12 comments:

  1. I just had to read that article on inherited fears. I am afraid of heights and have never overcome it. However, I was afraid of public speaking but overcame it through practice. At home they say these fears are part of you or "the way you're knit"...LOL Thanks for the interesting links, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Jocelyn.  I wonder how many of our inherited fears can be overcome if we're really dedicated to doing so.  I'm uncomfortable with heights but so rarely am I in a situation that requires me to be high that I think it would be hard to become comfortable.  But like your public speaking, probably frequency helps.  But maybe there are some fears we never overcome no matter how hard we try.  I don't know.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the links, Nancy--especially the video about John Singer Sargent. That fascinated me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found them interesting, Janet. I thought the John Singer Sargent video was really interesting. I've loved his paintings for years but I don't think I've had the opportunity to look at one as closely as in the video. So interesting.

      Delete
  3. I have no desire to taste mushrooms, but those are beautiful examples of them. The information on Sargeant was very interesting, and I really liked those houses - it seems a shame to let them rot away and be taken over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the houses, Susan. It seems like European countries are usually really good about preserving old buildings. I don't know what happened with those houses. They look charming to me. Yes, a shame they've let them deteriorate.

      Delete
  4. I have enjoyed several of the items in this email and I thank you for them! The video of Sargent’s work is wonderful. He is one of my favorites and I did not know all this about him. The photos of the mushrooms are so interesting, and the moldering houses are charming and sad…..where is historical preservation there? I am familiar with franktur, as some of the current crossstitch patterns are taken from those works. It has been a delight to read this email! Again, thank you! Carol in Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Carol. I'm glad you enjoyed the links.

      Delete
    2. Carol, do you have a blog? What is it's name or url, please? Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Oops! Fraktur……not franktur!! Sorry. Carol in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy the links! I have a few phobias, none of which my parents had, or admitted to anyway. Love the little houses.
    Fractur---something can be folk art but not primitive, some folkart like this is quite sophisticated. I have an acquaintance who still makes such documents professionally, tho of course is her version and not vernacular inherited art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the links, Lizzy.
      Yes, I guess there is a difference between primitive and folk art.  Sometimes I put them in the same category, and I think they sometimes are, but not always.  I could just imagine Cheri Payne or some of the other primitive quilters borrowing those suns, birds, etc., for their quilt patterns.  It would be fun to see your acquaintance's documents.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...